General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Can stupid training lower your max HR?

Started by Peter Guidry · · Last activity · 19 posts · 1,064 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
17 May 2004
Last activity
23 May 2004
Original author
Peter Guidry
Posts
19
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,064
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–19 of 19
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. When it comes to fitness I have a type A mentality. No pain,
    no gain. I am not a racer. I simply want to get fit. But I
    am thinking my personality has me doing really stupid things
    that really prevent sensible fitness gains.

    Background: I don't do a lot during the winter. I am 38 YO.
    On a full out effort in the spring my max HR will be around
    180. Unfortunately I usually start running by doing 7kms my
    first day flat out (which is around 5min/km for me). I cycle
    and go hiking with my friends and we tend to do everything
    flat out. Hiking (ahem racing) uphill with extra weight in
    packs for added challenge. Gasping all the way.

    Now after weeks of these antics. If I try a flat out effort
    my max HR peaks at just over 160. So this is my number one
    question. What is happening here? I haven't really read any
    effect of training on max HR. (resting is ~48 ).

    Writing this down, it is obvious that I have been exercising
    like a moron, I could get away with this when younger, but
    now I think it is time to get more sensible.

    The question is what to do now. If I go to 70% max HR
    guidelines for building an aerobic base, What HR do I use as
    my max in that formula. I mean 70% of 160 is 112. I don't
    think I can walk up a gentle hill on a hike without hitting
    130. I also don't think I can jog at any pace with a HR
    under 130.

    Thoughts.

  2. Peter Guidry said:

    Now after weeks of these antics. If I try a flat out
    effort my max HR peaks at just over 160. So this is my
    number one question. What is happening here? I haven't
    really read any effect of training on max HR. (resting
    is ~48 ).

    It has been posted a few times. MHR often does drop with
    training, especially heavy training. I've ovsered drops of
    at least 10bpm.

    Quoted message said:

    The question is what to do now. If I go to 70% max HR
    guidelines for building an aerobic base, What HR do I use
    as my max in that formula.

    Given that you've probably got some all-out efforts to base
    your training on, you could use a "race" performance
    instead. This online calc computes training paces as well as
    recommended paces for intervals:

    panix.comvdot.html

    You may not know the exact distance for the course, but
    that's OK -- just use a rough estimate of the distance (say
    the course is 5 miles) and punch in your course PR. Then you
    can pace yourself again (for that course) based on the same
    estimate of the distance (the formulas are ultimately time-
    based, so if you botch the distance estimate by a small
    margin it doen't change any thing)

    Quoted message said:

    I mean 70% of 160 is 112. I don't think I can walk up a
    gentle hill on a hike without hitting 130. I also don't
    think I can jog at any pace with a HR under 130.

    Wouldn't worry too much about this too much for now. Should
    get better with training.

    Cheers,
    --
    Donovan Rebbechi pegasus.rutgers.edu~elflord

  3. Peter Guidry said:

    When it comes to fitness I have a type A mentality. No
    pain, no gain. I am not a racer. I simply want to get fit.
    But I am thinking my personality has me doing really
    stupid things that really prevent sensible fitness gains.

    Background: I don't do a lot during the winter.

    Your actions don't match your words. If you want to get/stay
    fit, you exercise year round. No excuses 😉

    I am 38 YO. On a full

    Quoted message said:

    out effort in the spring my max HR will be around 180.
    Unfortunately I usually start running by doing 7kms my
    first day flat out (which is around 5min/km for me). I
    cycle and go hiking with my friends and we tend to do
    everything flat out. Hiking (ahem racing) uphill with
    extra weight in packs for added challenge. Gasping all
    the way.

    Now after weeks of these antics. If I try a flat out
    effort my max HR peaks at just over 160. So this is my
    number one question. What is happening here?

    possibly increased fitness or possibly too tired to get the
    effort up? or at the least, doing too much too soon after
    winter and your body's complaining. Not sure how long
    "spring" is for you - whether this is a several month
    effort or 2 wks.

    I haven't really read any effect of training on max

    Quoted message said:

    HR. (resting is ~48 ).

    google the group and you'll find some previous threads and I
    think references to literature, iirc.

    Quoted message said:


    Writing this down, it is obvious that I have been
    exercising like a moron, I could get away with this when
    younger, but now I think it is time to get more sensible.

    The question is what to do now. If I go to 70% max HR
    guidelines for building an aerobic base, What HR do I use
    as my max in that formula. I mean 70% of 160 is 112. I
    don't think I can walk up a gentle hill on a hike without
    hitting 130. I also don't think I can jog at any pace with
    a HR under 130.

    and 70% of 180 = 126, where you'd likely have the same
    issues. You might want to look at protocols for testing max
    hr. What you are achieving may be something lower.

    If you don't know your true max hr, I've found a good
    approximation is to find VT/LT (where you start gasping on a
    hard effort = on your hikes where you're gasping, use the hr
    where your conversations with your buddies start breaking up
    - no longer at conversational pace), then divide by 0.9.
    VT/LT is frequently around 90% max hr, although it can be
    trained to a higher pct. This is just a first approximation,
    but it works better than most formulas unless you use a
    fairly complex one (it takes a couple lines, I've posted it
    in the past and don't have time to look at the moment). The
    complex one still has the limitations of the short ones but
    it does seem to work across a larger population of people
    since it takes fitness and training into account - but it
    still doesn't work for some (looks very close for me). You
    might want to base estimates on your perceived current
    effort at the present, then retest again if you've backed
    off and recovered a bit and see if your hr returns to where
    it was. It could be a positive training effect but it could
    also be an indication of being tired, at least that's my
    experience. OTOH, I'm perceiving "spring" workouts of only
    being at most a month (Alaska) so far this year - probably
    not enough time for a positive training effect. You might be
    somewhere where you've had 4 months of spring so far.

