General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Can I qualify for Boston?

Started by KYRunner · · Last activity · 11 posts · 473 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
18 July 2004
Last activity
20 July 2004
Original author
KYRunner
Posts
11
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
473
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–11 of 11
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I would really like to run Boston next year so I have been trying to get
    serious about my running. I have ran two marathons in the past, the last
    being WDW in 2001. I am 34 male but will be 35 this fall so I will need a
    3:15 to qualify. A friend a work convinced me to run the Houston marathon
    with him (his first and he wants to go back to his hometown to run it) in
    January.

    My question: Is this a reasonable goal for me or am I expecting to much and
    courting disastor by trying.

    Here is this weeks workout:

    Monday - Rest
    Tuesday - 3 miles at 7:21 pace
    Wednesday- 6 miles at 7:55 pace under 70% heart rate ( (max-resting)*.70 +
    resting) for me 176)
    Thursday - 3 miles at 6:58 pace (nice weather that day 🙂)
    Friday - Rest
    Saturday - 12 miles at 7:59 pace under 70% (8:03 first half - 7:55 2nd
    half first negative long run)
    Sunday - Will run 6 miles under 70% expect around 7:50 or so

    Any comments or feedback would be greatly appreciated.

    Thanks

  2. One dark day on Usenet, "KYRunner" <[email hidden]> said
    news:4WjKc.103161$a24.4408@attbi_s03:

    Quoted message said:

    I would really like to run Boston next year so I have been trying to
    get serious about my running. I have ran two marathons in the past,
    the last being WDW in 2001. I am 34 male but will be 35 this fall so
    I will need a 3:15 to qualify. A friend a work convinced me to run
    the Houston marathon with him (his first and he wants to go back to
    his hometown to run it) in January.

    My question: Is this a reasonable goal for me or am I expecting to
    much and courting disastor by trying.

    Here is this weeks workout:

    Monday - Rest
    Tuesday - 3 miles at 7:21 pace
    Wednesday- 6 miles at 7:55 pace under 70% heart rate (
    (max-resting)*.70 + resting) for me 176)
    Thursday - 3 miles at 6:58 pace (nice weather that day 🙂)
    Friday - Rest
    Saturday - 12 miles at 7:59 pace under 70% (8:03 first half - 7:55
    2nd half first negative long run)
    Sunday - Will run 6 miles under 70% expect around 7:50 or so

    Any recent racing history? Based on the various tables you would need to
    be able to run these race times in order to be "in shape" for a 3:15
    marathon (assuming you've trained for the distance with appropriate
    mileage, long runs, etc.)

    10K - 41:33
    10 Mile - 1:09:37
    1/2 Marathon - 1:32:28

    Phil M.

    --
    If you can empty your own boat
    Crossing the river of the world,
    No one will oppose you,
    No one will seek to harm you. -Chuang Tzu

  3. Haven't ran a race since 2001. I have run on and off sporadically since
    then. Today's long run was my longest since I ran 18miles in San Fran in
    Spring 2001 (ran over the Golden Gate a must run at least once in a
    lifetime). After that I developed a stress fracture and fell of the wagon.
    Few months ago I woke up with the strong desire to give it another goal,
    this is my first serious running during the summer since my first marathon
    was in April and the second in January. I don't really like the heat and
    humidity and am always much faster with less effort on the days the weather
    breaks.

    I just want to know if I am just not fast enough yet to pull it off this
    year and should wait or if I got a decent shot? Also would like to know
    what I can do to improve my chances, assuming there is a chance.

    "Phil M." <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    One dark day on Usenet, "KYRunner" <[email hidden]> said
    news:4WjKc.103161$a24.4408@attbi_s03:

    Quoted message said:

    I would really like to run Boston next year so I have been trying to
    get serious about my running. I have ran two marathons in the past,
    the last being WDW in 2001. I am 34 male but will be 35 this fall so
    I will need a 3:15 to qualify. A friend a work convinced me to run
    the Houston marathon with him (his first and he wants to go back to
    his hometown to run it) in January.

    My question: Is this a reasonable goal for me or am I expecting to
    much and courting disastor by trying.

    Here is this weeks workout:

    Monday - Rest
    Tuesday - 3 miles at 7:21 pace
    Wednesday- 6 miles at 7:55 pace under 70% heart rate (
    (max-resting)*.70 + resting) for me 176)
    Thursday - 3 miles at 6:58 pace (nice weather that day 🙂)
    Friday - Rest
    Saturday - 12 miles at 7:59 pace under 70% (8:03 first half - 7:55
    2nd half first negative long run)
    Sunday - Will run 6 miles under 70% expect around 7:50 or so

    Any recent racing history? Based on the various tables you would need to
    be able to run these race times in order to be "in shape" for a 3:15
    marathon (assuming you've trained for the distance with appropriate
    mileage, long runs, etc.)

    10K - 41:33
    10 Mile - 1:09:37
    1/2 Marathon - 1:32:28

    Phil M.

    --
    If you can empty your own boat
    Crossing the river of the world,
    No one will oppose you,
    No one will seek to harm you. -Chuang Tzu

  4. Quoted message said:

    I just want to know if I am just not fast enough yet to pull it off this
    year and should wait or if I got a decent shot? Also would like to know
    what I can do to improve my chances, assuming there is a chance.

    I qualified with a 3:15 flat (gun time) on slower training runs than
    the ones you listed. (My non-speedwork training pace was about 8:15.)
    If running at that pace isn't wearing you out, I'd say, find a good
    workout plan that includes 6-8 weeks or more at 50+ mpw and you'll be
    fine.

