can you recommend a light digital camera for cycle-touring?

bobdobbs

Guest
Seeking recommendations on a compact digital camera for long-distance
self-contained bike tours. My criteria are: decent zoom range (4X would
be ideal), decent flash range, easy to grip, size and weight, battery
life (capabability with CR-VS batteries), a few "options" such as black
and white/sepia and landscape, and of course, overall quality.
Particularly interested in any experience with Nikon Coolpix L-3, Sony
Cybershot-DSC-W5 or P150, Canon Powershot A520, Olympus D-580 Zoom. I
have a Fuji 500 that's light and good to grip but has crappy with flash
range, controls hard to manipulate and has a lot interval between
shots. I'm not overall concerned with number of megapixels. Thanks.
Phil

"bobdobbs" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Seeking recommendations on a compact digital camera for long-distance
> self-contained bike tours. My criteria are: decent zoom range (4X would
> be ideal), decent flash range, easy to grip, size and weight, battery
> life (capabability with CR-VS batteries), a few "options" such as black
> and white/sepia and landscape, and of course, overall quality.
> Particularly interested in any experience with Nikon Coolpix L-3, Sony
> Cybershot-DSC-W5 or P150, Canon Powershot A520, Olympus D-580 Zoom. I
> have a Fuji 500 that's light and good to grip but has crappy with flash
> range, controls hard to manipulate and has a lot interval between
> shots. I'm not overall concerned with number of megapixels. Thanks.
> Phil

I have Sony Cybershot DSC T5 - selected after reading user reviews on Amazon
and other places. Cameras are always a compromise between size and
performance, and compact was vital to me. It's no use having a top spec
camera that isn't with you 'cos it's too bloody big to cart around!!! I'm
thrilled with it. Look up specs on Amazon or Sony site. It really performs
well and is barely noticeable in my pocket.

Upgrade to a Fuji Finepix...it has the features you are looking for...but be
warned it EATS batteries.

B.

bobdobbs wrote:
> Seeking recommendations on a compact digital camera for long-distance
> self-contained bike tours. My criteria are: decent zoom range (4X would
> be ideal), decent flash range, easy to grip, size and weight, battery
> life (capabability with CR-VS batteries), a few "options" such as black
> and white/sepia and landscape, and of course, overall quality.
> Particularly interested in any experience with Nikon Coolpix L-3, Sony
> Cybershot-DSC-W5 or P150, Canon Powershot A520, Olympus D-580 Zoom. I
> have a Fuji 500 that's light and good to grip but has crappy with flash
> range, controls hard to manipulate and has a lot interval between
> shots. I'm not overall concerned with number of megapixels. Thanks.
> Phil

Olympus Stylus 720, compact, great pictures and water proof to 3m,
which means if you're carrying it on your bike it won't care if it
rains. I have the Stylus 800, which is 'weather' proof and takes great
shots, it also has some handy manual controls over ISO, SP and AP.

Check out www.dpreview.com for a bunch of in depth reviews.

laters,

Marz

bobdobbs [email protected] wrote in news:1151646750.968299.242250
@y41g2000cwy.googlegroups.com:

> Seeking recommendations on a compact digital camera for long-distance
> self-contained bike tours. My criteria are: decent zoom range (4X would
> be ideal), decent flash range, easy to grip, size and weight, battery
> life (capabability with CR-VS batteries), a few "options" such as black
> and white/sepia and landscape, and of course, overall quality.
> Particularly interested in any experience with Nikon Coolpix L-3, Sony
> Cybershot-DSC-W5 or P150, Canon Powershot A520, Olympus D-580 Zoom. I
> have a Fuji 500 that's light and good to grip but has crappy with flash
> range, controls hard to manipulate and has a lot interval between
> shots. I'm not overall concerned with number of megapixels. Thanks.
> Phil

I've been packing a Sony DSC-P93 on my bike for about 2 years.
While it uses a pair of AA batteries, so do my blinkies,
little radio, and mp3 player. I only need one NiMH charger
for all. It's served me well with macro pix of flora and fauna,
skylines, landscapes, long exposure night shots, and pix of
coworkers to be photoshopped into instruments of extortion.