    Just my $.02, worth exactly what you paid for it 😉

    Dot

    --
    "Success is different things to different people" -Bernd
    Heinrich in Racing the Antelope

  4. At least you push yourself which is more than I can say for
    a lot of these bozos on this board who are afraid to do so.
    On top of that you have gone to another stage than most of
    the people on this board as you have surely become addicted
    to the adrenaline rush that hard training can give and so
    you push yourself like that all the time.

    But for racing, it is the wrong attitude. You are not
    training right to race. What you are doing is training to
    train. That is a big mistake and can result in injury. The
    object is to run faster in a race not to run faster on a
    daily basis. The way you are training is going to limit
    the times you can run in a race in a big way. It's the
    same mistake I have seen made by a lot of potentially
    great high school and college runners.

    Now that said, even by doing what you have done, because
    you are in shape and can tolerate a lot of physical
    stress, it is very possible to quickly turn things
    around in just a few weeks by switching over to proper
    training and then watch your racing times skyrocket.

    I did that to a runner once who had serious flaws in
    his training only running a 4:36 mile each week. I
    constantly proded him to change and he wouldn't until
    he got so frustrated that he decided to give my
    system a try. The very next week, one week into my
    system and his last race of the college season, he
    ran 4:13 which totally shocked him but which I still
    found slow to his capabilities as he should have been
    running under a 4 minute mile and would have surely
    done so had he continued to run but he didn't.
    Another great talent wasted by years of horrible
    training and ignorant coaching.

    [email hidden] (Peter Guidry) wrote in message
    news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    When it comes to fitness I have a type A mentality. No
    pain, no gain. I am not a racer. I simply want to get fit.
    But I am thinking my personality has me doing really
    stupid things that really prevent sensible fitness gains.

    Background: I don't do a lot during the winter. I am 38
    YO. On a full out effort in the spring my max HR will be
    around 180. Unfortunately I usually start running by
    doing 7kms my first day flat out (which is around 5min/km
    for me). I cycle and go hiking with my friends and we
    tend to do everything flat out. Hiking (ahem racing)
    uphill with extra weight in packs for added challenge.
    Gasping all the way.

    Now after weeks of these antics. If I try a flat out
    effort my max HR peaks at just over 160. So this is my
    number one question. What is happening here? I haven't
    really read any effect of training on max HR. (resting
    is ~48 ).

    Writing this down, it is obvious that I have been
    exercising like a moron, I could get away with this when
    younger, but now I think it is time to get more sensible.

    The question is what to do now. If I go to 70% max HR
    guidelines for building an aerobic base, What HR do I use
    as my max in that formula. I mean 70% of 160 is 112. I
    don't think I can walk up a gentle hill on a hike without
    hitting 130. I also don't think I can jog at any pace with
    a HR under 130.

    Thoughts.

  5. Quoted message said:

    Just my $.02, worth exactly what you paid for it 😉

    Dot


    I recently cut back and diversified elliptical/running
    weights and I'm now achieving more. Hence I think of that as
    a better goal. Used to push 180 bpm at age 43 and
    overweight, not smart.

  6. Donovan Rebbechi <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:
    Peter Guidry said:

    Now after weeks of these antics. If I try a flat out
    effort my max HR peaks at just over 160. So this is my
    number one question. What is happening here? I haven't
    really read any effect of training on max HR. (resting
    is ~48 ).

    It has been posted a few times. MHR often does drop with
    training, especially heavy training. I've ovsered drops of
    at least 10bpm.

    Quoted message said:

    The question is what to do now. If I go to 70% max HR
    guidelines for building an aerobic base, What HR do I
    use as my max in that formula.

    Given that you've probably got some all-out efforts to
    base your training on, you could use a "race" performance
    instead. This online calc computes training paces as well
    as recommended paces for intervals:

    panix.comvdot.html

    I tried this. But since I just run where-ever it is a lot
    easier to go by HR. I might be able to say after I am done
    what my pase was, but I don't have mile markers on my trail.

    Quoted message said:

    You may not know the exact distance for the course, but
    that's OK -- just use a rough estimate of the distance
    (say the course is 5 miles) and punch in your course PR.
    Then you can pace yourself again (for that course) based
    on the same estimate of the distance (the formulas are
    ultimately time-based, so if you botch the distance
    estimate by a small margin it doen't change any thing)

    Quoted message said:

    I mean 70% of 160 is 112. I don't think I can walk up a
    gentle hill on a hike without hitting 130. I also don't
    think I can jog at any pace with a HR under 130.

    Wouldn't worry too much about this too much for now.
    Should get better with training.

    I guess I think my problem is I never build an aerobic base.
    I always do my thing at 85-90% of max HR. I now wonder what
    negative affects that might have.

    I guess I will limit myself to 130 for a while and see what
    happens. I'll walk if I have to.

  7. Donovan Rebbechi <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:
    Peter Guidry said:

    Now after weeks of these antics. If I try a flat out
    effort my max HR peaks at just over 160. So this is my
    number one question. What is happening here? I haven't
    really read any effect of training on max HR. (resting
    is ~48 ).

    It has been posted a few times. MHR often does drop with
    training, especially heavy training. I've ovsered drops of
    at least 10bpm.

    Quoted message said:

    The question is what to do now. If I go to 70% max HR
    guidelines for building an aerobic base, What HR do I
    use as my max in that formula.

    Given that you've probably got some all-out efforts to
    base your training on, you could use a "race" performance
    instead. This online calc computes training paces as well
    as recommended paces for intervals:

    panix.comvdot.html

    I tried this. But since I just run where-ever it is a lot
    easier to go by HR. I might be able to say after I am done
    what my pase was, but I don't have mile markers on my trail.

    Quoted message said:

    You may not know the exact distance for the course, but
    that's OK -- just use a rough estimate of the distance
    (say the course is 5 miles) and punch in your course PR.
    Then you can pace yourself again (for that course) based
    on the same estimate of the distance (the formulas are
    ultimately time-based, so if you botch the distance
    estimate by a small margin it doen't change any thing)

    Quoted message said:

    I mean 70% of 160 is 112. I don't think I can walk up a
    gentle hill on a hike without hitting 130. I also don't
    think I can jog at any pace with a HR under 130.

