Road Cycling · Public discussion

Can I sue the city?

Started by L H · · Last activity · 46 posts · 2,436 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Road Cycling
Published
18 June 2003
Last activity
23 June 2003
Original author
L H
Posts
46
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
2,436
Views / 30 days
0
Topics

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 46
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I drove over a flat grill with openings for draining water. This one was not along a street but at
    the end of a alley leading to a busy street. My tire got caught in the slot and I ended up doing a
    "end over" and landed in the middle of a the street. I didnt , as far as I can tell , do any serious
    injury. I feel like I have been in a car wreck. shook up and achy. I went to the ER and I have a
    witness who saw the accident. Anyhow is it something worth pursuing or not?

  2. [email hidden] (L H) wrote in news:28121-3EEFA2E6-702@storefull- 2377.public.lawson.webtv.net:

    Quoted message said:

    I drove over a flat grill with openings for draining water. This one was not along a street but at
    the end of a alley leading to a busy street. My tire got caught in the slot and I ended up doing a
    "end over" and landed in the middle of a the street. I didnt , as far as I can tell , do any
    serious injury. I feel like I have been in a car wreck. shook up and achy. I went to the ER and I
    have a witness who saw the accident. Anyhow is it something worth pursuing or not?

    You should definately report a road hazard. Regarding damages, you can file a claim for the cost of
    your hospital visit and any damage to your bicycle. See if that gets you anywhere.

  3. L H <[email hidden]> wrote:

    : I drove over a flat grill with openings for draining water. This one was not along a street but at
    : the end of a alley leading to a busy street. My tire got caught in the slot and I ended up doing a
    : "end over" and landed in the middle of a the street. I didnt , as far as I can tell , do any
    : serious injury. I feel like I have been in a car wreck. shook up and achy. I went to the ER and I
    : have a witness who saw the accident. Anyhow is it something worth pursuing or not?

    If you broke a bone it would be worth it. I am suing a city for road conditions myself, but I broke
    my arm in the process.

    At least get the city to replace the hazard with re-designed sewer grate.

    --------------------------------
    Bob Masse' [email hidden]
    --------------------------------

  4. Quoted message said:

    [email hidden]

    Quoted message said:

    I drove over a flat grill with openings for draining water. This one was not along a street but at
    the end of a alley leading to a busy street. My tire got caught in the slot and I ended up doing a
    "end over" and landed in the middle of a the street. I didnt , as far as I can tell , do any
    serious injury. I feel like I have been in a car wreck. shook up and achy. I went to the ER and I
    have a witness who saw the accident. Anyhow is it something worth pursuing or not?

    It sounds as if your question is, "Can I make a few bucks?". If that's not what you're asking then
    ask yourself-

    1- Was my crash forseeable by a reasonably prudent traffic engineer? 2- What steps should the city
    reasonably have taken to prevent it? 3- What damage has been done to you?

  5. [email hidden] (L H) wrote in message
    news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    I drove over a flat grill with openings for draining water. This one was not along a street but at
    the end of a alley leading to a busy street. My tire got caught in the slot and I ended up doing a
    "end over" and landed in the middle of a the street. I didnt , as far as I can tell , do any
    serious injury. I feel like I have been in a car wreck. shook up and achy. I went to the ER and I
    have a witness who saw the accident. Anyhow is it something worth pursuing or not?

    Sorry to hear that, glad you were not injured too badly. That said, Yes you probably could sue. Sad
    to say this sounds old school, but what ever happened to taking responsibility for our own actions?
    Maybe watching where you were going is your responsibility and not the city's. Why should the
    taxpayers make you rich? Your not even injured! Geez.

  6. (B.G.) from url='http://groups.google.com/'http://groups.google.com//url said:

    [email hidden] (L H) wrote in message
    news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    I drove over a flat grill with openings for draining water. This one was not along a street but
    at the end of a alley leading to a busy street. My tire got caught in the slot and I ended up
    doing a "end over" and landed in the middle of a the street. I didnt , as far as I can tell , do
    any serious injury. I feel like I have been in a car wreck. shook up and achy. I went to the ER
    and I have a witness who saw the accident. Anyhow is it something worth pursuing or not?

