UK and Europe · Public discussion

Can't get my pedals off - Help!

Started by DSK · · Last activity · 30 posts · 1,480 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
UK and Europe
Published
21 September 2004
Last activity
25 September 2004
Original author
DSK
Posts
30
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,480
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 30
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Got myself a set of Look A3.1 pedals the other day and have spend the whole morning trying to muscle the old pedals off my Claud Butler Milano. However, I have tried GT85 penetration fluid and I am using the correct spanner size, but I can't get the old pedals off.

    Does anyone know if I am doing something wrong? Can anyone suggest anything to get the old pedals off?

  2. DSK <[email hidden]> wrote:

    : Does anyone know if I am doing something wrong? Can anyone suggest
    : anything to get the old pedals off?

    A much bigger spanner. Pedal spanners are much longer than a standard
    15mm spanner. If that doesn't work (and it often doesn't), attach
    a length of scafold pole to the pedal spanner.

    Attaching scafold pole to a normal spanner tends to result in a
    snapped spanner mind.

    And some pedals are indeed to frozen on to remove.

    --
    Arthur Clune PGP/GPG Key: http://www.clune.org/pubkey.txt
    "Technolibertarians make a philosophy out of a personality defect"
    - Paulina Borsook

  3. cheers, will try that for the extra levereage. I am using industrial quality spanners not the stuff that you tend to get with the purchase of some bicycles. So a bar on that should hopefully do the trick.

  4. "DSK" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Does anyone know if I am doing something wrong? Can anyone suggest
    anything to get the old pedals off?


    Sorry if it's stating the obvious put don't forget that left and right
    pedals have opposite threads. So you might be tightening it instead of
    loosening it (depending on which pedal you're doing and which way you're
    turning).

  5. "DSK" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    cheers, will try that for the extra levereage. I am using industrial
    quality spanners not the stuff that you tend to get with the purchase
    of some bicycles. So a bar on that should hopefully do the trick.

    --
    DSK


    I am not a cycle guru but a motor vehicle technician. I recently had the
    same problem, I had to remove the cranks and put them in a vice with an
    adjustable spanner ( very good quality) and as the previous post suggested
    put a scaffold bar on the end. I couldn't believe how tight these pedals
    were!

    The cranks were aluminium and several threads were removed on extraction of
    the pedals but job was still a success.

    Release fluid is not all that good in my experience and usually I would of
    heated the components to cherry red with oxy acetylene but obviously with
    aluminium melting at I think 600 degrees C this was not possible.

    HTHs :-)

  6. DSK said:

    Does anyone know if I am doing something wrong? Can anyone suggest
    anything to get the old pedals off?

    We all presume you are turning the spanner the correct way!

    May sound obvious, but the thread on one side goes the other way.

    --
    Kev

  7. "Derek Grebe" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "DSK" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Does anyone know if I am doing something wrong? Can anyone suggest
    anything to get the old pedals off?


    Sorry if it's stating the obvious put don't forget that left and right
    pedals have opposite threads. So you might be tightening it instead of
    loosening it (depending on which pedal you're doing and which way you're
    turning).


    Oops! well said, I forgot that bit :-( Left hand side LH thread, sometimes
    marked with an L.

  8. in message <[email hidden]>, Firefox

    (') said:


    "DSK" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    cheers, will try that for the extra levereage. I am using industrial
    quality spanners not the stuff that you tend to get with the purchase
    of some bicycles. So a bar on that should hopefully do the trick.


    I am not a cycle guru but a motor vehicle technician. I recently had
    the same problem, I had to remove the cranks and put them in a vice
    with an
    adjustable spanner ( very good quality) and as the previous post
    suggested put a scaffold bar on the end. I couldn't believe how tight
    these pedals were!

    They should not be. Use copper grease when you put them back in - it
    helps prevent seizing. Also remember that the left hand pedal has a
    left hand thread!

    --
    [email hidden] (Simon Brooke) http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/

    Do not sail on uphill water.
    - Bill Lee

  9. DSK said:

    Got myself a set of Look A3.1 pedals the other day and have spend the
    whole morning trying to muscle the old pedals off my Claud Butler
    Milano. However, I have tried GT85 penetration fluid and I am using
    the correct spanner size, but I can't get the old pedals off.

    Does anyone know if I am doing something wrong? Can anyone suggest
    anything to get the old pedals off?


    A longer spanner. And turn the LH pedal clockwise to undo it.

  10. DSK said:

    Got myself a set of Look A3.1 pedals the other day and have spend the
    whole morning trying to muscle the old pedals off my Claud Butler
    Milano. However, I have tried GT85 penetration fluid and I am using
    the correct spanner size, but I can't get the old pedals off.

    Does anyone know if I am doing something wrong? Can anyone suggest
    anything to get the old pedals off?

    Make sure spanner isn't too wide and you're turning in the correct
    direction, then give it some welly. Try hitting end of spanner with club
    hammer or mallet.

    Right pedal unscrews anticlockwise, left pedal unscrews clockwise.

    ~PB

  11. "DSK" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Does anyone know if I am doing something wrong? Can anyone suggest
    anything to get the old pedals off?

    As well as using a good strong spanner with a long handle, the following
    technique will give you the best leverage.
    (This is easier if someone else is holding the bike or it is in a stand)

    Left Pedal:
    Stand facing the rear of the bike and with the bike on your right.
    Set cranks horizontal with left crank ponting to rear of bike.
    Reach through (or over) frame with right arm and engage spanner on left
    pedal.
    With left hand hold right crank near pedal.
    (You are now holding spanner in right hand and crank in left)
    Feet apart, back straight; pull spanner UP and push crank down with
    everything you've got.
    Once it's broken loose, keep spanner engaged and simply use to rotate cranks
    forward.
    This will unscrew the pedal the rest of the way.

