can carbon fibre be repaired?

ALAN OBRIEN

Jan 23, 2004
:confused: hi guys,
iwas cleaning down my bike yesterday when i noticed a small crack in the carbon just above the right rear dropout.
my question is, 1. can it be repaired?
2.if so, do i have to send it back to manufacturer?
3. is there anywhere in ireland that might be able to help, if i
dont have to send it back to manufacturer?
sorry, should have mentioned earlier its a colnago active.
thanks in advance for all your help,
alan. :confused:

Hi Alan,
1. Yes
2. No question the preferred route...what I would do.
3. Not familiar with frame builders in Ireland but would trust the manufacturer
the most.
Nice bike BTW and good luck,
George

What looks like a crack in the fibre is often a harmless crack in the clear coat... maybe a trip to your LBS is in order?

biker7 said:
Hi Alan,
Not familiar with frame builders in Ireland...
Come on George you know colnago's aren't built in ireland...I know you do.

RC2 said:
Come on George you know colnago's aren't built in ireland...I know you do.
Rc2, Alan asked for an Irish reference because he's looking for a (presumably) local place to get his frame looked at.

lokstah said:
Rc2, Alan asked for an Irish reference because he's looking for a (presumably) local place to get his frame looked at.

I knew it. Neurons a little slow today...

hey RC, isn't a board consensus that the best frames are made in Taiwan?
;)
George

how bout a Taiwanese bath house with Irish women with that beautiful white skin :cool:
George

:p just slap a little J-B Weld on it and go riding.Then put a band-aid on it for a good conversation starter on your next group ride. Let us know how it works out.

RC2 said:
What looks like a crack in the fibre is often a harmless crack in the clear coat... maybe a trip to your LBS is in order?

just had another look at the bike, definitly a crack. actually coming close to being a chunk of carbon about 5mm x 5mm starting to come away from the frame. as you guys can imagine im a tad ****** off about this, i guess im going to have to send the frame back. anyone know how long colnago guarantees their frames for? i was told, when i received the frame but i just cant remember. :( :(

I would fill that crack with epoxy, thats what the carbon fibers are reinforced with when they are manufactured. You'll be fine with epoxy because it will contain the broken fibers... you don't want sheets of carbon fibers to start to peel away, because as soon as they do, the part/tube will catastrophically fail.

keanu122 said:
I would fill that crack with epoxy, thats what the carbon fibers are reinforced with when they are manufactured. You'll be fine with epoxy because it will contain the broken fibers... you don't want sheets of carbon fibers to start to peel away, because as soon as they do, the part/tube will catastrophically fail.

If I knew Colnago wasn't going to do anything (if it was obvious that my 3-yr wacked the stay with a golf club for instance) I would do this. Problem w/epoxy is that it doesn't do very well in torsion. It might protect the fibers but that's about it. With the crack adjacent to the dropout I'd see if Colnago will do anything, not familiar with their warranty.

:rolleyes: All kidding aside,don't try to repair it until you contact Colnago. Once you mess with it they can't see the original damage. I hope you have proof of purchase because they do not like doing warranty if they think you bought it from e-bay real cheap and then trying to scam them. I would go to their web site and contact them. Please let us know what their warranty is and how they handle this situation. That way the rest of us will know the way they treat their customers and if we should stay away from their frames.

keanu122 said:
That is just dumbassery if one has warranty,and could just be covering up a potentially bigger problem,that could result in injury or death.

is that how you got disfigured Barge-troll :eek:...you had a cracked Colnago?
Does sound like a personal problem.
George

biker7 said:
George
Your complimentary FOOL hat is in the mail. :rolleyes:

biker7 said:
George

Give it a rest lad....every thread lately seems to have something like this in it from you.