    Sorry to hear that, glad you were not injured too badly. That said, Yes you probably could sue. Sad
    to say this sounds old school, but what ever happened to taking responsibility for our own actions?
    Maybe watching where you were going is your responsibility and not the city's. Why should the
    taxpayers make you rich? Your not even injured! Geez.

    You're assuming she'd win her suit. She might not. And, if she feels she was wronged, she has every
    right to seek a remedy.

    --
    home.sport.rr.comcuthulu human rights = peace I'm having a BIG BANG THEORY!!
    2:55:42 AM 18 June 2003

  7. (L H) said:

    I drove over a flat grill with openings for draining water. This one was not along a street but at
    the end of a alley leading to a busy street. My tire got caught in the slot and I ended up doing a
    "end over" and landed in the middle of a the street. I didnt , as far as I can tell , do any
    serious injury. I feel like I have been in a car wreck. shook up and achy. I went to the ER and I
    have a witness who saw the accident. Anyhow is it something worth pursuing or not?

    They've done nothing wrong.

    --
    ¤bicker¤ 263/158 [email hidden] BP: 130/80 -> 100/60 See web site for Total Cholesterol:
    256->200 before and after photos. Waist: 46 -> 34 brianandrobbie.combrianandrobbie.com BF%: 39% -> 13%

  8. Quoted message said:

    I drove over a flat grill with openings for draining water. This one was not along a street but at
    the end of a alley leading to a busy street. My tire got caught in the slot and I ended up doing a
    "end over" and landed in the middle of a the street. I didnt , as far as I can tell , do any
    serious injury. I feel like I have been in a car wreck. shook up and achy. I went to the ER and I
    have a witness who saw the accident. Anyhow is it something worth pursuing or not?


    I don't know if you can sure for something like that or not. I suppose anyone can sue anyone else at
    any time for any amount for any reason. So I suppose you could. Would you prevail? I dunno?

    I have heard that any law suit costs about $50,000. So if you have any kind of case at all, it makes
    sense for the city to settle with you if your demands are reasonable. Reasonable demands would be
    cost of ER visit, lost time and having them modify the sewer grates so this would not reoccur
    (sheesh if they slots just ran horizontally rather then along the road, that would be good enough).

  9. (Hunrobe) said:

    It sounds as if your question is, "Can I make a few bucks?". If that's not what you're asking then
    ask yourself- 1- Was my crash forseeable by a reasonably prudent traffic engineer? 2- What steps
    should the city reasonably have taken to prevent it? 3- What damage has been done to you?

    In the end, there is no indication that this is anything other than the cyclist's fault for not
    mitigating the issue by avoiding the grate. The grate is not made for bicycles to go over. If the
    grate occupied the entirety of the width of a designated bike lane, then maybe there'd be something
    to wonder about. Otherwise, the cyclist is responsible for recognizing the grate and how his/her
    vehicle is unable to traverse over it safely, and avoiding it, either by stopping in time, or going
    around it.

    --
    ¤bicker¤ 263/158 [email hidden] BP: 130/80 -> 100/60 See web site for Total Cholesterol:
    256->200 before and after photos. Waist: 46 -> 34 brianandrobbie.combrianandrobbie.com BF%: 39% -> 13%

  10. "L H" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    I drove over a flat grill with openings for draining water. This one was not along a street but at
    the end of a alley leading to a busy street. My tire got caught in the slot and I ended up doing a
    "end over" and landed in the middle of a the street. I didnt , as far as I can tell , do any
    serious injury. I feel like I have been in a car wreck. shook up and achy. I went to the ER and I
    have a witness who saw the accident. Anyhow is it something worth pursuing or not?

    Rotsa Ruck!

    Of course the question is best answered by a lawyer. If you choose to proceed I would recommend
    finding a lawyer who will do it on contingency,
    i.e. you don't pay but he takes a big piece of any proceeds. Personally, I wouldn't even consider
    sueing over something like that.