bobdobbs wrote:
> Seeking recommendations on a compact digital camera for long-distance
> self-contained bike tours. My criteria are: decent zoom range (4X would
> be ideal), decent flash range, easy to grip, size and weight, battery
> life (capabability with CR-VS batteries), a few "options" such as black
> and white/sepia and landscape, and of course, overall quality.
> Particularly interested in any experience with Nikon Coolpix L-3, Sony
> Cybershot-DSC-W5 or P150, Canon Powershot A520, Olympus D-580 Zoom. I
> have a Fuji 500 that's light and good to grip but has crappy with flash
> range, controls hard to manipulate and has a lot interval between
> shots. I'm not overall concerned with number of megapixels. Thanks.
> Phil

Buy something cheap that uses standard AA rechargeables and a common SD
memory card.
I fell on my first camera, in pocket, and smashed it. Only go as
expensive as you feel you can tolerate breaking or losing.
As for the AA's you can always carry spares, unlike with a proprietary
battery pack.
Happy snapping
Bill Baka

Canon PowerShot SD110 Digital ELPH.
I've used this for 2 years now for a biking camera.

Steel body. Makes it heavier than all the plastic models but heavy is
better for getting clear shots. Many are just too light to hold still
when you push the button.

Battery life isn't great (compared to my Sony), won't last all day of
taking pictures. But the charger is tiny. no cords, easy to use when
traveling. I got a second battery which is pretty small.

I put in a 1-gig SD memory card. That will take nearly 1000 pictures
in this camera or hours of 30 second video clips. Pretty much all
manufacturers put in a too-small memory card, plan on just replacing
with the largest capacity the camera will take and be done with it.
Messing with multiple cards is a pain. SD seems to be the most
prevalent of the 19+ different memory cards.

With any camera, film or digital, put it in a plastic bag to keep it
from getting soaked by rain or your body sweat. Carrying a camera in
your jersey pocket unprotected will ruin it.

sony still makes the best batteries. My older Sony DSC-S75 batteries
last for days but the camera is way too bike for riding.

Get a 1 in 1 usb-memory card adaptor for that memory card only. Forget
the 7 in 1 or 12 in one models.. Beats messing with cables too.

And get a tripod! I got a mini-mini version, just 4 inches tall,
plastic, with a velcro strap. Works great with the self timer. Weighs
like 1 ounce.

Rick

"bobdobbs" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Seeking recommendations on a compact digital camera for long-distance
> self-contained bike tours. My criteria are: decent zoom range (4X would
> be ideal), decent flash range, easy to grip, size and weight, battery
> life (capabability with CR-VS batteries), a few "options" such as black
> and white/sepia and landscape, and of course, overall quality.
> Particularly interested in any experience with Nikon Coolpix L-3, Sony
> Cybershot-DSC-W5 or P150, Canon Powershot A520, Olympus D-580 Zoom. I
> have a Fuji 500 that's light and good to grip but has crappy with flash
> range, controls hard to manipulate and has a lot interval between
> shots. I'm not overall concerned with number of megapixels. Thanks.

In addition to the power issue (using standard batteries so you can find
replacements in the field), pay particular attention to how long the camera
takes to boot and to cycle between shots. There are immense variations here,
and a fast camera is sometimes to be preferred over one that sacrifices
speed for other considerations.

Review sites like www.dpreview.com and www.steves-digicams.com are pretty
good for getting these sorts of performance measurements.

And avoid non-integral lens caps!

RichC

> Seeking recommendations on a compact digital camera for long-distance
> self-contained bike tours. My criteria are: decent zoom range (4X would
> be ideal), decent flash range, easy to grip, size and weight, battery
> life (capabability with CR-VS batteries), a few "options" such as black
> and white/sepia and landscape, and of course, overall quality.
> Particularly interested in any experience with Nikon Coolpix L-3, Sony
> Cybershot-DSC-W5 or P150, Canon Powershot A520, Olympus D-580 Zoom. I
> have a Fuji 500 that's light and good to grip but has crappy with flash
> range, controls hard to manipulate and has a lot interval between
> shots. I'm not overall concerned with number of megapixels. Thanks.
> Phil

Are you trying to take photos *while* riding? That's what I do, and that
introduces a new set of important criteria- very fast on/off time, virtually
zero shutter lag, ability to shoot at higher ISO without a poor shot
(required so you can use a faster shutter speed) and long battery life.

