Carbon frame integrity after accident

turbo6bar

Oct 21, 2003
Hello, I joined this forum a few days ago. Looks like a great resource.

I had an accident with an automobile while riding my Trek 2300. The auto made a left turn in front of me, and I did not see him until it was too late. I braked briefly before colliding with the passenger side rear quarter panel, and I was thrown across the trunk and landed on the pavement hard with my right shoulder and head. I'm still nursing a sore shoulder, and it has been a really tough 2 weeks.

The driver was very apologetic, and I think he and his insurance company will make things right <fingers crossed>. I do have a police report, a trip to the hospital and another physician to document the events.

Anyway, I'm stressing over my bicycle. The Trek 2300 (built ~1995) has 3 main tubes of carbon fiber bonded with aluminum lugs. It was readily apparent the fork and front wheel sustained damage. 2 shops have inspected the bike. One shop states there is the possibility of internal damage to the carbon tubes and/or the area where the tubes are bonded to the lugs. Another shop states the fork can be straightened and the Trek will live again.

I searched Google and saw mention of carbon frames not displaying damage, as opposed to metal frames. I really trust the second shop. They were the most professional and are highly regarded. However, I don't want to risk my neck down the road, IF there was a problem with integrity. I envision sprinting up a hill, and the next moment I'm eating asphalt. Maybe I am just paranoid. I really like the bike, but I don't want to make a mistake I'll regret later.

Am I blowing smoke? Is the first shop trying to sell me a new bike? I just wanna ride again. This is my first year back in cycling. I pounded out 2800 miles in less than 6 months, and I am so disappointed about not being able to ride. The possibility of getting a new bike does not make up for the fact I've been out of commission. I can't count the number of times I wished this had never happened.

Regards,
Jürgen