  11. bicker <[email hidden]> wrote:

    : They've done nothing wrong.

    While I don't normally go for this sort of thing, in this case the city has done something wrong.
    Water drains should be laid with the bars running perpendicual to the flow of traffic for this
    very reason.

    All drain covers are laid like this in the UK now.

    Arthur

    --
    Arthur Clune clune.orgclune.org Power is delightful. Absolute power is absolutely delightful -
    Lord Lester

  12. "Arthur Clune" <[email hidden]> wrote in message "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    bicker <[email hidden]> wrote:

    : They've done nothing wrong.

    While I don't normally go for this sort of thing, in this case the city has done something wrong.
    Water drains should be laid with the bars running perpendicual to the flow of traffic for this
    very reason.

    This is still not necessarily 'wrong'. The grate in question was possibly on the main street. Slots
    facing L/R as relates to the direction of travel on the main street. The poster was coming from an
    alley (perpendicular?). The grate slots would have been in line with his direction of travel.

    "I drove over a flat grill with openings for draining water. This one was not along a street but at
    the end of a alley leading to a busy street."

    Which 'street' was the grate on? The main street or the alley? "...at the end of an alley leading
    to..." still leaves it somewhat unclear.

    If it was recognizably within the construct of the alley, then yes, it should probably face the
    other way. If it was within the construct of the main street, then it was probably facing the
    right way.

    A picture is worth a thousand words.

    Pete

  13. Dunno where you live or what the laws are like there.

    But in general its good to ride far enough out from the curb (about
    1m) to avoid things like grills. It doesn't sound like this particular grill was in bad repair or
    anything like that which would make the city negligent, it sounds like something you should not
    be riding over given the size of the openings and the size of your tires 🙂

    If you are ambitious you could try to start up a campaign to get your city to replace all its grills
    with more bicycle-friendly ones (smaller openings) - they do exist.

    [email hidden] (L H) wrote in message
    news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    I drove over a flat grill with openings for draining water. This one was not along a street but at
    the end of a alley leading to a busy street. My tire got caught in the slot and I ended up doing a
    "end over" and landed in the middle of a the street. I didnt , as far as I can tell , do any
    serious injury. I feel like I have been in a car wreck. shook up and achy. I went to the ER and I
    have a witness who saw the accident. Anyhow is it something worth pursuing or not?

  14. In article said:

    If you are ambitious you could try to start up a campaign to get your city to replace all its
    grills with more bicycle-friendly ones (smaller openings) - they do exist.

    Sort of like these ones they've been installing all over Cincinnati?
    rcc.orgbikes.html

  15. Wed said:

    "Arthur Clune" <[email hidden]> wrote in message "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    bicker <[email hidden]> wrote:

    : They've done nothing wrong.

    While I don't normally go for this sort of thing, in this case the city has done something wrong.
    Water drains should be laid with the bars running perpendicual to the flow of traffic for this
    very reason.

    This is still not necessarily 'wrong'. The grate in question was possibly on the main street. Slots
    facing L/R as relates to the direction of travel on the main street. The poster was coming from an
    alley (perpendicular?). The grate slots would have been in line with his direction of travel.

    There's one of those grates where my driveway apron meets the lane. It's oriented properly for the
    majority of traffic. I know it's there so never have any problems.
    --
    zk

  16. (L H) said:


    I drove over a flat grill with openings for draining water. This one was not along a street but at
    the end of a alley leading to a busy street. My tire got caught in the slot and I ended up doing a
    "end over" and landed in the middle of a the street. I didnt , as far as I can tell , do any
    serious injury. I feel like I have been in a car wreck. shook up and achy. I went to the ER and I
    have a witness who saw the accident. Anyhow is it something worth pursuing or not?