    Wouldn't worry too much about this too much for now.
    Should get better with training.

    I guess I think my problem is I never build an aerobic base.
    I always do my thing at 85-90% of max HR. I now wonder what
    negative affects that might have.

    I guess I will limit myself to 130 for a while and see what
    happens. I'll walk if I have to.

  8. Dot <dot.h@#att.net> wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:
    Peter Guidry said:

    When it comes to fitness I have a type A mentality. No
    pain, no gain. I am not a racer. I simply want to get
    fit. But I am thinking my personality has me doing
    really stupid things that really prevent sensible
    fitness gains.

    Background: I don't do a lot during the winter.

    Your actions don't match your words. If you want to
    get/stay fit, you exercise year round. No excuses 😉

    I do stuff year round, but it is pretty much weekend only in
    winter. I don't like the gym and getting out weekdays in
    winter is a drag. Since it is dark when I get home.

    Quoted message said:


    possibly increased fitness or possibly too tired to get
    the effort up? or at the least, doing too much too soon
    after winter and your body's complaining. Not sure how
    long "spring" is for you - whether this is a several month
    effort or 2 wks.

    Ottawa Canada 6 weeks maybe. I only have a small speed
    improvement. Just feels like I lost headroom. The last KM I
    run screaming all out gasping for breath and my max only
    hits 160. Then I feel like I am made of lead the rest of
    the day. Feels like something is wrong, not like I am
    making headway.

    Quoted message said:

    google the group and you'll find some previous threads and
    I think references to literature, iirc.

    I tried but when you try to google the topic you just get
    generic hits about HR and training. I didn't find hits on
    dropping max HR.

    30.

    Quoted message said:


    and 70% of 180 = 126, where you'd likely have the same
    issues. You might want to look at protocols for testing
    max hr. What you are achieving may be something lower.

    If you don't know your true max hr, I've found a good
    approximation is to find VT/LT (where you start gasping on
    a hard effort = on your hikes where you're gasping, use
    the hr where your conversations with your buddies start
    breaking up - no longer at conversational pace), then
    divide by 0.9. VT/LT is frequently around 90% max hr,
    although it can be

    Frankly this always seemed extremely subjective to me. Since
    breathing picks up in a continuim, and how much interuption
    it places on conversation is also subjective.

    Quoted message said:

    trained to a higher pct. This is just a first
    approximation, but it works better than most formulas
    unless you use a fairly complex one (it takes a couple
    lines, I've posted it in the past and don't have time
    to look at the moment). The complex one still has the
    limitations of the short ones but it does seem to work
    across a larger population of people since it takes
    fitness and training into account - but it still
    doesn't work for some (looks very close for me). You
    might want to base estimates on your perceived current
    effort at the present, then retest again if you've
    backed off and recovered a bit and see if your hr
    returns to where it was.

    My thoughts were this might be the effect of ZERO base
    traing. Every run, every hike, every bike is pretty much
    till I hit the wall, usually sort of racing with one of my
    competitive buddies. I think I must depleted something or
    strained something and it might be good to back off.

    Reading different training stuff recently, it made it sound
    like it should get easier to maintain a HR say 160 for
    longer periods as you got aerobically stronger. I am finding
    the opposite. I find it harder and harder to maintain that
    rate. Now it might look like a good training effect but my
    times are staying the same.

    Say for example (compressed in time)

    Week 1: 10K (50 minutes Avg HR 165) Week 3: 10K (50 minutes
    Avg HR 160) Week 4: 10K (50 minutes Avg HR 155) week 6: 10k
    (50 minutes Avg HR 150)

    Now the problem is percieved effort is the same-Maximal. I
    can't now run 160 HR at all and do a better pace. And even
    with a 150HR average I still feel wiped out afterwards. I
    only seem to be training(straining) my heart to beat slower
    without performance benefit.

    I think I will chuck all the complex stuff and just stick
    with a (220-age)x.70 for a while or ~130(if going that slow
    doesnt drive me nuts) and see what happens.

  9. In article said:
    Quoted message said:

    Given that you've probably got some all-out efforts to
    base your training on, you could use a "race" performance
    instead. This online calc computes training paces as well
    as recommended paces for intervals:

    panix.comvdot.html

    I tried this. But since I just run where-ever it is a lot
    easier to go by HR. I might be able to say after I am
    done what my pase was, but I don't have mile markers on
    my trail.

    Of course it's not practical to use this all the time
    because you may not always run on measured courses or
    courses for which you've performed an all-out run. It's more
    useful as a starting point than anything else. Eventually,
    you will simply develop good instincts for proper training
    pace and at that stage you will neither require heart rate
    monitors nor pace charts.

    If you do go with the heart rate monitor approach, I think
    it's unrealistic to insist on <70% until your fitness
    improves. Try to keep it at about 80% (136), and stay under
    85% (145) for now. What's may happen is that your heart rate
    will get to 85% or so very easily, and much less easily
    beyond that point (I've observed this when I was relatively
    inexperienced as have some others)

    During a long run, especially in the heat, your heart rate
    may climb, but as long as it stays at around 80% for the
    first two miles I wouldn't be too worried.

    Cheers,
    --
    Donovan Rebbechi pegasus.rutgers.edu~elflord

  10. You might not be hitting your real max because from day to
    day hard efforts, you aren't recovering. If you took a day
    or two off, then did an easy day, then went really hard the
    next day, I bet you could see higher numbers.

    But a high max heart rate, or low resting heart rate aren't
    going to make you faster or stronger, so who gives a fart
    about them. You are right, if you want to get better, stay
    fitter year round and incorporate a lot more easy stuff.

