Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Carbon Frame Repair - How?

Started by Russ Reynolds · · Last activity · 6 posts · 1,677 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
17 April 2007
Last activity
17 April 2007
Original author
Russ Reynolds
Posts
6
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,677
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–6 of 6
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Working on the bike last night I chipped clearcoat on my Carbon frame. At least I'm convincing myself that's all I did. It's just a chip......no stress crack. It's only small, about the size of a nail head but it's rough, raised and needs to be smoothed or picked off and filled with something. What do I fill it with? I'm thinking 'Areldite' ?

  2. Well Araldite is a two-part epoxy, so I guess it would work, but it will go yellow under UV exposure. You need to take it to someone who knows carbon fibre (and that isn't a bike shop). How exactly did you do this? If it's obviously a clearcoat chip, no problemo, but if you've punctured and damaged the carbon fibre, then that is a little more of a concern. Although one could argue that such a small defect may not be significant in the greater scheme of things.

    Aren't Sydney Yachts manufactured down your way .... Nowra, or something? Give them a call, I think there's a guy who does CF masts and rudder stocks down there as well - he could tell at a glance what you've done.

  3. Nail polish seemed to be the common recommendation. Personally I highly recommend Chanel Reflet de Laque high gloss top coat. 😉

    [IMG]um.chanel.comMANPR120LG.jpg[/IMG]

    http://uma.chanel.com/product.php?chnprd=MANPR120

  4. Thanks for the advice. Even though the advice is from someone who really knows their nail polish, and another who is a Bombers supporter. Just joking. You probably heard me last night when I did it. I dunno what the highest stressed zone is on a bike frame but I would guess I hit it right dead centre.

    Thanks again, Go the Swans. ( think I just opened up a can of worms )

  5. Nail polish, or touch up automotive clear coat lacquer from your local car dealer.

    [img]users.bigpond.net.auclear.jpg[/img]

  6. Russ Reynolds said:

    Working on the bike last night I chipped clearcoat on my Carbon frame. At least I'm convincing myself that's all I did. It's just a chip......no stress crack. It's only small, about the size of a nail head but it's rough, raised and needs to be smoothed or picked off and filled with something. What do I fill it with? I'm thinking 'Areldite' ?

    Functionally, you can just ignore it. If it is just a clearcoat chip then there will be no problem. If aesthetics matter to you, then try the nail polish/lacquer suggestions.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.