Cant post replies - part 2

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Paul Rose, Aug 15, 2005.

  1. Paul Rose

    Paul Rose Guest

    Hi again, all

    As you might have gathered, I still can't reply to the NG! Thanks for the
    offers of advice so far. I have changed the news server but still nothing.
    I'm beginning to think it might not be the server but a problem with my pc?

    I have added a link to my site showing what appears when I try to reply to
    the ng. It says nothing but someone might recognise what the problem is when
    viewing it!

    Follow the link to my homepage and click on the 'error message' link to

    Regards, Paul (R)
    My Lake District walking site:
    http://www.lakelandwalker.co.uk

    Tags:

  2. druidh

    druidh Guest

    Paul Rose wrote:
    > Hi again, all
    >
    > As you might have gathered, I still can't reply to the NG! Thanks for the
    > offers of advice so far. I have changed the news server but still nothing.
    > I'm beginning to think it might not be the server but a problem with my pc?
    >
    > I have added a link to my site showing what appears when I try to reply to
    > the ng. It says nothing but someone might recognise what the problem is when
    > viewing it!
    >
    > Follow the link to my homepage and click on the 'error message' link to

    Looks like you can't copy a screen dump either :)

    Seriously though - have you thought about trying with another
    Newsreader? Try Mozilla Thunderbird. If it still doesn't work, it's your
    server.

    druidh

  3. On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 18:06:39 GMT, "Paul Rose"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Follow the link to my homepage and click on the 'error message' link to

    LOL!

    Sorry, no idea. You could try downloading Agent from
    http://www.forteinc.com/main/homepage.php there's a free version as
    well as a pay version - I switched to the pay one but I can't remember
    what the feature was I thought worth the money. But if nothing else,
    you'll see if it's an Outlook error or something coming from NTL.

    S.

    --
    Oppose ID cards and the database state - sign the pledge at
    http://www.pledgebank.com/refuse

  4. Fran

    Fran Guest

    [email protected] said...
    > I have added a link to my site showing what appears when I try to reply to
    > the ng. It says nothing but someone might recognise what the problem is when
    > viewing it!
    >
    > Follow the link to my homepage and click on the 'error message' link to

    Bizarre. I've asked in the Shed. They seem to know the answers to most
    things between them... Watch this space.
    --
    To reply see 'from' in headers; lose the domain, and insert dots and @
    where common sense dictates.

  5. On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 19:46:09 +0100, Simon Caldwell
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    | On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 18:06:39 GMT, "Paul Rose"
    | <[email protected]> wrote:
    |

    | >Follow the link to my homepage and click on the 'error message' link to
    |
    | LOL!
    |
    | Sorry, no idea. You could try downloading Agent from
    | http://www.forteinc.com/main/homepage.php there's a free version as
    | well as a pay version - I switched to the pay one but I can't remember
    | what the feature was I thought worth the money. But if nothing else,
    | you'll see if it's an Outlook error or something coming from NTL.

    Agent is now at V3, which I can not vouch for, because I have not
    downloaded it yet. V1.932 and V2 are IMO OK.

    --
    Dave Fawthrop <dave hyphenologist co uk> In Case of Emergency
    Store the word "ICE" in your mobile phone address book, and

  6. Fran

    Fran Guest

    [email protected] said...
    > [email protected] said...
    > > I have added a link to my site showing what appears when I try to reply to
    > > the ng. It says nothing but someone might recognise what the problem is when
    > > viewing it!
    > >
    > > Follow the link to my homepage and click on the 'error message' link to
    > >

    > Bizarre. I've asked in the Shed. They seem to know the answers to most
    > things between them... Watch this space.

    Space.

    From Pedt Scragg (remember him? He used to post here and has half a
    mugshot on the Disappeared One's website.)

    <quote>
    Prolly a damaged .dbx file.....

    Unsubscribe from group.
    File --> Folder --> Compact all folders.
    Subscribe to group.
    </quote>

    HTH
    --
    To reply see 'from' in headers; lose the domain, and insert dots and @
    where common sense dictates.

  7. Bitstring <[email protected]>, from the
    wonderful person Fran <[email protected]> said
    >[email protected] said...
    >> [email protected] said...
    >> > I have added a link to my site showing what appears when I try to reply to
    >> > the ng. It says nothing but someone might recognise what the
    >> >problem is when
    >> > viewing it!
    >> >
    >> > Follow the link to my homepage and click on the 'error message' link to
    >> >

    >> Bizarre. I've asked in the Shed. They seem to know the answers to most
    >> things between them... Watch this space.
    >>

    >Space.
    >
    >From Pedt Scragg (remember him? He used to post here and has half a
    >mugshot on the Disappeared One's website.)
    >
    ><quote>
    >Prolly a damaged .dbx file.....
    >
    >Unsubscribe from group.
    >File --> Folder --> Compact all folders.
    >Subscribe to group.
    ></quote>

    Actually it's just as simple (if you have nothing stored forever that
    you care about) to delete the .dbx file and let OE recreate it. You'll
    find it (and all the others you have viewed in your online life!!)
    (assuming you have 'show system and hidden files' turned on) at:

    "C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Local Settings\Application
    Data\Identities\{long security ID string}\Microsoft\Outlook Express\"

    but getting a decent newsreader (Outhouse Express need not apply) is a
    much better idea.

    --
    GSV Three Minds in a Can

  8. On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 20:08:06 +0100, Dave Fawthrop
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Agent is now at V3, which I can not vouch for, because I have not
    >downloaded it yet. V1.932 and V2 are IMO OK.