I've used quite a number of cameras over the years, but the best for taking
photos while riding, hands down, has been the Fuji F10. The new F30 would be
even more better, since it gives you more control over shutter & aperture
(the F10 you have to control via ISO). Some hate the XD media cards, but
since you can get 1gig cards for $39.99 (Frys), that's not that big a deal.
Shot-to-shot time is close to zero, shutter lag virtually non-existent,
battery life about 300 shots. Also lightweight, relatively small, but *not*
so small or square-shaped that you can't orient it properly before removing
it from your pocket. The Olympus D40 took nice pix, but it's nearly-square
shape made it difficult to use.

--Mike Jacoubowsky
Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReaction.com
Redwood City & Los Altos, CA USA

Rich Clark wrote:
> "bobdobbs" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> Seeking recommendations on a compact digital camera for long-distance
>> self-contained bike tours. My criteria are: decent zoom range (4X would
>> be ideal), decent flash range, easy to grip, size and weight, battery
>> life (capabability with CR-VS batteries), a few "options" such as black
>> and white/sepia and landscape, and of course, overall quality.
>> Particularly interested in any experience with Nikon Coolpix L-3, Sony
>> Cybershot-DSC-W5 or P150, Canon Powershot A520, Olympus D-580 Zoom. I
>> have a Fuji 500 that's light and good to grip but has crappy with flash
>> range, controls hard to manipulate and has a lot interval between
>> shots. I'm not overall concerned with number of megapixels. Thanks.

> In addition to the power issue (using standard batteries so you can find
> replacements in the field), pay particular attention to how long the camera
> takes to boot and to cycle between shots. There are immense variations here,
> and a fast camera is sometimes to be preferred over one that sacrifices
> speed for other considerations.
>
> Review sites like www.dpreview.com and www.steves-digicams.com are pretty
> good for getting these sorts of performance measurements.
>
> And avoid non-integral lens caps!
>
> RichC

I agree with all you are saying here, since my camera, a cheap Vivitar,
takes so long to boot I can miss the shot. If I leave it on the LCD
viewfinder eats the batteries. It still only gets used for spur of the
moment shots. For the real keepers I take the backpack and my Minolta
35mm with a few sets of lenses. Even with 800ASA film it comes out like
25 Megapixels. Digital cameras are still nice toys, but even the
expensive ones don't compare, yet. I still would go with the cheapest
possible digital camera, just in case you take a tumble and land on the
camera. It would be a shame to spend $500 on a camera and then find out
the warranty does not cover you falling on it.
Disclaimer; I am an on road / off road rider so I do get to some good
places but also crash more getting there.
YMMV
Bill Baka

"bobdobbs" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Seeking recommendations on a compact digital camera for long-distance
> self-contained bike tours. My criteria are: decent zoom range (4X would
> be ideal), decent flash range, easy to grip, size and weight, battery
> life (capabability with CR-VS batteries), a few "options" such as black
> and white/sepia and landscape, and of course, overall quality.
> Particularly interested in any experience with Nikon Coolpix L-3, Sony
> Cybershot-DSC-W5 or P150, Canon Powershot A520, Olympus D-580 Zoom. I
> have a Fuji 500 that's light and good to grip but has crappy with flash
> range, controls hard to manipulate and has a lot interval between
> shots. I'm not overall concerned with number of megapixels. Thanks.
> Phil

I use a Pentax Optio S4i on all my biking and just about everything else
too.
It has some great macro features for taking closeups as well as the built in
Zoom telephoto feature.
It fits nicely in an Altoids Mint tin box as well.

On Thu, 29 Jun 2006 22:52:31 -0700, bobdobbs wrote:

> Seeking recommendations on a compact digital camera for long-distance
> self-contained bike tours. My criteria are: decent zoom range (4X would
> be ideal), decent flash range, easy to grip, size and weight, battery
> life (capabability with CR-VS batteries), a few "options" such as black
> and white/sepia and landscape, and of course, overall quality.