    --
    Brian P. Baresch
    Fort Worth, Texas, USA
    Professional editing and proofreading

    If you're going through hell, keep going. --Winston Churchill

  5. KYRunner said:

    I would really like to run Boston next year so I have been trying to get
    serious about my running. I have ran two marathons in the past, the last
    being WDW in 2001. I am 34 male but will be 35 this fall so I will need a
    3:15 to qualify. A friend a work convinced me to run the Houston marathon
    with him (his first and he wants to go back to his hometown to run it) in
    January.

    My question: Is this a reasonable goal for me or am I expecting to much and
    courting disastor by trying.

    No-one can say for sure at this stage -- it's months away, and you haven't
    posted any race times, and marathons are unpredictable anyway.

    Having said that, your training runs appear to be in the right ballpark, and
    you've got some time to prepare. So if you're asking whether you should just
    give up in desperation today or not, I'd say you shouldn't.

    Enter a half marathon further down the track (after it cools down a bit) and
    you'll have a better idea where you stand.

    Cheers,
    --
    Donovan Rebbechi
    http://pegasus.rutgers.edu/~elflord/

  6. Phil is right. To know if you are in the ballpark, program some races into
    your training.

    I'd stick with an occasional 10k, since you can recover from them in a few
    days.
    They are also an excellent lactate threshold workout.

    A half marathon will wreck the next training week because of the recovery
    time.

    If you can run low 41's, and you've got a good base (50+ mpw), and you get
    your long runs in, I'd say you have an excellent chance.

    Based on your typical paces, I'd say you have the talent to break 3 if you
    got serious.

    -- Dan

    "Phil M." <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    One dark day on Usenet, "KYRunner" <[email hidden]> said
    news:4WjKc.103161$a24.4408@attbi_s03:

    Quoted message said:

    I would really like to run Boston next year so I have been trying to
    get serious about my running. I have ran two marathons in the past,
    the last being WDW in 2001. I am 34 male but will be 35 this fall so
    I will need a 3:15 to qualify. A friend a work convinced me to run
    the Houston marathon with him (his first and he wants to go back to
    his hometown to run it) in January.

    My question: Is this a reasonable goal for me or am I expecting to
    much and courting disastor by trying.

    Here is this weeks workout:

    Monday - Rest
    Tuesday - 3 miles at 7:21 pace
    Wednesday- 6 miles at 7:55 pace under 70% heart rate (
    (max-resting)*.70 + resting) for me 176)
    Thursday - 3 miles at 6:58 pace (nice weather that day 🙂)
    Friday - Rest
    Saturday - 12 miles at 7:59 pace under 70% (8:03 first half - 7:55
    2nd half first negative long run)
    Sunday - Will run 6 miles under 70% expect around 7:50 or so

    Any recent racing history? Based on the various tables you would need to
    be able to run these race times in order to be "in shape" for a 3:15
    marathon (assuming you've trained for the distance with appropriate
    mileage, long runs, etc.)

    10K - 41:33
    10 Mile - 1:09:37
    1/2 Marathon - 1:32:28

    Phil M.

    --
    If you can empty your own boat
    Crossing the river of the world,
    No one will oppose you,
    No one will seek to harm you. -Chuang Tzu

  7. Quoted message said:

    I ran my first marathon in SF this week. My time was slow . The course was
    tough! I want very badly to qualify for Boston. I ra SF in 4:21:06, I
    need 3:55 for Boston. Can anyone advise.

    Take a cab, it worked for me for years and years.
    The Bill Rodgers

  8. This is a very weak schedule for marathoning. You should be doing
    at least 40 miles per week, perferrably 60. This inlcude long runs
    of every other week, in the 15-20 mile range.

  9. This is just where I am now.....

    I intend to ramp up to:
    M -rest
    T - 5 miles
    W - 10 miles
    R - 5 miles
    F - rest
    S - 20 miles
    U - 10 miles

    "rick++" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    This is a very weak schedule for marathoning. You should be doing
    at least 40 miles per week, perferrably 60. This inlcude long runs
    of every other week, in the 15-20 mile range.

  10. "KYRunner" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<OPYKc.122927$IQ4.21980@attbi_s02>...

    Quoted message said:

    This is just where I am now.....

    I intend to ramp up to:
    M -rest
    T - 5 miles
    W - 10 miles
    R - 5 miles
    F - rest
    S - 20 miles
    U - 10 miles

    Here's where you should be now....

    G -rest
    O -3 miles
    F -7 miles
    U -5 miles
    C -9 miles
    K -3 miles
    U -5 miles
    R -3 miles
    S -6 miles
    E -6 miles
    L -9 miles
    F - Rest

  11. X-No-Archive: yes
    [email hidden] (Dan Glyn) wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    "KYRunner" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<OPYKc.122927$IQ4.21980@attbi_s02>...

    Quoted message said:

    This is just where I am now.....

    I intend to ramp up to:
    M -rest
    T - 5 miles
    W - 10 miles
    R - 5 miles
    F - rest
    S - 20 miles
    U - 10 miles

    Here's where you should be now....

    G -rest
    O -3 miles
    F -7 miles
    U -5 miles
    C -9 miles
    K -3 miles
    U -5 miles
    R -3 miles
    S -6 miles
    E -6 miles
    L -9 miles
    F - Rest

    Dude, you are in trouble. You are using the patented words of the
    honorable VicePresident (who promised to bring back honor to the
    office) without his permission. This is not fair and balanced. You are
    in trouble.

    MWL
    -------

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.