General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Can't Get Away from Sodium????

Started by NYC XYZ · · Last activity · 7 posts · 1,154 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
25 January 2005
Last activity
26 January 2005
Original author
NYC XYZ
Posts
7
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,154
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–7 of 7
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Hi, All:

    What's the worst that can happen with high daily sodium intake? I
    mean, there's just no avoiding it! Even them stupid weight watchers
    entrees have like 33% USRDA of sodium each!

    I mean, short of cooking stuff myself (which I do, but can't
    always)...is there no hope?? Could regular exercise (3x/wk. @ 2 hrs.)
    mitigate, if not outright negate, the effects of high daily sodium
    intake? I mean, I do sweat a lot...so maybe all that salts going out
    that way??

    I have low blood pressure, BTW, and am in excellent health (as far as
    the standard physical check-up goes -- I ain't talking about compared
    to athletes, necessarily).

    TIA!!

  2. NYC XYZ said:

    Hi, All:

    What's the worst that can happen with high daily sodium intake? I
    mean, there's just no avoiding it! Even them stupid weight watchers
    entrees have like 33% USRDA of sodium each!

    I mean, short of cooking stuff myself (which I do, but can't
    always)...is there no hope?? Could regular exercise (3x/wk. @ 2 hrs.)
    mitigate, if not outright negate, the effects of high daily sodium
    intake? I mean, I do sweat a lot...so maybe all that salts going out
    that way??

    I have low blood pressure, BTW, and am in excellent health (as far as
    the standard physical check-up goes -- I ain't talking about compared
    to athletes, necessarily).

    TIA!!

    Why are you worried? Most people aren't sodium sensitive anyway, and if
    your blood pressure is on the low side, what's the point of getting
    worked up?

    --
    spammage trappage: replace fishies_ with yahoo

    I'm going to die rather sooner than I'd like. I tried to protect my
    neighbours from crime, and became the victim of it. To jump to the end
    of the story, as a result of this I need a bone marrow transplant. Many
    people around the world are waiting for a marrow transplant, too. Please
    volunteer to be a marrow donor:
    http://www.abmdr.org.au/
    http://www.marrow.org/

  3. Well, I'm trying to be healthier. I lift weights, jog, bicycle...but I
    don't know if that's enough, 'specially since I'm getting older and
    older and it really looks like I ain't the same boy I used to be! I
    mean, even I've noticed how much easier it is to gain weight now, and
    how much harder to gain muscle, etc.

    So anyway, I'm trying to eat healthy, besides just pumping out and
    running around.

    What's sodium sensitive? What are the effects of too much sodium
    intake? This just doesn't seem like something I can control for,
    unless I'm gonna cook for myself all the time!! I mean, sheesh, 25g of
    protein but 660mg of sodium (~33% USRDA) in one shot!

    Say, any "healthy eating" sites around -- but with an eye towards the
    weight-lifter?? You know, I don't want advice like "have a yogurt for
    breakfast"....

  4. "NYC XYZ" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    Hi, All:

    What's the worst that can happen with high daily sodium intake? I
    mean, there's just no avoiding it! Even them stupid weight watchers
    entrees have like 33% USRDA of sodium each!

    I mean, short of cooking stuff myself (which I do, but can't
    always)...is there no hope?? Could regular exercise (3x/wk. @ 2 hrs.)
    mitigate, if not outright negate, the effects of high daily sodium
    intake? I mean, I do sweat a lot...so maybe all that salts going out
    that way??

    I have low blood pressure, BTW, and am in excellent health (as far as
    the standard physical check-up goes -- I ain't talking about compared
    to athletes, necessarily).

    Other than higher blood pressure, which seems not to be an issue for
    you, what "effects of high daily sodium intake" are you concerned about?
    I don't know about the medical/scientific validity of what's on this
    page:

    http://www.acu-cell.com/pna.html

    "Despite its essential requirement, sodium continues to suffer a bad
    reputation as a result of being
    linked to cardiovascular disease and stroke. While one cannot dispute
    its involvement, sodium only
    affects about one third of the population in that regard. The rest does
    not have to worry as much as far
    as intake is concerned. In fact, for those who tend to be on the low
    side blood pressure-wise, adequate
    sodium or salt intake is very important,..."

    For me, eating a lot of sodium makes my weight go up a pound or two
    until I stop eating a lot of sodium, at which point it goes down again.
    Many low-<something> foods have more sodium to make up for the loss of
    flavor that happens when you leave out the <something>, but, e.g., my
    kids like a particular brand of hot dog that comes in both a regular and
    a low-fat style. Given that hot dogs are pretty high in fat, much of it
    the less than desirable kind, we usually by the low-fat hot dogs, which
    are only low in fat when compared to other hot dogs, not other foods.
    They do have more sodium, but my wife and I feel it's an appropriate
    trade-off in this instance. The kids like both styles equally well -
    and, yes, I know, even the lower-sodium hot dogs have tons of sodium
    already.

    -S-
    http://www.kbnj.com

  5. Quoted message said:

    "NYC XYZ" <[email hidden]> wrote in message >
    What's sodium sensitive? What are the effects of too much sodium
    intake?


    ::
    Only about 1/3 of the population is 'sodium sensitive' where
    their kidneys can't handle extra sodium - specifically SALT -
    very well. This is partly due to higher aldosterone levels, so
    they retain too much sodium, which can cause or contribute
    to cardiovascular disease and stroke.
    There is also the usual effect of high sodium on other chemical
    levels, such as a ratio conflict with, or loss of potassium,
    magnesium, and others, which can result in additional medical
    conditions. The chloride component of salt may be a another
    consideration for its beneficial and adverse effects.

  6. Quoted message said:

    "NYC XYZ" <[email hidden]> wrote in message >
    What's sodium sensitive? What are the effects of too much sodium
    intake?


    ::
    Only about 1/3 of the population is 'sodium sensitive' where
    their kidneys can't handle extra sodium - specifically SALT -
    very well. This is partly due to higher aldosterone levels, so
    they retain too much sodium, which can cause or contribute
    to cardiovascular disease and stroke.

    There is also the usual effect of high sodium on other chemical
    levels, such as a ratio conflict with, or loss of potassium,
    magnesium, and others, which can either result in additional
    medical conditions - or improve them, if they are caused by
    low sodium. The chloride component of salt may be a another
    consideration for its beneficial and adverse effects.

  7. NYC XYZ said:

    Could regular exercise (3x/wk. @ 2 hrs.) mitigate, if not
    outright negate, the effects of high daily sodium
    intake? I mean, I do sweat a lot...so maybe all that salts
    going out that way??


    Drink lots of water and dont worry about it.

    <<joni>>

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.