I am not particularly savvy with respect to digital cameras, but my Canon
Power-Shot sure works for me. The big thing about it is that it is small
and light, and works. 3x or 4x optical zoom, and plenty of pixels (as
do all cameras these days).

> Cybershot-DSC-W5 or P150, Canon Powershot A520,

Mine is the very small sd-200 (I think that is the name). The A* models
were bulkier, and this has all the features I need. Battery is a
Li-ion type, but holds a charge well and is cheap to replace (found
this out when the dog ate the original battery). It's been on two
tours with me, and has been flawless.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | The lottery is a tax on those who fail to understand
_`\(,_ | mathematics.
(_)/ (_) |

On Thu, 29 Jun 2006 23:32:14 -0700, Brian wrote:

> Upgrade to a Fuji Finepix...it has the features you are looking for...but be
> warned it EATS batteries.

I strongly recommend against anything using replaceable batteries. My
first camera had those, and I went through many, many batteries. Cheaper
to use film.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | Do not worry about your difficulties in mathematics, I can
_`\(,_ | assure you that mine are all greater. -- A. Einstein
(_)/ (_) |

On Fri, 30 Jun 2006 23:05:57 +0000, Bill wrote:

> moment shots. For the real keepers I take the backpack and my Minolta
> 35mm with a few sets of lenses.

That's a lot to schlep around on a tour.

> Even with 800ASA film it comes out like
> 25 Megapixels.

That's hyperbole. While film does vary in terms of graininess, the
standards in B&W, such as Tri-X (400 ASA), could not come near the
resolution of a cheap digital camera now. We usually view digital
pictures on an 8x12 window or larger, and an 8x12 tri-X blow-up would
typically be abstract impressionism.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | If all economists were laid end to end, they would not reach a
_`\(,_ | conclusion. -- George Bernard Shaw
(_)/ (_) |

news:p[email protected]...
> On Thu, 29 Jun 2006 23:32:14 -0700, Brian wrote:
>
>> Upgrade to a Fuji Finepix...it has the features you are looking for...but
>> be
>> warned it EATS batteries.

> I strongly recommend against anything using replaceable batteries. My
> first camera had those, and I went through many, many batteries. Cheaper
> to use film.

I would agree under normal circumstances, not just from an economic but also
from an environmental point of view.

But a camera for a cycletourist (or anyone traveling sans reliable AC power
for rechargers) is perhaps a special case. Cameras that use the AA form
factor offer both the option of using rechargeable batteries (for economy
and for not creating toxic waste) and the fallback position of being able to
buy batteries anywhere, even internationally.

Having to bring and use a charger for the proprietary lithium ion batteries
used by many cameras can be a problem, especially if you use the flash a
lot. (If you know it won't be a problem, the proprietary batteries usually
offer more power for less weight than generic batteries do, but factor the
$20-30 for a spare one into the purchase price.)

RichC

David L. Johnson wrote:
> On Fri, 30 Jun 2006 23:05:57 +0000, Bill wrote:
>
>> moment shots. For the real keepers I take the backpack and my Minolta
>> 35mm with a few sets of lenses.

> That's a lot to schlep around on a tour.
>
>> Even with 800ASA film it comes out like
>> 25 Megapixels.

> That's hyperbole. While film does vary in terms of graininess, the
> standards in B&W, such as Tri-X (400 ASA), could not come near the
> resolution of a cheap digital camera now. We usually view digital
> pictures on an 8x12 window or larger, and an 8x12 tri-X blow-up would
> typically be abstract impressionism.

Not entirely hyperbole, as you would suggest. The lenses on my 35mm cost
more each than a lot of 5Mp digital cameras so the focus is really right
on. Most of the digital cameras I have looked at (under $500) have had
cheap lenses. As far as the DPI of film it is limited by graininess and
not an absolute limit of pixels. If you want absurdly sharp I have some
ASA 25 medium format B/W pictures that could probably be called a 100
Mp. Those days are history since I have one roll of exposed Kodacolor I
forgot about and can't get developed anywhere. Konica/Minolta is coming
out with a digital SLR that may take my lens collection, but only about
8 MP for about $800, rumored. I haven't seen one yet but if it is decent
I may buy one. I may not be Ansel Adams, but I do like to take good
pictures.
Bill Baka