rec.sport.unicycling · Public discussion

Can't turn right?

Started by RDJeff · · Last activity · 32 posts · 531 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
rec.sport.unicycling
Published
11 July 2006
Last activity
18 August 2006
Original author
RDJeff
Posts
32
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
531
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 21–32 of 32
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. A little update. I can now freemount just about every other try! I'm
    getting the turning figured out, but am now having more trouble turning
    left than right. I'll take that as a good sign...

    --
    RDJeff
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    RDJeff's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12646
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/51035

  2. Yeah, and a sign that it's time to start practising riding in a figure
    of 8.
    It's an irritation but well worth it.

    --
    GILD

    'three short gs and a long e-flat™'
    (http://w3.rz-berlin.mpg.de/cmp/beethoven_sym5_1.wav) - 'world jump
    day' (http://www.worldjumpday.org/)
    'if i'm murdered, don't execute my killer.'
    (http://www.inthesetimes.com/site/main/article/1539/)
    'harper' (http://tinyurl.com/c9epx)
    'NAMASTE!' (http://tinyurl.com/4qcxw)
    'Dave' (http://www.lyricsdir.com/d/deep-purple/child-in-time.php)
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    GILD's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/657
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/51035

  3. That sounds like good advice! Thanks Gild! Now I just wish I could
    ride more than one evening per week!

    --
    RDJeff
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    RDJeff's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12646
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/51035

  4. Sounds like you're on quite a hectic schedule.
    What keeps you so busy?

    --
    GILD

    'three short gs and a long e-flat™'
    (http://w3.rz-berlin.mpg.de/cmp/beethoven_sym5_1.wav) - 'world jump
    day' (http://www.worldjumpday.org/)
    'if i'm murdered, don't execute my killer.'
    (http://www.inthesetimes.com/site/main/article/1539/)
    'harper' (http://tinyurl.com/c9epx)
    'NAMASTE!' (http://tinyurl.com/4qcxw)
    'Dave' (http://www.lyricsdir.com/d/deep-purple/child-in-time.php)
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    GILD's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/657
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/51035

  5. Let's see, work, family, motorbike racing, garden work, house
    maintenance, firewood...

    Up here, we have to cram a lot of activity into the short summer
    months. But, we can ride a uni at midnight and not need lights!

    --
    RDJeff
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    RDJeff's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12646
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/51035

  6. Every dark cloud, hey?

    --
    GILD

    'three short gs and a long e-flat™'
    (http://w3.rz-berlin.mpg.de/cmp/beethoven_sym5_1.wav) - 'world jump
    day' (http://www.worldjumpday.org/)
    'if i'm murdered, don't execute my killer.'
    (http://www.inthesetimes.com/site/main/article/1539/)
    'harper' (http://tinyurl.com/c9epx)
    'NAMASTE!' (http://tinyurl.com/4qcxw)
    'Dave' (http://www.lyricsdir.com/d/deep-purple/child-in-time.php)
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    GILD's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/657
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/51035

  7. We should start doing all our angles in radians.

    "if you want to turn right just turn (3 x pi)/2 left"
    Corrected.

    --
    Robbie

    *Quick, get the access codes!*
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Robbie's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5302
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/51035

  8. I usually go counter clock wise in circles becuase I can't turn right
    very easy

    --
    zachjowi
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    zachjowi's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12534
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/51035

  9. No dark clouds here!

    --
    RDJeff
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    RDJeff's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12646
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/51035

  10. I can turn either way just fine now! Still having trouble doing a free
    mount though. Oh well, more practice!

    --
    RDJeff
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    RDJeff's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12646
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/51035

  11. Yeah, that is the ticket.
    It does help to pay attention to small details of succesfull mounts and
    making sure that you replicate them as closely as you can.
    This may include, but are not limited to, the angle of the 'other'
    pedal, the position of your foot on the ground reletive to the uni and
    the angle of the crank you're about to step on.

    --
    GILD

    'three short gs and a long e-flat™'
    (http://w3.rz-berlin.mpg.de/cmp/beethoven_sym5_1.wav) - 'world jump
    day' (http://www.worldjumpday.org/)
    'if i'm murdered, don't execute my killer.'
    (http://www.inthesetimes.com/site/main/article/1539/)
    'harper' (http://tinyurl.com/c9epx)
    'NAMASTE!' (http://tinyurl.com/4qcxw)
    'Dave' (http://www.lyricsdir.com/d/deep-purple/child-in-time.php)
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    GILD's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/657
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/51035

  12. RDJeff-

    I'm about where you are. On August 1st (about 3 weeks ago) I purchased
    a 24" Torker LX and a Coker Deluxe. I decided to learn on the Torker,
    and then, when I felt good enough, move up to the Coker. At the time, I
    thought it would take me, at least, 6 months to feel confident enough
    to move up to the Coker. I guess you could say the Coker was my
    incentive to learn. Well, after only about a week of riding the Toker,
    I could do a static mount and ride about 300 feet (around my
    cul-de-sac). So, I decided to move up to the Coker. The Coker, in some
    sense, seemed almost easier to ride than the 24”. Although, the
    mounting has been the most difficult part. For the first few days, I
    mounted the Coker while holding on to a mailbox to start off. The first
    time I got on, I remember thinking; ‘what the hell am I doing?’ I was
    dripping in sweat. My start offs were very shaky and I seemed to get
    stuck against the curb in the gutter. So, I watched several videos of
    people doing a kind of running jump on the Coker. That type of mount,
    at first, seemed to be too suicidal for me. (I’m sure there is a term
    for that type of mount, but I don’t know what it is called) So, I tried
    to do a static mount, but I was only successful about 1 in every 7
    tries. Eventually, I was brave enough to attempt the running mount.
    Although, at this point, at least, I wouldn’t say it’s a running start.
    My wife says it looks like I’m sneaking up on my Coker. LoL My street
    has a slight grade to it, so I started off going down hill, which
    seemed to help a lot. Now, I’m successfully mounting almost every try,
    maybe it is closer to 1 out of 2 tries, which was a huge improvement
    for me. Now that I can mount most of the time, I am now working on my
    turns. I also seem to have this wobble in my wheel as I pedal. I can
    turn, not every time, but I can turn. I have to use the entire
    cul-de-sac, though, to turn. I can go both left and right turns, but I
    am definitely not very good at it yet. I think I’ll try doing some
    figure eights and see if that helps or I might try setting up some
    cones in the street and attempt doing slalom. Right now, I’m just
    concentrating my efforts in those 2 areas: eliminating the wobble and
    perfecting my turning. If anyone has any tips, that would be great!

    --
    tenderfoot
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    tenderfoot's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/13029
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/51035

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.