can you recomend a computer for felt f70 racer?

Hi, I bought the computer that Halfords sells for 5 quid, to go on my
new Felt F70 racing bike ( I have one on my MT bike and thought it was
quite good value. ) The problem though, is the sensor/magnet are too
big to fit on the inside of the forks. What computer has a slim sensor
? i have about less than an inch between the spokes and the inside of
the fork ?

Cheers,

Simon

[email protected] wrote:
> Hi, I bought the computer that Halfords sells for 5 quid, to go on my
> new Felt F70 racing bike ( I have one on my MT bike and thought it was
> quite good value. ) The problem though, is the sensor/magnet are too
> big to fit on the inside of the forks. What computer has a slim sensor
> ? i have about less than an inch between the spokes and the inside of
> the fork ?

Do you have to put it /between/ the fork and the wheel? On at least one
of my bikes the sensor is positioned behind the fork at a slight angle
bringing it nice and close to the wheel magnet. That is with a Cateye
computer that has quite a chunky, tubular reed relay sensor.

Peter

--

www.amey.org.uk

> Do you have to put it /between/ the fork and the wheel? On at least one
> of my bikes the sensor is positioned behind the fork at a slight angle
> bringing it nice and close to the wheel magnet. That is with a Cateye
> computer that has quite a chunky, tubular reed relay sensor.
>
> Peter
>

> --
>
> www.amey.org.uk

Peter

The forks are made from carbon fibre, and are flat rather than round.
I see what you mean but the only place to mount the sensor is on the
inside of the fork really, on the flat surface. I might email felt to
see what they say.

Cheers,

Simon

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi, I bought the computer that Halfords sells for 5 quid, to go on my
> new Felt F70 racing bike ( I have one on my MT bike and thought it was
> quite good value. ) The problem though, is the sensor/magnet are too
> big to fit on the inside of the forks. What computer has a slim sensor
> ? i have about less than an inch between the spokes and the inside of
> the fork ?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Simon

Mount it on a chainstay.

Ken.

[email protected] wrote:

> The forks are made from carbon fibre, and are flat rather than round.
> I see what you mean but the only place to mount the sensor is on the
> inside of the fork really, on the flat surface. I might email felt to
> see what they say.

Cateye computers come with a special bracket for "aero" forks like yours.
It supports the sensor behind the fork, fixed neatly with a cable tie.

Cateye Mity 8 is has a good set of features and a clear display. Also
look out for old stock of the previous version: Mity 3.

~PB

Ken Clements wrote:
> Mount it on a chainstay.

Seconded. I bought a long cable mounting bracket for my Cateye after
discovering that the cable ties had marked the gel coat on my CF forks!

Jon

"Jon Senior" <jon_AT_restlesslemon_DOT_co_DOT_uk> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Ken Clements wrote:
>> Mount it on a chainstay.

> Seconded. I bought a long cable mounting bracket for my Cateye after
> discovering that the cable ties had marked the gel coat on my CF forks!
>
> Jon

Black self-amalgamating tape is your friend

Julia

The cateye astrale 8 is a rear wheel mount with cadence.

cheers
Jon_H

If rear wheel sensors are being recommended for neatness then that has to
be weighed up against the ugliness and fuss of running the cable along the
down tube. And your average speed will be lower ;-) (Front wheel wobbles
add more distance).

~PB

Pete Biggs wrote:

> Cateye computers come with a special bracket for "aero" forks like yours.
> It supports the sensor behind the fork, fixed neatly with a cable tie.

My VDO Cytec C10+ (Halfords, about £20 four years ago, 10600 miles in
all weathers) does likewise, but fits in front of the fork. I think I
prefer this - were it to slip, being on the trailing edge of the fork
wrt wheel rotation seems more sensible.

--
Mark.
http://tranchant.plus.com/

Mark Tranchant wrote:
> Pete Biggs wrote:
>
>> Cateye computers come with a special bracket for "aero" forks like
>> yours. It supports the sensor behind the fork, fixed neatly with a
>> cable tie.

> My VDO Cytec C10+ (Halfords, about £20 four years ago, 10600 miles in
> all weathers) does likewise, but fits in front of the fork. I think I
> prefer this - were it to slip, being on the trailing edge of the fork
> wrt wheel rotation seems more sensible.

It might be possible to put the Cateye one in front as well. The flat pad
on inside of fork prevents it slipping round anyway.

~PB

Pete Biggs wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:
>
> > The forks are made from carbon fibre, and are flat rather than round.
> > I see what you mean but the only place to mount the sensor is on the
> > inside of the fork really, on the flat surface. I might email felt to
> > see what they say.

> Cateye computers come with a special bracket for "aero" forks like yours.
> It supports the sensor behind the fork, fixed neatly with a cable tie.

Thanks for that I got a cateye one and the sensor fits the forks a
treat

Simon