Can you recommend good, windproof overshoes/socks

DanDare

Jul 15, 2009
I currently use Shimano MTB type shoes ie, they have a gripped sole. My feet/toes are the first thing to start suffering when the temp starts to drop which then travels up my calves affecting the ability of my legs to work properly without the feeling they're gonna cramp up.

I'm never gonna plan on much mid-winter riding but it would be nice to extend my outdoor riding into the autumn & the start of spring.

Could anyone recommend good overshoes & socks which are windproof, or even to point me in the direction of a quality manufacturer to aim for ?

DanDare said:
I currently use Shimano MTB type shoes ie, they have a gripped sole. My feet/toes are the first thing to start suffering when the temp starts to drop which then travels up my calves affecting the ability of my legs to work properly without the feeling they're gonna cramp up.

I'm never gonna plan on much mid-winter riding but it would be nice to extend my outdoor riding into the autumn & the start of spring.

Could anyone recommend good overshoes & socks which are windproof, or even to point me in the direction of a quality manufacturer to aim for ?
I can't recommend one brand over another -- neoprene is neoprene (I suppose there is an "expedition" weight/thickness, but it will be clearly labeled)-- but, you MAY want to consider that some are side "entry" & others are rear "entry" ... or, you can just buy toe "caps" ...

More importantly, if you opt for mail order (which may be necessary if you have a really large shoe size OR the shops in your area just don't carry booties) instead of buying the booties from a shop, then (because your shoes are lugged) you need to know that you the booties need to be at least one bootie "size" larger than you would use for a ROAD shoe ... perhaps that was stating the obvious (i.e., a bootie for a size 44 ROAD shoe won't fit over a size 44 a MTB shoe (for example)).

I don't know how large bootie sizing goes ... so, if you have a really large shoe size, then your choices may be limited to whichever brands have booties for shoes two Euro sizes larger than the shoes you wear OR you will need to consider buying a pair of ROAD shoes onto which can mount SPD/compatible cleats.