Cape Town suggestions?

elyob

Guest
Hi,

I'm off to Cape Town in the next month and am wondering about cycling in the
area. I'm stuck as to whether take my road bike [1], to take my mountain
bike [2] or to forget taking one and just hire one and get a guided tour[3]?

[1] not overly keen, and can't be bothered to do that sort of cycling?
[2] which is quite heavy and the forks aren't that springy. Built up to be a
London bike.
[3] http://www.downhilladventures.com/cycling.php, I think this is the
favourite as British Airways count the bike as part of my standard
allowance. [4] [5]
[4] Hopefully their bikes are newer than my 6 year old Kona.
[5] Are SA "back to front" on the brakes? Will I launch myself over the
handlebars?

"elyob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi,
>
> I'm off to Cape Town in the next month and am wondering about cycling in
> the area. I'm stuck as to whether take my road bike [1], to take my
> mountain bike [2] or to forget taking one and just hire one and get a
> guided tour[3]?
>

> [1] not overly keen, and can't be bothered to do that sort of cycling?
> [2] which is quite heavy and the forks aren't that springy. Built up to be
> a London bike.
> [3] http://www.downhilladventures.com/cycling.php, I think this is the
> favourite as British Airways count the bike as part of my standard
> allowance. [4] [5]
> [4] Hopefully their bikes are newer than my 6 year old Kona.
> [5] Are SA "back to front" on the brakes? Will I launch myself over the
> handlebars?

My personal impression is that airlines are getting tighter on charging
either excess baggage or separately for bikes. I never used to get charged
(or even weighed) for a bike, but the last few years, things are a bit
tighter.

I've still only been charged once (by KLM) (from maybe 10 long haul return
flights)

If you don't know whether to take a road bike or an MTB, I would take
neither and hire both - and have twice the fun.

A quick look at BAs website - their excess baggage - if they charge - is
horrendous.

KLM used to charge 80 Euros each way for a bike weighing up to 25kg (or
something)

Some airlines give you extra baggage if you join their frequent flier
programme (even if you have not already flown with them). Worked for me with
Gulfair.

Peter

"elyob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi,
>
> I'm off to Cape Town in the next month and am wondering about cycling in

the
> area. I'm stuck as to whether take my road bike [1], to take my mountain
> bike [2] or to forget taking one and just hire one and get a guided

tour[3]?

> [1] not overly keen, and can't be bothered to do that sort of cycling?
> [2] which is quite heavy and the forks aren't that springy. Built up to be

> London bike.
> [3] http://www.downhilladventures.com/cycling.php, I think this is the
> favourite as British Airways count the bike as part of my standard
> allowance. [4] [5]
> [4] Hopefully their bikes are newer than my 6 year old Kona.
> [5] Are SA "back to front" on the brakes? Will I launch myself over the
> handlebars?

I was there in November with Exodus. We were basically riding on roads, but
on mountain bikes. A couple of things:

The roads are well paved but the South Africans don't do back roads. At
all. And the drivers really don't get cyclists at all... way too many that
go too fast and too close. I'd think that you'd have far more fun off road.
We didn't do any but the tour leader would occasionally point at a nearby
ridge and say that there was a good ride up there.

It's also quite a big place. If you want to get in as many good rides as
possible then I'd go with the tour company who can show you where and stick
you in a van to get you there.

It's very very very windy.

Not sure how good any hire bikes are going to be. Ours were ****. Depends
on the company I'd guess. But the brakes were the right way round.

Cape Town itself isn't really much of a place. You'll only need a couple of
days there to see all that's worth seeing. First thing to do when you get
there is to ask whether table mountain is open - if it is, then go. The
weather tends to shut down the cable car quite frequently, even if the
weather at the bottom in the city itself seems fine.

Another thing that's definitely worth doing if you get the chance is to
visit some baboons (http://www.baboonmatters.org.za/index.html). The look
on the tour leader's face when his mobile went off and the baboon slapped
him on the **** was incredible. Up close and personal.