    If you live in Illinois you haven't a chance in hell. See:

    bikelib.orgboubmenu.html

    No matter where you live (in the US) if you sue, the Boub case would likely be cited as a precedent.

    jeverett3<AT>earthlink<DOT>net home.earthlink.net~jeverett3

  17. [email hidden] (L H) wrote in message
    news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    I drove over a flat grill with openings for draining water. This one was not along a street but at
    the end of a alley leading to a busy street. My tire got caught in the slot and I ended up doing a
    "end over" and landed in the middle of a the street. I didnt , as far as I can tell , do any
    serious injury. I feel like I have been in a car wreck. shook up and achy. I went to the ER and I
    have a witness who saw the accident. Anyhow is it something worth pursuing or not?

    Probably not. Sometimes stuff happens, that's life. You have a witness that saw you do an endo, so
    what? Besides, from what you're describing, if the grill was in the alley, the alley may not belong
    to the city, which will make finding the guilty party difficult, time consuming and expensive. Hope
    you get better soon. Ride carefully.

    Art

  18. "Pbwalther" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:20030618092305.04151.00000926@mb-

    Quoted message said:

    Reasonable demands would be cost of ER visit, lost time and having them modify the sewer grates so
    this would not reoccur (sheesh if they


    slots

    Quoted message said:

    just ran horizontally rather then along the road, that would be good


    enough).

    If they just used grates with smaller square holes instead of slots, this would be a non-issue.

    -Buck

  19. "bicker" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    (Hunrobe) said:

    It sounds as if your question is, "Can I make a few bucks?". If that's


    not what

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    you're asking then ask yourself- 1- Was my crash forseeable by a reasonably prudent traffic
    engineer? 2- What steps should the city reasonably have taken to prevent it? 3- What damage has
    been done to you?

    In the end, there is no indication that this is anything other than the cyclist's fault for not
    mitigating the issue by avoiding the grate. The grate is not made for bicycles to go over. If the
    grate occupied the entirety of the width of a designated bike lane, then maybe there'd be
    something to wonder about. Otherwise, the cyclist is responsible for recognizing the grate and how
    his/her vehicle is unable to traverse over it safely, and avoiding it, either by stopping in time,
    or going around it.

    The city has some obligation to make sure the grate is oriented properly so it does not catch
    bicycle tires. If it is a square grate, the last person doing maintenance may have accidentally
    rotated it 90° before replacing it. I've seen this happen before. If it is rectangular, then the
    city should be responsible for using a grate with the proper slot orientation and/or with a design
    that does not catch bicycle wheels.

    -Buck

  20. "James Messick" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "L H" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    I drove over a flat grill with openings for draining water. This one was not along a street but
    at the end of a alley leading to a busy street. My tire got caught in the slot and I ended up
    doing a "end over" and landed in the middle of a the street. I didnt , as far as I can tell , do
    any serious injury. I feel like I have been in a car wreck. shook up and achy. I went to the ER
    and I have a witness who saw the accident. Anyhow is it something worth pursuing or not?

    Rotsa Ruck!

    Of course the question is best answered by a lawyer. If you choose to proceed I would recommend
    finding a lawyer who will do it on contingency,
    i.e. you don't pay but he takes a big piece of any proceeds. Personally, I wouldn't even consider
    sueing over something like that.

    Wasn't there a precedent established in Illinois a couple of years ago regarding this very issue, in
    which the Illinois court found that, while bicycles are permitted to use the roads, that they are
    not the "primary intended users" (or something like that, and that the state was not obligated to
    maintain roads specifically to be safe for cyclists?

    I have no idea whether one state's precedents can be used in another state's legal proceedings, but
    I rather suspect that no court would want to be the one to find that governments do have to
    eliminate road hazards that threaten bikes but not motor vehicles.

    In Pennsylvania where I live, people can and do sue government agencies for personal injuries
    inflicted in accidents caused by "defective roads," and occasionally they win. But these are cases
    where people are killed or seriously injured. If the Illinois precedent applied, however, the state
    could counter that the road was not defective for cars, and that's the only standard they're
    required to meet.

    My non-expert civilian opinion is that in the absence of any real injury, loss of income, loss of a
    limb, or anything like that, you have litrtle chance interesting a lawyer in your case, and less of
    actually settling for an amount of any significance.

    RichC

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.