  11. Peter Guidry said:

    Dot <dot.h@#att.net> wrote in message news:<LNroc.84479$Xj6.1409152@bgtnsc04-
    news.ops.worldnet.att.net>...

    Quoted message said:
    Peter Guidry said:

    When it comes to fitness I have a type A mentality. No
    pain, no gain. I am not a racer. I simply want to get
    fit. But I am thinking my personality has me doing really
    stupid things that really prevent sensible fitness gains.

    Background: I don't do a lot during the winter.

    Your actions don't match your words. If you want to
    get/stay fit, you exercise year round. No excuses 😉

    I do stuff year round, but it is pretty much weekend only
    in winter. I don't like the gym and getting out weekdays
    in winter is a drag. Since it is dark when I get home.

    Just a thought. LED lights work wonders for running or
    snowshoeing in dark. Mt biking and xc skiing might require a
    brighter light or one of the heavy duty led's. Your
    background sounds a little like some of my earlier
    background - weekend warrior with an assortment of
    activities with some running mid-week for maintenance.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Not sure how long "spring" is for you - whether this is a
    several month effort or 2 wks.

    Ottawa Canada 6 weeks maybe. I only have a small speed
    improvement. Just feels like I lost headroom. The last KM
    I run screaming all out gasping for breath and my max only
    hits 160. Then I feel like I am made of lead the rest of
    the day. Feels like something is wrong, not like I am
    making headway.

    I'm not sure that's enough time to see a positive training
    benefit of reduced hr, probably not of the magnitude you're
    reporting. I'm still guessing you're tired.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    google the group and you'll find some previous threads and
    I think references to literature, iirc.

    I tried but when you try to google the topic you just get
    generic hits about HR and training. I didn't find hits on
    dropping max HR.

    Sorry, I was in a rush to leave for out-of-town meeting and
    no time to respond until now.

    "Heart Rate Monitor Strategies" from early Sep 2003. Look at
    Sam's comments I googled on "max hr decrease author:Sam" (of
    course, I knew approximately what key words to look for)
    There's several other threads, but that was the one with
    Sam's observations. You'll note that your decrease of about
    20 bpm or 11% is outside the range for trained athletes -
    based on the one reported research and Sam's observations
    with the athletes he works with. The relatively short time
    involved, the magnitude of your drop, and your comment about
    tired/dead legs are what's suggesting tiredness to me (not a
    doctor, just a beginner runner).

    Quoted message said:


    30.

    Quoted message said:

    and 70% of 180 = 126, where you'd likely have the same
    issues. You might want to look at protocols for testing
    max hr. What you are achieving may be something lower.

    If you don't know your true max hr, I've found a good
    approximation is to find VT/LT (where you start gasping on
    a hard effort = on your hikes where you're gasping, use
    the hr where your conversations with your buddies start
    breaking up - no longer at conversational pace), then
    divide by 0.9. VT/LT is frequently around 90% max hr,
    although it can be

    Frankly this always seemed extremely subjective to me.
    Since breathing picks up in a continuim, and how much
    interuption it places on conversation is also subjective.

    It's possible yours might be a linear change or maybe try it
    on a hill. Mine changes very abruptly if I go up a hill
    hard. But I noticed the other day when doing fartleks on
    dry, snowfree ground, with no footing issues ( a rarity for
    me), it was a much smoother transition than what I'm used to
    when running hills. With many people, like myself when
    running 20-30% slope hills if I'm not careful, I can go from
    conversational to unable to talk pretty quickly. (It's more
    obvious on my mt bike when going uphill - generally 10-20%
    slopes.) My body also starts complaining (early warning
    indicator for me) just before I hit that breathless point.
    That also means, the exact bpm may not be that accurate. But
    the techniques I've used for estimating my max hr do seem to
    result in training zones that have the same verbal
    descriptors that I've seen.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    trained to a higher pct. This is just a first
    approximation, but it works better than most formulas
    unless you use a fairly complex one (it takes a couple
    lines, I've posted it in the past and don't have time to
    look at the moment).

    Check my post in "Max HRM calculation question" on
    12/26/2003 for more background. Formula isn't quite as
    complex as it looks when you recognize that several of the
    terms drop out, depending on activity level.

    HR max = 199.1 + 0.119 x AEF4 + 0.112 x AE + 6.28 x EF3
    + 3.485 x F2 +.468 - 0.0006 x A4 - 0.591 x A A = age; A4
    =(age4)/1000; E = exercise type, if run = 1, if bike =
    0; if sedentary F2 = 1, otherwise F2 = 0; if active F3 =
    1. otherwise F3 = 0; if endurance trained F4 = 1,
    otherwise F4 = 0

    I'm guessing you might use F2=0, F3=1, F4=0, which will drop
    out 2 of the terms.

    Quoted message said:

    My thoughts were this might be the effect of ZERO
    base traing.

    yep.

    Quoted message said:

    Every run, every hike, every bike is pretty much till I hit
    the wall, usually sort of racing with one of my competitive
    buddies. I think I must depleted something or strained
    something and it might be good to back off.

    yep.

    Quoted message said:


    Reading different training stuff recently, it made it
    sound like it should get easier to maintain a HR say 160
    for longer periods as you got aerobically stronger.

    yep.

    Quoted message said:

    I am finding the opposite. I find it harder and harder to
    maintain that rate. Now it might look like a good training
    effect but my times are staying the same.

    Say for example (compressed in time)

    Week 1: 10K (50 minutes Avg HR 165) Week 3: 10K (50
    minutes Avg HR 160) Week 4: 10K (50 minutes Avg HR 155)
    week 6: 10k (50 minutes Avg HR 150)

    Now the problem is percieved effort is the same-Maximal.
    I can't now run 160 HR at all and do a better pace. And
    even with a 150HR average I still feel wiped out
    afterwards. I only seem to be training(straining) my
    heart to beat slower without performance benefit.

