Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Can I modify a freewheel to be fixed?

Started by BimmsAndBices · · Last activity · 7 posts · 1,447 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
16 January 2007
Last activity
16 January 2007
Original author
BimmsAndBices
Posts
7
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,447
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–7 of 7
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I do plan on getting a proper fixed gear hub, but for now I wanted to see if I could make a regular hub lock up completely somehow. Ideas?

  2. BimmsAndBices said:

    I do plan on getting a proper fixed gear hub, but for now I wanted to see if I could make a regular hub lock up completely somehow. Ideas?

    Freewheel hub - just screw on a track cog with some locktite.

    Cassette freehub - not much you can do, some have tried epoxy and soldering, most have failed.

  3. BimmsAndBices said:

    I do plan on getting a proper fixed gear hub, but for now I wanted to see if I could make a regular hub lock up completely somehow. Ideas?


    Get a Surly Fixxer: aebike.compage.cfm to convert a Shimano cassette hub into a real fixed gear hub complete with lockring threading.

  4. BimmsAndBices said:

    I do plan on getting a proper fixed gear hub, but for now I wanted to see if I could make a regular hub lock up completely somehow. Ideas?


    You may want to check with Sheldon Brown's fixed gear articles

    sheldonbrown.comindex.html

  5. BimmsAndBices said:

    I do plan on getting a proper fixed gear hub, but for now I wanted to see if I could make a regular hub lock up completely somehow. Ideas?


    forget modifying it no matter what you try it will move, and make nice crunchy noises. there must be someone around with a bunch of old fixy wheels that could lend you an old [censored].

  6. Insaneclimber said:

    forget modifying it no matter what you try it will move, and make nice crunchy noises

    Yup.

    If you are really keen and know someone with a mig welder, you could probably do it. If you havea spare disc hub you can use that, I did it. I used a front hub and drilled a cog to fit. Put a new axle in, respaced and redished and bingo. Done. Works well too.

    Otherwise get an IRO hub. 130mm compatible, cartridge bearings and cheap.

  7. Unless you have track ends (horiz drop-outs) it's gonne be like learning the art of Zen. If you have an old steal frame you can get a local frame builder to weld you some track ends on. some people use ghost rings but other then that just give in now

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.