Power meters · Public discussion

Can Position affect FTP (TT question)

Started by wilmar13 · · Last activity · 25 posts · 4,472 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Power meters
Published
29 April 2007
Last activity
7 May 2007
Original author
wilmar13
Posts
25
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
4,472
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 21–25 of 25
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. whoawhoa said:

    That's a difficult question. How is your bike set up now, relative to your road bike? Personally, my power in TT position is basically the same as my power on my road bike-the wattage the only time I raced with my ptap was within 5 watts of my (at the time) pb for wattage @ that time duration. And, I have a pretty damn fast position, I would guestimate my Cda ~.21-.22.


    I started the season with my TT bike power being close to my road bike power, using a standard stem, and it was only when I got a frontal area analysis done, and some re-positioning, using adjustable stem(lowering the bars), and arm-rest adjustment(in 1" both sides), that I sacrificed power, but gained speed.
    I have found that training TT bike specific is helping to gradually move back towards my road-bike power, but I'm quite sure that this has also now improved.

    I'm now left to consider what to say when asked, is my FTP; my faster, although lower TT-bike power, or my slower but higher road-bike power😕

  2. In my blog I write-up of my TT experience on a standard road bike with clip ons. I have theorized now that due to my interum situation of being on a road bike that my power is extremely similar to what I can do in my, let me make that MY TT position as on the hoods.

    So maybe for some its good to make a compromise if time to test or opportunities to test are limited to you. That was the case for me. I cannot find a non-stop or circuitous route thats flat enough or long enough to do much testing without driving to who knows where. So my fit guru put me in a position on my road bike that he thought I could put out power in and be somewhat aero with as few compromises as possible. Other particular things had to be met like that I didnt have to take my bike apart to do TT test rides and races.

    For sure though when you go for the full out aero position with steep seat angle and death drop to the bars, there IS a point when youve gone too far and youd be better off LESS aero. The hard part is testing it.

    In only 6 weeks our State Time Trial is coming up and I want to be on a TT rig, not my road bike. I feel I am at a disadvanatge into the wind for sure and I currently have to shift on my brifters! Not good on a hilly course.

  3. ZimboNC said:


    My question is... My time was 21:50 at 285 watts. Assuming aerodynamics stay the same, what would it take to get under 21:00?

    --Steve

    Assuming a Crr of .004 you have a CdA of roughly .22 (they just published atmospheric track conditions). With same conditions, to go 21:00 you would need to average 315 watts. Just try not to go faster than 20:46 before you upgrade OK? 😉 Nigel is already 5 seconds away from bumping my name :eek:

    We are in the same boat... if we can get our power up to 90-95% of what it is on the road bike we will meet our goals. I plan to ride my TT bike at least once per week now and see if next time I can do better... I also moved my seat back as far as I could to get setback closer to road bike position so that may help too. I rode it last night like that and it felt OK... except with 180mm cranks I can't "belly breath" without hitting my thighs against my stomach...

  4. whoawhoa said:

    That's a difficult question. How is your bike set up now, relative to your road bike? Personally, my power in TT position is basically the same as my power on my road bike-the wattage the only time I raced with my ptap was within 5 watts of my (at the time) pb for wattage @ that time duration. And, I have a pretty damn fast position, I would guestimate my Cda ~.21-.22.

    My saddle tip was about dead center over BB on TT bike but is 13 cm behind on Road bike... I flipped the post and moved the saddle back on TT bike so it is now 5cm behind BB... I am near the end of travel and don't think I can go any further back... but just moving it 5 cm rearward seemed make me feel more powerful... duh now it is closer to my normal position. :o . Sometimes the most obvious and simplest answer is the correct one. We will see if I can keep my CdA the same and still improve power with this position.

  5. wilmar13 said:

    Just try not to go faster than 20:46 before you upgrade OK?


    I'll admit it's a goal of mine but I'm pretty sure some other Cat4 will beat that time before I do. I'm unlikely to make it back out to the Speedway TT until September or October.

    Congrats on your recent race results BTW. Aren't you pretty close to upgrading to a Cat2 by now?

    --Steve

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.