    This post as well as your other followup posts suggests to
    me that you're tired, but hey, I'm just a beginner. Most of
    the time I have an avg hr that I hit for easy runs fairly
    easily - can chat with passers by on the trail, etc. When
    I'm tired (first back from a few months of field work or 3
    wks of extended travel), my hr is generally about 5-6 bpm
    lower than normal on those easy runs at my usual perceived
    effort. After field season, it takes about 2 wks for me to
    get back to more usual normal slow and hit my normal easy
    hr. However, that's also made me wonder if my "easy" effort
    might be too high. But it's the minimum effort I can do in
    winter and not freeze to death when it's subzero F so
    practicality over rules theory 😉

    <from original post>

    Quoted message said:

    I am not a racer. I simply want to get fit.

    IMHO, using hr or some measure of effort is a good way to
    improve fitnesss in this situation since you're dealing with
    multiple sports / activities, hills, trails, etc. You can
    just go and not have to worry about wind, footing, etc
    effects on speed.

    As others have already pointed out, you might need to alter
    the intensity and/or duration of workouts. Your body usually
    needs some easier days to recover and build strength.
    Alternate hard / easy or at least don't do 2 hards back-to-
    back until you've got more base. Your winter reduction would
    be your rest cycle in a periodization plan, then gradually
    build base (month or so? - just a shot in the dark) after
    you pick up things in the spring - maybe during breakup 😉
    Then pick up the effort on your activities. A recovery day
    or so or even a week might not hurt in there somewhere. I
    tend to work my hard / easy weeks in with snow conditions /
    breakup so I can take advantage of good conditions and use
    the soggy conditions as recovery before starting main
    buildup toward early summer.

    It also wouldn't surprise me if your original max hr
    estimate of 180 may be low. If you haven't done much
    training, most people can't reach it. Just a thought.

    Dot

    --
    "Success is different things to different people" -Bernd
    Heinrich in Racing the Antelope

  12. Donovan Rebbechi <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<slrnca5np0.pmc.

    Quoted message said:

    Of course it's not practical to use this all the time
    because you may not always run on measured courses or
    courses for which you've performed an all-out run. It's
    more useful as a starting point than anything else.
    Eventually, you will simply develop good instincts for
    proper training pace and at that stage you will neither
    require heart rate monitors nor pace charts.

    If you do go with the heart rate monitor approach, I think
    it's unrealistic to insist on <70% until your fitness
    improves. Try to keep it at about 80% (136), and stay
    under 85% (145) for now. What's may happen is that your
    heart rate will get to 85% or so very easily, and much
    less easily beyond that point (I've observed this when I
    was relatively inexperienced as have some others)

    During a long run, especially in the heat, your heart rate
    may climb, but as long as it stays at around 80% for the
    first two miles I wouldn't be too worried.

    First non flat out run ever...

    I kept my HR in near 130 for a route I did last saturday in
    34 minutes (I think it is about 7kms). Today it took 42mins.
    Very tough to hold a consistent slower pace and consistent
    breathing. I assume that will come with practice. I think I
    will keep it slow for the next two weeks, then allow myself
    one day to run free.

  13. Dot <dot.h@#att.net> wrote in message news:<EBZoc.55227$Ut1.

    Quoted message said:


    Just a thought. LED lights work wonders for running or
    snowshoeing in dark. Mt biking and xc skiing might require
    a brighter light or one of the heavy duty led's. Your
    background sounds a little like some of my earlier
    background - weekend warrior with an assortment of
    activities with some running mid-week for maintenance.

    I have and LED headlamp which I have used for hiking/snow
    shoeing. But I live 40km+ from any decent winter trails. So
    in the winter, driving 80kms after work to get some exercise
    just doesn't strike me as appealing. In the summer I get mid
    week exercise by biking or running out my front door. I am
    not fond of winter running because of footing (we get
    freezing rain followed by powder; nasty) issues. I just
    recently purchased a Mag trainer for my bike that I figure I
    will use through the winter next year, to build a solid
    aerobic base before spring.

    Quoted message said:

    Sorry, I was in a rush to leave for out-of-town meeting
    and no time to respond until now.

    "Heart Rate Monitor Strategies" from early Sep 2003. Look
    at Sam's comments

    Thanks, I will be reading/digesting the HR threads later.

    Quoted message said:

    This post as well as your other followup posts suggests to
    me that you're tired, but hey, I'm just a beginner. Most
    of the time I have an avg hr that I hit for easy runs
    fairly easily - can chat with passers by on the trail,
    etc. When I'm tired (first back from a few months of field
    work or 3 wks of extended travel), my hr is generally
    about 5-6 bpm lower than normal on those easy runs at my
    usual perceived effort. After field season, it takes about
    2 wks for me to get back to more usual normal slow and hit
    my normal easy hr. However, that's also made me wonder if
    my "easy" effort might be too high. But it's the minimum
    effort I can do in winter and not freeze to death when
    it's subzero F so practicality over rules theory 😉

    Hey I bet you don't have to deal with smog warnings which we
    are already getting in Ottawa, even though we still get down
    to -30C in the winter (-20F?).

    Quoted message said:

    <from original post>

    Quoted message said:

    I am not a racer. I simply want to get fit.

    IMHO, using hr or some measure of effort is a good way to
    improve fitnesss in this situation since you're dealing
    with multiple sports / activities, hills, trails, etc. You
    can just go and not have to worry about wind, footing, etc
    effects on speed.

    As others have already pointed out, you might need to
    alter the intensity and/or duration of workouts. <snip>

    My problem is I love the all out feeling, and get a bit
    bored when going easy.

    But I agree. One big factor is that I want to better manage
    energy reserves. I think I never trained my body to rely on
    fat as an energy source. On longer strenuous mountain hikes
    I often get bad blood sugar crash. Most of my "training"
    tends to be an hour or shorter and of a harder nature. I
    think this is relying too much on Glycogen stores. This is
    the major benefit I am looking for.

