Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

carbon fork pops on bumps

Started by apj31 · · Last activity · 6 posts · 1,030 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
26 May 2004
Last activity
28 May 2004
Original author
apj31
Posts
6
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,030
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–6 of 6
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I just got my first road bike about a week ago. It has a carbon fork and whenever I hit a bump in the road when I'm going fairly fast (>20mph) there is a loud dull pop. My guess would be that the fork crown is hitting the bottom portion of the headset but I'm not sure. Is this normal and has anyone else experienced this? If so, is there anything that can be done?

    thanks.

  2. No it is not normal. Get your headset adjusted.

  3. It may also be wearing the [censored] out of your headset! I'd stop riding it until it's fixed.

  4. It could be your headset. Check out park tool's website http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/howfix_headthreadless.shtml
    At the bottom of the adjustment section try out the method of applying the front brake and rocking the bike forward. If the headset is loose there will be a slight knock. You can also try leaning the bike to the side. Fork flex is different. Carbon forks will have a little flex and if you have a lot of spacers above the headset the steerer tube may flex a little, especially if the steerer tube is also carbon.

    I had a clacking sound coming from my front end over bumps and at high speeds it sounded like cracking! It turned out to be in the shifters. They would open and snap closed over bumps. I treated this by applying moleskin between the top of the lever and the shifter housing. Some people also report rattling between the two shift levers on shimano shifters.

    The sound could also be coming from the handlebar clamp. There's a lot of torque applied in the area and it can easily creak. Make sure your front skewer is tight enough, too. Shifter cables can also rattle against each other and the little donuts on the rear brake cable can rattle against your top tube, making various sounds depending on your frame material.

    Good luck.

  5. Quoted post said:

    Originally posted by ewitz
    No it is not normal. Get your headset adjusted.

    I pulled the fork off and looked everything over and I made sure the headset was plenty tight when reinstalling and that made a big difference. I still got the sound when I hit a bump at 35+ mph but it wasn't nearly as loud. I'll just try to avoid that spot in the future.

    thanks.

  6. Quoted post said:

    Originally posted by apj31
    I pulled the fork off and looked everything over and I made sure the headset was plenty tight when reinstalling and that made a big difference. I still got the sound when I hit a bump at 35+ mph but it wasn't nearly as loud. I'll just try to avoid that spot in the future.

    thanks.

    Just as a side issue what wheels are you using ? , had a friend with a noise at the front end that turned out to be his Mavic Kysrems , ali frames will resonate and give you the impression that a noise is one place when it´s actually elseware . ( drove him crazy , what with him owning a bike shop and all )😄

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.