carbon crash

Mitch Pickens

May 7, 2007
Hope I'm in the rsight forum.
recently had a bad crash on a Trek Pilot 5-0. passed outs while doing about 25mph . The resulting crash must have been somthing to see. So now,one week later and just out of Hospitsl, a pacemaker, 48 stitches and other assorted injuries I'm wondering if there is anything special I should do before repairing and riding again as far as the carbon fiber is concerned. I can not see any damage but the right break/shifter & hood are destroyed, front wheel is bent and the frint tire must have gotten side ways as a chunk is gone and of course blown. Also should I remove the stem and handle bars? Here in Roswell NM no bike shop. Should I ship the bike frame to Trek?
Any suggestions would be appreciated, Don't think I want to repeat the preformance. Thanks in advance

Look over that frame very carefully. I crashed a carbon frame 2 weeks ago in a crit and thought all was cool and kept riding it. A week later I noticed a 2 inch long crack in my top tube that had developed since the initial inspection.

Hope you heal fast fast!

Mitch Pickens said:
recently had a bad crash on a Trek Pilot 5-0. passed outs while doing about 25mph . The resulting crash must have been somthing to see. So now,one week later and just out of Hospitsl, a pacemaker, 48 stitches and other assorted injuries I'm wondering if there is anything special I should do before repairing and riding again as far as the carbon fiber is concerned. I can not see any damage but the right break/shifter & hood are destroyed, front wheel is bent and the frint tire must have gotten side ways as a chunk is gone and of course blown. Also should I remove the stem and handle bars? Here in Roswell NM no bike shop. Should I ship the bike frame to Trek?
Any suggestions would be appreciated, Don't think I want to repeat the preformance. Thanks in advance
At a minimum, I would contact Trek and see what they advise. I bet they tell you not to ride the bike until after it has been inspected. Don't forget to buy a new helmet.

Mitch Pickens said:
WOW!?!

Although the front wheel & handlebar took the brunt of the concussion, I'd say there is a high probability that your frame's headtube has been damaged from the crash. Minimally, the fork was damaged.

FWIW. I concur that you should not ride the bike/frame without a serious inspection ...

Calfee repairs carbon fiber, but the cost is probably close to that of a new frame (unless you've got a really, REALLY EXPENSIVE carbon fiber frame).

If you send the bike back to TREK, ask them what they want to see. Remove almost everything from the frame (but, include it in the carton) unless they tell you to send it as-is ... using FedEx GROUND to ship the frame without the fork/etc. attached to Wisconsin should be under $30 ... the cost will be higher if the volume of the package is greater.

Agree with contacting Trek first. Usually they will recommend sending the bike back to them for a full inspection and have them do any possible repairs/replacement. Last thing you want right now is for the frame or fork to fail unexpectantly at speed sending you back to the hospital.

Sci-Fi said:
Agree with contacting Trek first. Usually they will recommend sending the bike back to them for a full inspection and have them do any possible repairs/replacement. Last thing you want right now is for the frame or fork to fail unexpectantly at speed sending you back to the hospital.

Thanks to all for input. The bike is going back to Trek. Your are 100% right I do not need a repeat!!!! Suppose I'll be faster with my new electronic ignition?????
Probably going to ride like a big chicken for awhile!
Thanks again

avmanansala said:
At a minimum, I would contact Trek and see what they advise. I bet they tell you not to ride the bike until after it has been inspected. Don't forget to buy a new helmet.

Yep that is what they said. bike leaves today. Old brain bucket is history but with my gratefull appreciation for probably saving my life.

alfeng said:
WOW!?!

Although the front wheel & handlebar took the brunt of the concussion, I'd say there is a high probability that your frame's headtube has been damaged from the crash. Minimally, the fork was damaged.

FWIW. I concur that you should not ride the bike/frame without a serious inspection ...

Calfee repairs carbon fiber, but the cost is probably close to that of a new frame (unless you've got a really, REALLY EXPENSIVE carbon fiber frame).

If you send the bike back to TREK, ask them what they want to see. Remove almost everything from the frame (but, include it in the carton) unless they tell you to send it as-is ... using FedEx GROUND to ship the frame without the fork/etc. attached to Wisconsin should be under $30 ... the cost will be higher if the volume of the package is greater.
Bike goes back today sans all except handlebars and seat stem. Trek said NO WAY YOU RIDE IT. Local inspection showed no cracks but-----. I'll be aprehensive enough on a Trek inspection without it I probably would not have guts enough to get back on. Thanks for the suggestions Going to miss a couple of races but beats the alternative
Mitch