    But I wouldn't mind trying a running race just for the heck
    of it as I am a bit of an adrenaline junky. Once I entered
    an amateur cycling time trial. My HR was 160 waiting for the
    go signal. I flew up the hills, it was awesome! I would like
    to recapture a bit of that.

    My weekends will look like this: Sat - LSD Run ( previously
    just an all out longer run) Sun - Hike/ longer bike (
    possibly competitive speed bursts in here)

    But it gets hard to figure out how to mix strength, rest,
    biking and running into the other 5 days. Yesterday I ran
    easy in the morning, and biked easy in the evening (mag
    trainer) Today I will do some light strength training and
    tomorrow the weekend starts.

    Maybe: Mon: rest/Light strenght training (a rest from
    aerobics, mainly just chins, pushups, etc.). Tue: easy run
    morning/cycle evening (purely aerobic 1-2 hours total) Wed:
    eays run morning/cycle evening (purely aerobic 1-2 hours
    total) Thur: Hard/short run morning. Fri: Another rest/light
    strenght workout

    Putting that together. it gives me 3 easy pure aerobic days.
    (sat, tue, wed) 2 days where I will likely push the upper
    limits at least occaisonally (thur/Sun) 2 days where I just
    do light strength/rest. (Mon/Fri)

    Seem a reasonable plan?

    Main goals: get fitter, have fun outdoors, switch body
    to rely less on glycogen reserves, and maybe try a 10km
    race for fun.

  14. In article said:

    First non flat out run ever...

    I kept my HR in near 130 for a route I did last saturday
    in 34 minutes (I think it is about 7kms). Today it took
    42mins. Very tough to hold a consistent slower pace and
    consistent breathing. I assume that will come with
    practice.

    The pace sounds about right. And yes, running at an easy
    pace takes practice. You may be more comfortable with a
    slower breathing rhythm at that pace (e.g. 3-3-2 as
    opposed to 2-2)

    Cheers,
    --
    Donovan Rebbechi pegasus.rutgers.edu~elflord

  15. Peter Guidry said:

    Dot <dot.h@#att.net> wrote in message
    news:<EBZoc.55227$Ut1.

    I have and LED headlamp which I have used for
    hiking/snow shoeing. But I live 40km+ from any decent
    winter trails. So in the winter, driving 80kms after
    work to get some exercise just doesn't strike me as
    appealing. In the summer I get mid week exercise by
    biking or running out my front door. I am not fond of
    winter running because of footing (we get freezing rain
    followed by powder; nasty) issues.

    understood - and a valid reason. We sometimes (not always)
    have enough snow underneath the freezing rain layer on our
    trails, that snowshoe running (built-in cleats) works out
    quite well. It's gotten me past some icy patches this year,
    but yea, if you have to drive far to get to a decent trail,
    then it's a hassle.

    I just

    Quoted message said:

    recently purchased a Mag trainer for my bike that I figure
    I will use through the winter next year, to build a solid
    aerobic base before spring.

    sounds like an option. And definitely the right approach to
    keep fit all year.

    Quoted message said:

    Hey I bet you don't have to deal with smog warnings which
    we are already getting in Ottawa, even though we still get
    down to -30C in the winter (-20F?).

    No, although my neighbor's fireplace is *very* noticeable
    when we get inversions. We occasionally get volcanic
    eruptions with their dust clouds, but haven't for about
    10 yrs now.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    <from original post>

    Quoted message said:

    I am not a racer. I simply want to get fit.

    IMHO, using hr or some measure of effort is a good way to
    improve fitnesss in this situation since you're dealing
    with multiple sports / activities, hills, trails, etc. You
    can just go and not have to worry about wind, footing, etc
    effects on speed.

    As others have already pointed out, you might need to
    alter the intensity and/or duration of workouts. <snip>

    My problem is I love the all out feeling, and get a bit
    bored when going easy.

    But I agree.

    Right. As you've already seen, all out every day, results in
    all out every day, not necessarily longer or faster efforts.
    The recovery day(s) or periods, allow you to go harder,
    longer, higher when you do go 😉

    One big factor is that I want to better manage energy

    Quoted message said:

    reserves. I think I never trained my body to rely on fat
    as an energy source. On longer strenuous mountain hikes I
    often get bad blood sugar crash. Most of my "training"
    tends to be an hour or shorter and of a harder nature. I
    think this is relying too much on Glycogen stores. This is
    the major benefit I am looking for.

    yep. One way to use all body resources is to go longer and
    have days at varying intensities. You might look at some of
    the previous discussions on energy sources or if you have
    Tim Noakes' Lore of Running, but it sounds like you're on
    the right track. you might also look at fueling / hydration
    issues for longer outings.

    Quoted message said:


    But I wouldn't mind trying a running race just for the
    heck of it as I am a bit of an adrenaline junky. Once I
    entered an amateur cycling time trial. My HR was 160
    waiting for the go signal. I flew up the hills, it was
    awesome! I would like to recapture a bit of that.

    yep, that's doable 🙂

    Quoted message said:


    My weekends will look like this: Sat - LSD Run (
    previously just an all out longer run) Sun - Hike/ longer
    bike ( possibly competitive speed bursts in here)

    But it gets hard to figure out how to mix strength, rest,
    biking and running into the other 5 days. Yesterday I ran
    easy in the morning, and biked easy in the evening (mag
    trainer) Today I will do some light strength training and
    tomorrow the weekend starts.

    Maybe: Mon: rest/Light strenght training (a rest from
    aerobics, mainly just chins, pushups, etc.). Tue: easy run
    morning/cycle evening (purely aerobic 1-2 hours total)
    Wed: eays run morning/cycle evening (purely aerobic 1-2
    hours total) Thur: Hard/short run morning. Fri: Another
    rest/light strenght workout

    Putting that together. it gives me 3 easy pure aerobic
    days. (sat, tue, wed) 2 days where I will likely push the
    upper limits at least occaisonally (thur/Sun) 2 days where
    I just do light strength/rest. (Mon/Fri)

    Seem a reasonable plan?

