I got these bad ass Frye boots today. They don't fit in my toe-clips
all that well though. They have a bit of a heel on them, so there's
some room where I might be able to bolt a cleat. I've never had a pair
of clipless pedals before. Is it possible to attach the cleats to the
bottom of a shoe not specifically meant for the purpose?
Cycling Equipment · Public discussion
Can you attach cleats to boots?
Thread navigation
Jump through the discussion
Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.
Thread details
What we know about this thread
- Original section
- Cycling Equipment
- Published
- 27 August 2007
- Last activity
- 2 September 2007
- Original author
- Pilgrim
- Posts
- 10
- Discussion status
- Public discussion
- Total views
- 526
- Views / 30 days
- 0
The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.
-
-
Pilgrim said:
I got these bad ass Frye boots today. They don't fit in my toe-clips
all that well though. They have a bit of a heel on them, so there's
some room where I might be able to bolt a cleat. I've never had a pair
of clipless pedals before. Is it possible to attach the cleats to the
bottom of a shoe not specifically meant for the purpose?It's possible if you're crafty, but recessing the cleat will be
difficult. Just use some rubber block pedals like the rest of the
world uses. Alternately some mtb platforms. -
"Pilgrim" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
news:[email hidden]...Quoted message said:
I got these bad ass Frye boots today. They don't fit in my toe-clips
all that well though. They have a bit of a heel on them, so there's
some room where I might be able to bolt a cleat. I've never had a pair
of clipless pedals before. Is it possible to attach the cleats to the
bottom of a shoe not specifically meant for the purpose?Nice troll.
-
Pilgrim said:
I got these bad ass Frye boots today. They don't fit in my toe-clips
all that well though. They have a bit of a heel on them, so there's
some room where I might be able to bolt a cleat. I've never had a pair
of clipless pedals before. Is it possible to attach the cleats to the
bottom of a shoe not specifically meant for the purpose?"Make you own clipless combat boots":
-
Jim Flom said:
"Pilgrim" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
news:[email hidden]...
Quoted message said:
I got these bad ass Frye boots today. They don't fit in my toe-clips
all that well though. They have a bit of a heel on them, so there's
some room where I might be able to bolt a cleat. I've never had a pair
of clipless pedals before. Is it possible to attach the cleats to the
bottom of a shoe not specifically meant for the purpose?Quoted message said:
Nice troll.
http://preview.tinyurl.com/288unf
satisfied?
-
Gary Young said:
Pilgrim said:
I got these bad ass Frye boots today. They don't fit in my toe-clips
all that well though. They have a bit of a heel on them, so there's
some room where I might be able to bolt a cleat. I've never had a pair
of clipless pedals before. Is it possible to attach the cleats to the
bottom of a shoe not specifically meant for the purpose?Quoted message said:
"Make you own clipless combat boots":
Thanks, that answers my question!
-
Pilgrim said:
I got these bad ass Frye boots today. They don't fit in my toe-clips
all that well though. They have a bit of a heel on them, so there's
some room where I might be able to bolt a cleat. I've never had a pair
of clipless pedals before. Is it possible to attach the cleats to the
bottom of a shoe not specifically meant for the purpose?
I don't see why not. Original Shimano shoes used a separate plate
inside, to which the cleats bolted. With a drill and a craft knife you
could do the same thing, although whether the soles are stiff enough for
effective cycling is your shout. -
landotter? said:
Pilgrim said:
I got these bad ass Frye boots today. They don't fit in my toe-clips
all that well though. They have a bit of a heel on them, so there's
some room where I might be able to bolt a cleat. I've never had a pair
of clipless pedals before. Is it possible to attach the cleats to the
bottom of a shoe not specifically meant for the purpose?It's possible if you're crafty, but recessing the cleat will be
difficult. Just use some rubber block pedals like the rest of the
world uses. Alternately some mtb platforms.I wish these were SPD compatible:
<http://www.sorel.com/Product.aspx?top=1&cat=120&prod=49>. Foot
retention is necessary with a BB above seat level, and not being able to
keep my feet warm is by far the limiting factor for me in cold weather
riding.--
Tom Sherman - Holstein-Friesland Bovinia
A Real Cyclist [TM] keeps at least one bicycle in the bedroom.--
Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com -
In article <[email hidden]>, "Tom \"Johnny
Sunset\" Sherman" <[email hidden]> says...Quoted message said:
I wish these were SPD compatible:
<http://www.sorel.com/Product.aspx?top=1&cat=120&prod=49>. Foot
retention is necessary with a BB above seat level, and not being able to
keep my feet warm is by far the limiting factor for me in cold weather
riding.Should be very simple to convert those to SPDs. T-nuts through
stainless safety insoles inside the shoe, Look-to-SPD adapter on the
outside, use a router to smooth the tread off the sole.--
[email hidden] is Joshua Putnam
<http://www.phred.org/~josh/>
Braze your own bicycle frames. See
<http://www.phred.org/~josh/build/build.html> -
Quoted message said:
In article <[email hidden]>, "Tom \"Johnny
Sunset\" Sherman" <[email hidden]> says...Quoted message said:
I wish these were SPD compatible:
<http://www.sorel.com/Product.aspx?top=1&cat=120&prod=49>. Foot
retention is necessary with a BB above seat level, and not being able to
keep my feet warm is by far the limiting factor for me in cold weather
riding.Should be very simple to convert those to SPDs. T-nuts through
stainless safety insoles inside the shoe, Look-to-SPD adapter on the
outside, use a router to smooth the tread off the sole.What he said. Some of us are undeterred by items not designed for our
intended use: http://home.comcast.net/~mandmlj/ShoeLugs/Mark "Kludge it!" J.
Active in the last 60 minutes
Active in this thread
0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total
No signed-in users are active right now.
No known search crawlers active right now.