Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Can I safely drill through Chromoplastic?

Started by Yonatan Mazuz · · Last activity · 10 posts · 681 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
21 December 2005
Last activity
9 January 2006
Original author
Yonatan Mazuz
Posts
10
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
681
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–10 of 10
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I got some lovely SKS fenders for my tour/commute rig recently and
    discovered a compatibility problem with my frame. Since it's set up for
    cantilever brakes, the seatstay bridge is not an actual brake bridge:
    its hole, instead of being roughly horizontally oriented, faces the
    dropouts and is threaded for a 5mm bolt, to allow fenders to attach
    directly to it.

    Problem is, the fenders don't have a hole in this region, instead
    coming with an angled bracket that's supposed to attach to the brake
    hole. For right now, I have this bracket bent around the bridge, but
    since the bracket's not very long, it sometimes pops off, giving the
    fender room to wiggle and occasionally lean on the tire.

    Hence, the question in the subject line. I believe the "Chromoplastic
    is simply metal with a plastic laminate on each side. So is the
    laminate prone to some sort of horrible cracking/shattering requiring
    some ultra-specific drilling technique, or can I just have a go at it?

    -------
    Yoni Mazuz
    (there isn't actually [censored] in my e-mail address)

  2. It's just a metal/plastic sandwich.

    It's similar, but a bit stronger, than the zefal's I've got on my road
    bike.

    The Zefal's are very brittle, and mine are held together by a couple
    mending plates and screws. Drilling is not a problem.

    http://static.flickr.com/39/76033586_dd0763ba92_o.jpg

    A regular wood bit works fine.

  3. plastic can be penetrated with a hot nail held with vice grips-heated
    on stove or torch

  4. Yonatan Mazuz said:

    Hence, the question in the subject line. I believe the "Chromoplastic is
    simply metal with a plastic laminate on each side. So is the laminate
    prone to some sort of horrible cracking/shattering requiring some
    ultra-specific drilling technique, or can I just have a go at it?

    The technique is to start with a very small bit, i.e. 1/16", and work
    your way up, 3/32", 1/8", 5/32", 3/16", etc. until you get to the hole
    size you want. If you start with the bit for the hole size you want, it
    can be dangerous, as it can snag the plastic and crack it. Use a high
    speed drill, and don't put a lot of pressure on the bit.

  5. SMS said:
    Yonatan Mazuz said:

    Hence, the question in the subject line. I believe the "Chromoplastic is
    simply metal with a plastic laminate on each side. So is the laminate
    prone to some sort of horrible cracking/shattering requiring some
    ultra-specific drilling technique, or can I just have a go at it?

    The technique is to start with a very small bit, i.e. 1/16", and work
    your way up, 3/32", 1/8", 5/32", 3/16", etc. until you get to the hole
    size you want. If you start with the bit for the hole size you want, it
    can be dangerous, as it can snag the plastic and crack it. Use a high
    speed drill, and don't put a lot of pressure on the bit.

    Don't bother. Just drill through it. I just drill through mine to
    atttach them and as I sit here I'm looking at 4 pairs mounted without a
    problem.
    Phil Brown

  6. "Yonatan Mazuz" wrote

    Quoted message said:

    Hence, the question in the subject line. I believe the "Chromoplastic is
    simply metal with a plastic laminate on each side. So is the laminate
    prone to some sort of horrible cracking/shattering requiring some
    ultra-specific drilling technique, or can I just have a go at it?


    I drilled holes in mine to install mudflaps, no problem.
    --
    mark

  7. Yonatan Mazuz said:

    I got some lovely SKS fenders for my tour/commute rig recently and
    discovered a compatibility problem with my frame. Since it's set up for
    cantilever brakes, the seatstay bridge is not an actual brake bridge:
    its hole, instead of being roughly horizontally oriented, faces the
    dropouts and is threaded for a 5mm bolt, to allow fenders to attach
    directly to it.

    Problem is, the fenders don't have a hole in this region, instead coming
    with an angled bracket that's supposed to attach to the brake hole. For
    right now, I have this bracket bent around the bridge, but since the
    bracket's not very long, it sometimes pops off, giving the fender room
    to wiggle and occasionally lean on the tire.

    Hence, the question in the subject line. I believe the "Chromoplastic is
    simply metal with a plastic laminate on each side. So is the laminate
    prone to some sort of horrible cracking/shattering requiring some
    ultra-specific drilling technique, or can I just have a go at it?

    As someone else noted, just be careful. If you start with a big drill
    bit at low speeds, the bit can dig in deep very quickly and rip rather
    than cut - or tear the piece out of your hands, or cause other problems
    - the result can be a nasty crack. Keep the drill RPMs high and use low
    pressure and all will be well.

    BTW, I've drilled many a chromoplast fender, to install mud flaps. I
    think I only had a problem once when I foolishly rushed things.

    Mark

  8. Yonatan Mazuz said:

    Hence, the question in the subject line. I believe the "Chromoplastic
    is simply metal with a plastic laminate on each side. So is the
    laminate prone to some sort of horrible cracking/shattering requiring
    some ultra-specific drilling technique, or can I just have a go at it?

    I drilled mine to rivet on a mudflap:
    http://delap.org/images/mudflap2.gif

    I used a regular drill bit hand held and drilled the guards in situ.
    It didn't take very long

    bestw ishes
    james

  9. Drill all you want, but know that any large hole may become a crack
    propagation point. I drilled my SKS in a couple places to put in a
    metal span across the brake bridge. A pop-rivet seems to be the best
    solution I've found since it's doesn't un-thread with vibration like
    even self-locking nuts can.

  10. Yonatan Mazuz said:

    I got some lovely SKS fenders for my tour/commute rig recently and
    discovered a compatibility problem with my frame. Since it's set up
    for cantilever brakes, the seatstay bridge is not an actual brake
    bridge: its hole, instead of being roughly horizontally oriented,
    faces the dropouts and is threaded for a 5mm bolt, to allow fenders
    to attach directly to it.

    Problem is, the fenders don't have a hole in this region, instead
    coming with an angled bracket that's supposed to attach to the brake
    hole. For right now, I have this bracket bent around the bridge, but
    since the bracket's not very long, it sometimes pops off, giving the
    fender room to wiggle and occasionally lean on the tire.

    Hence, the question in the subject line. I believe the "Chromoplastic
    is simply metal with a plastic laminate on each side. So is the
    laminate prone to some sort of horrible cracking/shattering requiring
    some ultra-specific drilling technique, or can I just have a go at it?

    -------
    Yoni Mazuz
    (there isn't actually [censored] in my e-mail address)

    I just shoved a screwdriver thru and waggled it about untill the hole was
    roundish.

    Hasn't messed up yet after a couple of winters.

    --
    Andy Morris

    AndyAtJinkasDotFreeserve.Co.UK

    Love this:
    Put an end to Outlook Express's messy quotes
    http://home.in.tum.de/~jain/software/oe-quotefix/

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.