    I'll let others comment on this, since I'm just beginning to
    feel like I'm getting it figured out for myself. But it
    looks reasonable to me. You've got the LSD on Sat preceded
    and followed by easy days. You might want to switch Wed and
    Thurs to space the mid-wk hard from the long efforts on
    weekend, although you might want the 3 days rest or easy for
    recovery from the weekend. Another thought, depending on
    where you are for lsd, is that you might want to do them
    every other week - building by 5-10% duration. The week in
    between do an intermediate length run is shorter than lsd,
    but a little higher intensity.

    Try what you've got and see if it works. If you're finding
    yourself too tired or not challenged enough, then adjust
    appropriately - either frequency, duration, effort.

    Quoted message said:


    Main goals: get fitter, have fun outdoors, switch body to
    rely less on glycogen reserves, and maybe try a 10km race
    for fun.

    Sounds great. Good luck.

    Dot

    --
    "Success is different things to different people" -Bernd
    Heinrich in Racing the Antelope

  16. First, endurance training will likely lead to a decrease
    in maximal HR. This effect is reversed with detraining or
    even a taper.

    Second, if you do too much and get over-tired (possibly
    overtrained) HR response can be muted.

    Third, it could also be that you are too fatigued to run
    fast enough to get the HR to max.

    "Peter Guidry" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    When it comes to fitness I have a type A mentality. No
    pain, no gain. I am not a racer. I simply want to get fit.
    But I am thinking my personality has me doing really
    stupid things that really prevent sensible fitness gains.

    Background: I don't do a lot during the winter. I am 38
    YO. On a full out effort in the spring my max HR will be
    around 180. Unfortunately I usually start running by
    doing 7kms my first day flat out (which is around 5min/km
    for me). I cycle and go hiking with my friends and we
    tend to do everything flat out. Hiking (ahem racing)
    uphill with extra weight in packs for added challenge.
    Gasping all the way.

    Now after weeks of these antics. If I try a flat out
    effort my max HR peaks at just over 160. So this is my
    number one question. What is happening here? I haven't
    really read any effect of training on max HR. (resting
    is ~48 ).

    Writing this down, it is obvious that I have been
    exercising like a moron, I could get away with this when
    younger, but now I think it is time to get more sensible.

    The question is what to do now. If I go to 70% max HR
    guidelines for building an aerobic base, What HR do I use
    as my max in that formula. I mean 70% of 160 is 112. I
    don't think I can walk up a gentle hill on a hike without
    hitting 130. I also don't think I can jog at any pace with
    a HR under 130.

    Thoughts.

  17. "Peter Guidry" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Donovan Rebbechi <[email hidden]> wrote in message


    news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Peter Guidry said:

    Now after weeks of these antics. If I try a flat out
    effort my max HR peaks at just over 160. So this is my
    number one question. What is happening here? I haven't
    really read any effect of training on max HR. (resting
    is ~48 ).

    It has been posted a few times. MHR often does drop with
    training,


    especially

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    heavy training. I've ovsered drops of at least 10bpm.

    Quoted message said:

    The question is what to do now. If I go to 70% max HR
    guidelines for building an aerobic base, What HR do I
    use as my max in that formula.

    Given that you've probably got some all-out efforts to
    base your


    training on,

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    you could use a "race" performance instead. This online
    calc computes


    training

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    paces as well as recommended paces for intervals:

    panix.comvdot.html

    I tried this. But since I just run where-ever it is a lot
    easier to go by HR. I might be able to say after I am
    done what my pase was, but I don't have mile markers on
    my trail.

    Quoted message said:

    You may not know the exact distance for the course, but
    that's OK --


    just use

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    a rough estimate of the distance (say the course is 5
    miles) and punch


    in your

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    course PR. Then you can pace yourself again (for that
    course) based on


    the same

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    estimate of the distance (the formulas are ultimately
    time-based, so if


    you

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    botch the distance estimate by a small margin it doen't
    change any


    thing)

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:


    Quoted message said:

    I mean 70% of 160 is 112. I don't think I can walk up
    a gentle hill on a hike without hitting 130. I also
    don't think I can jog at any pace with a HR under 130.

    Wouldn't worry too much about this too much for now.
    Should get better


    with

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    training.

    I guess I think my problem is I never build an aerobic
    base. I always do my thing at 85-90% of max HR. I now
    wonder what negative affects that might have.

    It impairs your aerobic development. Having just read
    "The Perfect Mile" your training sounds like the
    training that Roger Bannister and John Landy
    undertook in their pursuit of the 4 minute mile. I
    believe that limited their ability and is the reason
    it was so hard for them to achieve it and the reason
    that they never progressed. If they had done a more
    modern (Lydiard) approach, they would have broken the
    barrier sooner and also run much faster as evidenced
    by their successors.

    Distance running is an aerobic sport!

    Quoted message said:


    I guess I will limit myself to 130 for a while and see
    what happens. I'll walk if I have to.

  18. Peter Guidry wrote in message
    <[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    Dot <dot.h@#att.net> wrote in message
    news:<EBZoc.55227$Ut1.

    Quoted message said:


    Just a thought. LED lights work wonders for running or
    snowshoeing in dark. Mt biking and xc skiing might
    require a brighter light or one of the heavy duty led's.
    Your background sounds a little like some of my earlier
    background - weekend warrior with an assortment of
    activities with some running mid-week for maintenance.

    I have and LED headlamp which I have used for hiking/snow
    shoeing. But I live 40km+ from any decent winter trails. So
    in the winter, driving 80kms after work to get some
    exercise just doesn't strike me as appealing. In the summer
    I get mid week exercise by biking or running out my front
    door. I am not fond of winter running because of footing
    (we get freezing rain followed by powder; nasty) issues. I
    just recently purchased a Mag trainer for my bike that I
    figure I will use through the winter next year, to build a
    solid aerobic base before spring.

