Can anyone explain this?

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Paul, Mar 13, 2003.

  1. Paul

    Paul Guest

    I had a strange thing happen today. My bike was proped against a kerb whilst I went into a shop.
    It's a pretty windy day so I wasn't too suprised to find that it had blown over (it had fallen onto
    it's right side, away from the kerb).

    What I was suprised to find was that the left front brake block (opposite side to the one on which
    the bike was lying) was wedged right under the front rim! It touch a fair amount of force pulling on
    the brake arm to pull the block out from under the rim!

    I can't work out how on earth this happened. Even if the bike fell heavily and struck the front
    brake lever as it landed (which it probably wouldn't since the right pedal would have hit the ground
    first) this wouldn't have caused enough force, it is not possible to jam the brake block under the
    rim how ever hard you compress the lever.

    With the brake block, arm pulled back into place every thing is fine, the front wheel is true and
    secure and spins between the brake blocks. The front brake works without problem.

    I appreciate that this isn't really a proper question but I am intrigued to fine out what
    happened. Short of someone actually kicking the bike over hard and striking the left front brake
    arm I'm at a loss.

    I'd be interested to hear anyone's thoughts,

    Paul.

    Tags:

  2. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    Paul <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I appreciate that this isn't really a proper question but I am intrigued to fine out what
    > happened. Short of someone actually kicking the bike over hard and striking the left front brake
    > arm I'm at a loss.
    >
    > I'd be interested to hear anyone's thoughts,

    <Dah de dah dah Dah de dah da>

    Did all the electrical devices in the area stop working for a time? Do you have gaps in your memory?
    Are you feeling sore in unexpected places?

    </Dah de dah dah Dah de dah dah>

    Tony

    --
    http://www.raven-family.com

    "I don't want any yes-men around me. I want everybody to tell me the truth even if it costs them
    their job."

    Samuel Goldwyn

  3. John B

    John B Guest

    Paul wrote:

    > I had a strange thing happen today. My bike was proped against a kerb whilst I went into a shop.
    > It's a pretty windy day so I wasn't too suprised to find that it had blown over (it had fallen
    > onto it's right side, away from the kerb).
    >
    > What I was suprised to find was that the left front brake block (opposite side to the one on which
    > the bike was lying) was wedged right under the front rim!

    > I'd be interested to hear anyone's thoughts,

    In my first massed start road race I crashed whilst turning left. The bike slid from under me , left
    side down. The right hand side of the saddle was severely grazed.

    It's niggled me ever since.

    There are strange forces at work sometimes.

    John B

  4. Dave

    Dave Guest

    "Paul" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I had a strange thing happen today. My bike was proped against a kerb
    whilst
    > I went into a shop. It's a pretty windy day so I wasn't too suprised to
    find
    > that it had blown over (it had fallen onto it's right side, away from the kerb).
    >
    > What I was suprised to find was that the left front brake block (opposite side to the one on which
    > the bike was lying) was wedged right under the front rim! It touch a fair amount of force pulling
    > on the brake arm to
    pull
    > the block out from under the rim!
    >
    > I can't work out how on earth this happened. Even if the bike fell heavily and struck the front
    > brake lever as it landed (which it probably wouldn't since the right pedal would have hit the
    > ground first) this wouldn't have caused enough force, it is not possible to jam the brake block
    > under the
    rim
    > how ever hard you compress the lever.
    >
    > With the brake block, arm pulled back into place every thing is fine, the front wheel is true and
    > secure and spins between the brake blocks. The
    front
    > brake works without problem.
    >
    > I appreciate that this isn't really a proper question but I am intrigued
    > fine out what happened. Short of someone actually kicking the bike over
    hard
    > and striking the left front brake arm I'm at a loss.
    >
    > I'd be interested to hear anyone's thoughts,
    >
    > Paul.

    One of God's little jokes mate....funny, ain't she ? ;-)

    Dave.

  5. Dave Kahn

    Dave Kahn Guest

    "Paul" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...

    > What I was suprised to find was that the left front brake block (opposite side to the one on which
    > the bike was lying) was wedged right under the front rim! It touch a fair amount of force pulling
    > on the brake arm to pull the block out from under the rim!
    >
    > I can't work out how on earth this happened.

    What sort of brakes? Cantis?

    --
    Dave...

  6. "Tony Raven" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...

    > Did all the electrical devices in the area stop working for a time? Do you have gaps in your
    > memory? Are you feeling sore in unexpected places?

    <TV Go Home>

    "....if so, the Kilroy team would like to hear from you on 0870-311233"

    </TV Go Home>

    Couldn't resist it. Well, it *is* a Friday afternoon, hence the suitably silly mood....

    David E. Belcher

    Dept. of Chemistry, University of York

  7. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    "David E. Belcher" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > Couldn't resist it. Well, it *is* a Friday afternoon, hence the suitably silly mood....

    You think it funny that every day good decent honest hardworking cycling folk are being abducted by
    aliens and returned to earth with misaligned brake blocks?

    Tony

  8. James Hodson

    James Hodson Guest

    On Thu, 13 Mar 2003 19:05:58 +0000, John B <[email protected]> wrote:

    >In my first massed start road race I crashed whilst turning left. The bike slid from under me ,
    >left side down. The right hand side of the saddle was severely grazed.
    >
    >It's niggled me ever since.
    >
    >There are strange forces at work sometimes.

    It is indeed a funny old world, John.

    A most strange thing happened to me on Tuesday evening. Having made friends with several bottles of
    red wine, I fell over on exiting a taximeter cabriolet. The following morning - I calculate that
    would be a Wednesday - I woke up after a fashion, wandered around for a while, looked in the
    bathroom mirror and stated to myself: "Yuk. Blood".

    My splendidly grazed forehead and nose, together with a lovely black, blue, yellow and puce eye made
    me believe that aliens were no doubt afoot the previous night.

    There could well be some other more plausible explanation but I cannot for the life of me think of
    what it may be.

    If only I had a digital camera. JPEGs. .-(

    James

    --
    A credit limit is NOT a target.

  9. Paul

    Paul Guest

    V brakes.

    Paul

  10. Graeme

    Graeme Guest

    "Paul" <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:

    <snip>
    > I'd be interested to hear anyone's thoughts,
    >
    > Paul.

    Leaving the very plausible explanation of extraterrestrial involvement aside, perhaps it was some
    malicious yob stamping on your brake just to piss off a cyclist? Hmmmm..... nah, I'd go with the
    little green men explanation. They're the same buggers who seem to manage to put puncture holes in
    inner tubes at least 20 degrees away from where the nail/thorn/whatever is stuck in the tyre.

    Have fun!

    Graeme