Can anyone explain this?



Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Paul

Guest
I had a strange thing happen today. My bike was proped against a kerb whilst I went into a shop.
It's a pretty windy day so I wasn't too suprised to find that it had blown over (it had fallen onto
it's right side, away from the kerb).

What I was suprised to find was that the left front brake block (opposite side to the one on which
the bike was lying) was wedged right under the front rim! It touch a fair amount of force pulling on
the brake arm to pull the block out from under the rim!

I can't work out how on earth this happened. Even if the bike fell heavily and struck the front
brake lever as it landed (which it probably wouldn't since the right pedal would have hit the ground
first) this wouldn't have caused enough force, it is not possible to jam the brake block under the
rim how ever hard you compress the lever.

With the brake block, arm pulled back into place every thing is fine, the front wheel is true and
secure and spins between the brake blocks. The front brake works without problem.

I appreciate that this isn't really a proper question but I am intrigued to fine out what
happened. Short of someone actually kicking the bike over hard and striking the left front brake
arm I'm at a loss.

I'd be interested to hear anyone's thoughts,

Paul.
 
T

Tony Raven

Guest
Paul <[email protected]> wrote:

>
> I appreciate that this isn't really a proper question but I am intrigued to fine out what
> happened. Short of someone actually kicking the bike over hard and striking the left front brake
> arm I'm at a loss.
>
> I'd be interested to hear anyone's thoughts,
>

<Dah de dah dah Dah de dah da>

Did all the electrical devices in the area stop working for a time? Do you have gaps in your memory?
Are you feeling sore in unexpected places?

</Dah de dah dah Dah de dah dah>

Tony

--
http://www.raven-family.com

"I don't want any yes-men around me. I want everybody to tell me the truth even if it costs them
their job."

Samuel Goldwyn
 
J

John B

Guest
Paul wrote:

> I had a strange thing happen today. My bike was proped against a kerb whilst I went into a shop.
> It's a pretty windy day so I wasn't too suprised to find that it had blown over (it had fallen
> onto it's right side, away from the kerb).
>
> What I was suprised to find was that the left front brake block (opposite side to the one on which
> the bike was lying) was wedged right under the front rim!

> I'd be interested to hear anyone's thoughts,
>

In my first massed start road race I crashed whilst turning left. The bike slid from under me , left
side down. The right hand side of the saddle was severely grazed.

It's ****led me ever since.

There are strange forces at work sometimes.

John B
 
D

Dave

Guest
"Paul" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I had a strange thing happen today. My bike was proped against a kerb
whilst
> I went into a shop. It's a pretty windy day so I wasn't too suprised to
find
> that it had blown over (it had fallen onto it's right side, away from the kerb).
>
> What I was suprised to find was that the left front brake block (opposite side to the one on which
> the bike was lying) was wedged right under the front rim! It touch a fair amount of force pulling
> on the brake arm to
pull
> the block out from under the rim!
>
> I can't work out how on earth this happened. Even if the bike fell heavily and struck the front
> brake lever as it landed (which it probably wouldn't since the right pedal would have hit the
> ground first) this wouldn't have caused enough force, it is not possible to jam the brake block
> under the
rim
> how ever hard you compress the lever.
>
> With the brake block, arm pulled back into place every thing is fine, the front wheel is true and
> secure and spins between the brake blocks. The
front
> brake works without problem.
>
> I appreciate that this isn't really a proper question but I am intrigued
to
> fine out what happened. Short of someone actually kicking the bike over
hard
> and striking the left front brake arm I'm at a loss.
>
> I'd be interested to hear anyone's thoughts,
>
> Paul.
>
>
One of God's little jokes mate....funny, ain't she ? ;-)

Dave.
 
D

Dave Kahn

Guest
"Paul" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...

> What I was suprised to find was that the left front brake block (opposite side to the one on which
> the bike was lying) was wedged right under the front rim! It touch a fair amount of force pulling
> on the brake arm to pull the block out from under the rim!
>
> I can't work out how on earth this happened.

What sort of brakes? Cantis?

--
Dave...
 
D

David E. Belche

Guest
"Tony Raven" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
>
> Did all the electrical devices in the area stop working for a time? Do you have gaps in your
> memory? Are you feeling sore in unexpected places?
>

<TV Go Home>

"....if so, the Kilroy team would like to hear from you on 0870-311233"

</TV Go Home>

Couldn't resist it. Well, it *is* a Friday afternoon, hence the suitably silly mood....

David E. Belcher

Dept. of Chemistry, University of York
 
T

Tony Raven

Guest
"David E. Belcher" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>
> Couldn't resist it. Well, it *is* a Friday afternoon, hence the suitably silly mood....
>

You think it funny that every day good decent honest hardworking cycling folk are being abducted by
aliens and returned to earth with misaligned brake blocks?

Tony
 
J

James Hodson

Guest
On Thu, 13 Mar 2003 19:05:58 +0000, John B <[email protected]> wrote:

>In my first massed start road race I crashed whilst turning left. The bike slid from under me ,
>left side down. The right hand side of the saddle was severely grazed.
>
>It's ****led me ever since.
>
>There are strange forces at work sometimes.
>

It is indeed a funny old world, John.

A most strange thing happened to me on Tuesday evening. Having made friends with several bottles of
red wine, I fell over on exiting a taximeter cabriolet. The following morning - I calculate that
would be a Wednesday - I woke up after a fashion, wandered around for a while, looked in the
bathroom mirror and stated to myself: "Yuk. Blood".

My splendidly grazed forehead and nose, together with a lovely black, blue, yellow and puce eye made
me believe that aliens were no doubt afoot the previous night.

There could well be some other more plausible explanation but I cannot for the life of me think of
what it may be.

If only I had a digital camera. JPEGs. .-(

James

--
A credit limit is NOT a target.
 
G

Graeme

Guest
"Paul" <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:

<snip>
> I'd be interested to hear anyone's thoughts,
>
> Paul.

Leaving the very plausible explanation of extraterrestrial involvement aside, perhaps it was some
malicious yob stamping on your brake just to ******** a cyclist? Hmmmm..... nah, I'd go with the
little green men explanation. They're the same buggers who seem to manage to put puncture holes in
inner tubes at least 20 degrees away from where the nail/thorn/whatever is stuck in the tyre.

Have fun!

Graeme
 
Status
Not open for further replies.