    Quoted message said:

    Sorry, I was in a rush to leave for out-of-town meeting
    and no time to respond until now.

    "Heart Rate Monitor Strategies" from early Sep 2003. Look
    at Sam's comments

    Thanks, I will be reading/digesting the HR threads later.

    Quoted message said:

    This post as well as your other followup posts suggests
    to me that you're tired, but hey, I'm just a beginner.
    Most of the time I have an avg hr that I hit for easy
    runs fairly easily - can chat with passers by on the
    trail, etc. When I'm tired (first back from a few months
    of field work or 3 wks of extended travel), my hr is
    generally about 5-6 bpm lower than normal on those easy
    runs at my usual perceived effort. After field season, it
    takes about 2 wks for me to get back to more usual normal
    slow and hit my normal easy hr. However, that's also made
    me wonder if my "easy" effort might be too high. But it's
    the minimum effort I can do in winter and not freeze to
    death when it's subzero F so practicality over rules
    theory 😉

    Hey I bet you don't have to deal with smog warnings which
    we are already getting in Ottawa, even though we still get
    down to -30C in the winter (-20F?).

    Quoted message said:

    <from original post>

    Quoted message said:

    I am not a racer. I simply want to get fit.

    IMHO, using hr or some measure of effort is a good way to
    improve fitnesss in this situation since you're dealing
    with multiple sports / activities, hills, trails, etc.
    You can just go and not have to worry about wind,
    footing, etc effects on speed.

    As others have already pointed out, you might need to
    alter the intensity and/or duration of workouts. <snip>

    My problem is I love the all out feeling, and get a bit
    bored when going easy.

    But I agree. One big factor is that I want to better manage
    energy reserves. I think I never trained my body to rely on
    fat as an energy source. On longer strenuous mountain hikes
    I often get bad blood sugar crash. Most of my "training"
    tends to be an hour or shorter and of a harder nature. I
    think this is relying too much on Glycogen stores. This is
    the major benefit I am looking for.

    But I wouldn't mind trying a running race just for the heck
    of it as I am a bit of an adrenaline junky. Once I entered
    an amateur cycling time trial. My HR was 160 waiting for
    the go signal. I flew up the hills, it was awesome! I would
    like to recapture a bit of that.

    My weekends will look like this: Sat - LSD Run ( previously
    just an all out longer run) Sun - Hike/ longer bike (
    possibly competitive speed bursts in here)

    But it gets hard to figure out how to mix strength, rest,
    biking and running into the other 5 days. Yesterday I ran
    easy in the morning, and biked easy in the evening (mag
    trainer) Today I will do some light strength training and
    tomorrow the weekend starts.

    Maybe: Mon: rest/Light strenght training (a rest from
    aerobics, mainly just chins, pushups, etc.). Tue: easy run
    morning/cycle evening (purely aerobic 1-2 hours total) Wed:
    eays run morning/cycle evening (purely aerobic 1-2 hours
    total) Thur: Hard/short run morning. Fri: Another
    rest/light strenght workout

    Putting that together. it gives me 3 easy pure aerobic
    days. (sat, tue, wed) 2 days where I will likely push the
    upper limits at least occaisonally (thur/Sun) 2 days where
    I just do light strength/rest. (Mon/Fri)

    Seem a reasonable plan?

    I tried a similar plan, though I've never liked multiple
    workouts in a day; I prefer to go longer for either my run
    or bike. You might consider doing your hard/short run after
    a rest day followed by aerobic days. Right now I'm doing a
    plan that isn't taliored around a weekend long run. For me
    that is too frequent and its unappealing to have the same
    day every week to go long. My plan is simple: Run day 1,
    bike day 2, and walk or rest and do weights day 3. This
    cycle is repeated over and over, varying the intensity and
    length depending on what was done the last time, with long
    runs and bikes thrown in every 10 day to 2 week or so. For
    example, if I run moderately long, say 1:40, the next day
    I'll bike only an hour or so. The next time I will reverse
    it. When I'm ready to do the long run 3-4 hours, then the
    next day I do an easy bike, or if I'm planning to go long on
    the bike, I just run 40 mins or so the day before. Why this
    works for me is that its a consistent pattern, my running
    legs always get 2 days rest from running, and I never have
    to think about which activity should I do. So far I love it.

    Quoted message said:


    Main goals: get fitter, have fun outdoors, switch body
    to rely less on glycogen reserves, and maybe try a 10km
    race for fun.

  19. "qTrader" <qtrader2@(remove)hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Seem a reasonable plan?

    I tried a similar plan, though I've never liked multiple
    workouts in a day; I prefer to go longer for either my run
    or bike. You might consider doing your hard/short run
    after a rest day followed by aerobic days. Right now I'm
    doing a plan that isn't taliored around a weekend long
    run. For me that is too frequent and its unappealing to
    have the same day every week to go long. My plan is
    simple: Run day 1, bike day 2, and walk or rest and do
    weights day 3. This cycle is repeated over and over,
    varying the intensity and length depending on what was
    done the last time, with long runs and bikes thrown in
    every 10 day to 2 week or so. For example, if I run
    moderately long, say 1:40, the next day I'll bike only an
    hour or so. The next time I will reverse it. When I'm
    ready to do the long run 3-4 hours, then the next day I do
    an easy bike, or if I'm planning to go long on the bike, I
    just run 40 mins or so the day before. Why this works for
    me is that its a consistent pattern, my running legs
    always get 2 days rest from running, and I never have to
    think about which activity should I do. So far I love it.

    Yes. I am headed in that direction too. My current goal is
    to hit 1hour of aerobic exercise minimum on aerobic days. If
    I do a short morning run before work I will top off with a
    short bike. More often than not, I am just doing the one 1hr
    workout thus far. I intend to have 5 aerobic days a week.

    The toughest thing so far is training my legs to run at a
    slower pace. It just feels wrong. Muscle usage is even
    different. On a bike I can go at whatever pace easily.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.