    Right Pedal:
    Exactly as above, swapping the words "left" and "right"

    Ian

  12. "Firefox" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "D

    Release fluid is not all that good in my experience and usually I would of
    heated the components to cherry red with oxy acetylene but obviously with
    aluminium melting at I think 600 degrees C this was not possible.

    We use "Plus Gas" on our chemical plant which is much less viscous than
    release fluid and seems to penetrate better.
    http://www.tool-up.co.uk/shop/diy/EAC803.html
    --
    Simon M.

  13. In article <[email hidden]>, Simon Mason

    Quoted message said:

    We use "Plus Gas" on our chemical plant which is much less viscous
    than release fluid and seems to penetrate better.
    http://www.tool-up.co.uk/shop/diy/EAC803.html

    I couldn't afford to use it at that price but is very good otherwise.

    --
    A T (Sandy) Morton
    on the Bicycle Island
    In the Global Village
    http://www.millport.net

  14. "Sandy Morton" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    In article <[email hidden]>, Simon Mason

    Quoted message said:

    We use "Plus Gas" on our chemical plant which is much less viscous
    than release fluid and seems to penetrate better.
    http://www.tool-up.co.uk/shop/diy/EAC803.html

    I couldn't afford to use it at that price ...

    Hear, hear.

    And £6.50 for postage too.

  15. DSK <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    Got myself a set of Look A3.1 pedals the other day and have spend the
    whole morning trying to muscle the old pedals off my Claud Butler
    Milano. However, I have tried GT85 penetration fluid and I am using
    the correct spanner size, but I can't get the old pedals off.

    Does anyone know if I am doing something wrong? Can anyone suggest
    anything to get the old pedals off?

    Remove cranks from frame.
    Dis-asemble pedal.
    Place pedal axle flats in vise jaws.
    Tighten like you MEAN it.
    Attach 8 foot 2x4 to crank with hose clamps.
    Turn crank the correct way - separation will occur.

  16. "Sandy Morton" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    In article <[email hidden]>, Simon Mason

    Quoted message said:

    We use "Plus Gas" on our chemical plant which is much less viscous
    than release fluid and seems to penetrate better.
    http://www.tool-up.co.uk/shop/diy/EAC803.html

    I couldn't afford to use it at that price but is very good otherwise.

    It's in the post ;-)

    --
    Simon M.

  17. DSK said:

    Got myself a set of Look A3.1 pedals the other day and have spend the
    whole morning trying to muscle the old pedals off my Claud Butler
    Milano. However, I have tried GT85 penetration fluid and I am using
    the correct spanner size, but I can't get the old pedals off.

    Does anyone know if I am doing something wrong? Can anyone suggest
    anything to get the old pedals off?

    The problem is likely not "tightness" but a alloy-steel
    bond.

    Hence, this (surprisingly) may be a relevant webpage:
    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/stuck-seatposts.html
    Tip XIII is the one!

    BugBear

  18. bugbear said:

    The problem is likely not "tightness" but a alloy-steel
    bond.

    Hence, this (surprisingly) may be a relevant webpage:
    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/stuck-seatposts.html
    Tip XIII is the one!

    Failing that, XIV. Heat crank.

    ~PB

  19. On 21/9/04 6:55 pm, in article 1095789348.N6w+X9a+qt50DikjzcrrQA@teranews,

    wheelsgoround said:


    "DSK" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Does anyone know if I am doing something wrong? Can anyone suggest
    anything to get the old pedals off?

    As well as using a good strong spanner with a long handle, the following
    technique will give you the best leverage.
    (This is easier if someone else is holding the bike or it is in a stand)

    Left Pedal:
    Stand facing the rear of the bike and with the bike on your right.
    Set cranks horizontal with left crank ponting to rear of bike.
    Reach through (or over) frame with right arm and engage spanner on left
    pedal.
    With left hand hold right crank near pedal.
    (You are now holding spanner in right hand and crank in left)
    Feet apart, back straight; pull spanner UP and push crank down with
    everything you've got.

    That depends which way the spanner is facing.

    David's easy method (works for both sides):

    point crank to back of bike.
    Put spanner on facing forwards.
    Push down on spanner and pedal.
    (if necessary you can put your weight on both..foot on pedal and foot
    carefully on the end of the spanner).

    The advantage of this method is that the force on the spanner and the force
    on the pedal are balanced on the crank so you have less risk of damage. It
    is also easy to remember.

    ...d

    Quoted message said:

    Once it's broken loose, keep spanner engaged and simply use to rotate cranks
    forward.
    This will unscrew the pedal the rest of the way.

    Right Pedal:
    Exactly as above, swapping the words "left" and "right"

    Ian

  20. David Martin wrote:
    [snip]

    Quoted message said:


    David's easy method (works for both sides):

    point crank to back of bike.
    Put spanner on facing forwards.
    Push down on spanner and pedal.
    (if necessary you can put your weight on both..foot on pedal and foot
    carefully on the end of the spanner).

    Isn't that the exact opposite of what is required? As I picture it it
    gives anti-clockwise force on the LHS and clockwise on the right both of
    which are tightening forces.

    Quoted message said:

    [snip]

    Peter

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.