Hermanus, down the coast a bit so not sure if it's going to be doable for
you, is also worth a day or two. Main whale watching place.

(elyob) wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm off to Cape Town in the next month and am wondering about cycling
> in the area. I'm stuck as to whether take my road bike [1], to take
> my mountain bike [2] or to forget taking one and just hire one and
> get a guided tour[3]?

Hire a bike once you are there and have had a chance to survey the
scene. Most Cape Town drivers make no concessions to cyclists, or indeed
to other motorists; the town is built around a chain of mountains; and,
you'll be able to hire a bike relatively cheaply (compared with UK
prices) from someone with local knowledge.

"Just Visiting" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "elyob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm off to Cape Town in the next month and am wondering about cycling in

> the
>> area. I'm stuck as to whether take my road bike [1], to take my mountain
>> bike [2] or to forget taking one and just hire one and get a guided

> tour[3]?
>>

>> [1] not overly keen, and can't be bothered to do that sort of cycling?
>> [2] which is quite heavy and the forks aren't that springy. Built up to
>> be

>> London bike.
>> [3] http://www.downhilladventures.com/cycling.php, I think this is the
>> favourite as British Airways count the bike as part of my standard
>> allowance. [4] [5]
>> [4] Hopefully their bikes are newer than my 6 year old Kona.
>> [5] Are SA "back to front" on the brakes? Will I launch myself over the
>> handlebars?
>>

> I was there in November with Exodus. We were basically riding on roads,
> but
> on mountain bikes. A couple of things:
>
> The roads are well paved but the South Africans don't do back roads. At
> all. And the drivers really don't get cyclists at all... way too many
> that
> go too fast and too close. I'd think that you'd have far more fun off
> road.
> We didn't do any but the tour leader would occasionally point at a nearby
> ridge and say that there was a good ride up there.
>
> It's also quite a big place. If you want to get in as many good rides as
> possible then I'd go with the tour company who can show you where and
> stick
> you in a van to get you there.
>
> It's very very very windy.
>
> Not sure how good any hire bikes are going to be. Ours were ****.
> Depends
> on the company I'd guess. But the brakes were the right way round.
>
> Cape Town itself isn't really much of a place. You'll only need a couple
> of
> days there to see all that's worth seeing. First thing to do when you get
> there is to ask whether table mountain is open - if it is, then go. The
> weather tends to shut down the cable car quite frequently, even if the
> weather at the bottom in the city itself seems fine.
>
> Another thing that's definitely worth doing if you get the chance is to
> visit some baboons (http://www.baboonmatters.org.za/index.html). The look
> on the tour leader's face when his mobile went off and the baboon slapped
> him on the **** was incredible. Up close and personal.
>
> Hermanus, down the coast a bit so not sure if it's going to be doable for
> you, is also worth a day or two. Main whale watching place.

Thanks ... I'm going to be in Hermanus for the first week and then to
Erinvale for the second week. It's not overly expensive to hire and bike and
to be guided. Downhilladventures seem to be listed everywhere so hopefully
are pretty okay bikes. Not sure what's in and around Hermanus, but the local
your site says "cycle rides". http://www.hermanus.co.za/info/

So, leave the bikes behind and hire when I'm out there. I'm doing plenty
more than cycling, so bringing one would just make the travelling hassle.

Spent 18 months in Cape Town late sixties. Worked in a huge printing
works where I was the one and only white guy that rode a bike to work
(these were apartheid days).

A good ride is the one the Cape Argus bike ride uses around the
peninsula - about 62 miles I think. The later part is very hilly but
has absolutely stunning scenery.

Downtown Cape Town is not very big - you can see it all in a day. The
waterfront is worth a visit, loads of eateries and shops, also boats
to Robben Island. Have a jar in my favourite hotel, its still there,
the Metropole in Long Street, old Cape Town at its best.

The Spurs chain of steakhouses are good value - they are all over SA.

Have a great trip.