    Is it? I stuck with 1.93, didn't bother with the pay-for 'upgrade' to
    V2 which was little more than a few bug fixes. I may investigate V3
    though.

    --
    Oppose ID cards and the database state - sign the pledge at
    http://www.pledgebank.com/refuse

  9. Paul Rose

    Paul Rose Guest

    "Fran" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > [email protected] said...
    > > [email protected] said...
    > > > I have added a link to my site showing what appears when I try to

    reply to
    > > > the ng. It says nothing but someone might recognise what the problem

    is when
    > > > viewing it!
    > > >
    > > > Follow the link to my homepage and click on the 'error message' link

    > > Bizarre. I've asked in the Shed. They seem to know the answers to most
    > > things between them... Watch this space.
    > >

    > Space.
    >
    > From Pedt Scragg (remember him? He used to post here and has half a
    > mugshot on the Disappeared One's website.)
    >
    > <quote>
    > Prolly a damaged .dbx file.....
    >
    > Unsubscribe from group.
    > File --> Folder --> Compact all folders.
    > Subscribe to group.
    > </quote>

    Hi All,

    I think this should make it through (fingers crossed)

    --
    Regards, Paul (R)
    My Lake District walking site:
    http://www.lakelandwalker.co.uk

  10. Paul Rose

    Paul Rose Guest

    "Fran" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > [email protected] said...
    > > [email protected] said...
    > > > I have added a link to my site showing what appears when I try to

    reply to
    > > > the ng. It says nothing but someone might recognise what the problem

    is when
    > > > viewing it!
    > > >
    > > > Follow the link to my homepage and click on the 'error message' link

    > > Bizarre. I've asked in the Shed. They seem to know the answers to most
    > > things between them... Watch this space.
    > >

    > Space.
    >
    > From Pedt Scragg (remember him? He used to post here and has half a
    > mugshot on the Disappeared One's website.)
    >
    > <quote>
    > Prolly a damaged .dbx file.....
    >
    > Unsubscribe from group.
    > File --> Folder --> Compact all folders.
    > Subscribe to group.
    > </quote>

    Hi All

    Looks as though I'm up and running again! Tried your suggestion Fran but no
    luck I'm afraid. I decided to try a system restore, most of which didn't
    make any difference, but eventually one of them did! It seems to be working
    ok now. Thanks everyone for your suggestions. Much appreciated.

    --
    Regards, Paul (R)
    My Lake District walking site:
    http://www.lakelandwalker.co.uk

  11. Peewiglet

    Peewiglet Guest

    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Hi again, all
    >
    >As you might have gathered, I still can't reply to the NG! Thanks for the
    >offers of advice so far. I have changed the news server but still nothing.
    >I'm beginning to think it might not be the server but a problem with my pc?

    Hi Paul,

    Sorry to hear about the problems. Have you tried a new newsreader? You
    can d/load Free Agent from www.forteinc.com.

    >I have added a link to my site showing what appears when I try to reply to
    >the ng. It says nothing but someone might recognise what the problem is when
    >viewing it!
    >
    >Follow the link to my homepage and click on the 'error message' link to

    Weird... Try another newsreader :)

    Best wishes,
    --
    ,,
    (**)PeeWiglet~~

    "If you teach a child to read, he or her can pass a literacy test."
    g.w.AT [guessthisbit].com

  12. Peewiglet

    Peewiglet Guest

    On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 22:46:35 +0100, Simon Caldwell
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 20:08:06 +0100, Dave Fawthrop
    ><[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    >>Agent is now at V3, which I can not vouch for, because I have not
    >>downloaded it yet. V1.932 and V2 are IMO OK.

    >Is it? I stuck with 1.93, didn't bother with the pay-for 'upgrade' to
    >V2 which was little more than a few bug fixes. I may investigate V3
    >though.

    I'm using it, and quite like it so far. If you try it out, though, I'd
    suggest you evaluate it first as a clean install to a new directory,
    rather than an upgrade: some people on the Agent NG don't seem to like
    it very much :)

    Best wishes,
    --
    ,,
    (**)PeeWiglet~~
    / \ / \ pee AT [guessthisbit].co.uk

    "If you teach a child to read, he or her can pass a literacy test."
    g.w.AT [guessthisbit].com

  13. Paul Rose

    Paul Rose Guest

    "Peewiglet" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 18:06:39 GMT, "Paul Rose"
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >Hi again, all
    > >
    > >As you might have gathered, I still can't reply to the NG! Thanks for the
    > >offers of advice so far. I have changed the news server but still

    nothing.
    > >I'm beginning to think it might not be the server but a problem with my

    pc?

    > Hi Paul,
    >
    > Sorry to hear about the problems. Have you tried a new newsreader? You
    > can d/load Free Agent from www.forteinc.com.
    > >
    > >I have added a link to my site showing what appears when I try to reply

    > >the ng. It says nothing but someone might recognise what the problem is

    when
    > >viewing it!
    > >
    > >Follow the link to my homepage and click on the 'error message' link to

    > Weird... Try another newsreader :)
    >
    > Best wishes,

    Hi Peewiglet :eek:)

    Thanks for the info and link. A couple of newsreaders have been suggested
    and I will be having a closer look at the all.

    --
    Regards, Paul (R)
    My Lake District walking site:
    http://www.lakelandwalker.co.uk

  14. Fran

    Fran Guest

    [email protected] said...
    > Hi All,
    >
    > I think this should make it through (fingers crossed)

    Yay! Welcome back :)