Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

carbon seatpost slipping

Started by Mike Krueger · · Last activity · 6 posts · 577 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
29 April 2006
Last activity
29 April 2006
Original author
Mike Krueger
Posts
6
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
577
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–6 of 6
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I have an older Lightspeed Classic with the traditional seatpost binder
    bolt ears welded onto the top of the seattube. When I installed my
    Easton EC70 carbon seatpost for the first time (dry), the fit was
    properly snug. When I pulled it out to pack my bike for shipment, some
    of the resin clearcoat was shaved off evenly around the circumference
    of the shaft. There was fine white powder all over it. Yet, the inside
    ot the seattube feels smooth with no burrs. Now the post is loose in
    the seattube, and slips down when ridden unless I overtighten the
    binder bolt. I have already ordered an aluminum seatpost to replace it,
    but I was wondering if this problem has happened to anyone else.

  2. On 29 Apr 2006 09:02:26 -0700, "Mike Krueger" <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    I have an older Lightspeed Classic with the traditional seatpost binder
    bolt ears welded onto the top of the seattube. When I installed my
    Easton EC70 carbon seatpost for the first time (dry), the fit was
    properly snug. When I pulled it out to pack my bike for shipment, some
    of the resin clearcoat was shaved off evenly around the circumference
    of the shaft. There was fine white powder all over it. Yet, the inside
    ot the seattube feels smooth with no burrs. Now the post is loose in
    the seattube, and slips down when ridden unless I overtighten the
    binder bolt. I have already ordered an aluminum seatpost to replace it,
    but I was wondering if this problem has happened to anyone else.

    I'm guessing it's happened to lots of people, but--in either event--it
    surely happens to me ... with my EC90 post and my Moots frame.

    They're perfectly clean and dry, and appropriately torqued, but--sure
    enough--they still slip. I haven't bothered with the light sanding or
    the Aqua-Net hairspray yet. I'm probably more likely to call myself a
    sucker for having bought it in them (I have two) in the first place
    and go get a Thomson or ... if possible ... dig up a Campy Ti post.

    I ain't that worried about a few grams. I don't believe they "ride"
    that much better. I DO get tired of feeling as though I'm sinking ...
    or growing ... toward the latter part of a ride.

    PS: mail the white powder to a branch of the federal government. It's
    really cool [KIDDING!]

  3. Mike Krueger said:

    I have an older Lightspeed Classic with the traditional seatpost binder
    bolt ears welded onto the top of the seattube. When I installed my
    Easton EC70 carbon seatpost for the first time (dry), the fit was
    properly snug. When I pulled it out to pack my bike for shipment, some
    of the resin clearcoat was shaved off evenly around the circumference
    of the shaft. There was fine white powder all over it. Yet, the inside
    ot the seattube feels smooth with no burrs. Now the post is loose in
    the seattube, and slips down when ridden unless I overtighten the
    binder bolt. I have already ordered an aluminum seatpost to replace it,
    but I was wondering if this problem has happened to anyone else.


    There is a paste for mounting carbon seatposts. It helps to greatly reduce
    the needed torque: it's called "Dynamic" paste:

    http://www.bikeshop-cooperation.de/bokhoven/3xios/index1.php

    Maybe that will do the job?

    Greets, Derk

  4. Ooops:

    http://www.bokhoven.de

    Search for "montagepaste"

    Gr, Derk

  5. Derk said:

    Ooops:

    http://www.bokhoven.de

    Search for "montagepaste"

    Gr, Derk

    Thanks for the link. Do you have any experience with Dynamic
    Montagepaste on carbon seat posts?

  6. Quoted message said:

    Thanks for the link. Do you have any experience with Dynamic
    Montagepaste on carbon seat posts?


    Yes, the paste consists of micro-particles that indeed make it easier to
    clamp the seatpost with lesser torque. In TOUR magazine the paste was
    tested and highly recommended by some expert (with a degree in mechanical
    engineering) who writes a monthly article about bike repair.

    Here you can order it too:

    http://www.bike-discount.de/www/navfram.asp?uin=1942649359&nav=Mehrinfo&ArtikelID=9794&Kategorie2=76

    Gr, Derk

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.