Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Carbon Wheelset Safe to Ride?

Started by Kevin · · Last activity · 8 posts · 565 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
12 October 2007
Last activity
14 October 2007
Original author
Kevin
Posts
8
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
565
Views / 30 days
9

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–8 of 8
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I recently purchased a used set of Mavic Carbonne wheels, and there is a
    small (~1/4"😉 crack in the carbon right by one of the spokes on the front
    wheel. Is this wheelset safe to ride on? It still feels plenty strong, but
    I am a little uneasy because of the crack.

    Here's a photo (if it's up yet):
    http://bayimg.com/aAHaaAaBJ

    Thanks,
    Kevin

  2. The photo link doesn't seem to be working. Try this:
    http://picasaweb.google.com/Kevin.GT/NewWheels/photo#5120516217781767618

    Kevin

    "Kevin" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I recently purchased a used set of Mavic Carbonne wheels, and there is a
    small (~1/4"😉 crack in the carbon right by one of the spokes on the front
    wheel. Is this wheelset safe to ride on? It still feels plenty strong,
    but I am a little uneasy because of the crack.

    Here's a photo (if it's up yet):
    http://bayimg.com/aAHaaAaBJ

    Thanks,
    Kevin

  3. Kevin said:

    The photo link doesn't seem to be working. Try this:http://picasaweb.google.com/Kevin.GT/NewWheels/photo#5120516217781767618

    Kevin

    "Kevin" <[email hidden]> wrote in message

    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I recently purchased a used set of Mavic Carbonne wheels, and there is a
    small (~1/4"😉 crack in the carbon right by one of the spokes on the front
    wheel. Is this wheelset safe to ride on? It still feels plenty strong,
    but I am a little uneasy because of the crack.

    Quoted message said:

    Here's a photo (if it's up yet):
    http://bayimg.com/aAHaaAaBJ

    Quoted message said:

    Thanks,
    Kevin

    The carbon on this wheel is a fairing only, adds no structural
    integrity to the wheel at all..so ride with confidence.

  4. Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    "Kevin" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:

    I recently purchased a used set of Mavic Carbonne wheels, and there is a
    small (~1/4"😉 crack in the carbon right by one of the spokes on the front
    wheel. Is this wheelset safe to ride on? It still feels plenty strong,
    but I am a little uneasy because of the crack.
    Here's a photo (if it's up yet):
    http://bayimg.com/aAHaaAaBJ


    The photo link doesn't seem to be working. Try this:http://picasaweb.google.com/Kevin.GT/NewWheels/photo#5120516217781767618

    Qui si parla Campagnolo-www.vecchios.com said:

    The carbon on this wheel is a fairing only, adds no structural
    integrity to the wheel at all..so ride with confidence.

    "Mine goes to eleven!"
    --
    Andrew Muzi
    www.yellowjersey.org
    Open every day since 1 April, 1971

  5. A Muzi said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    "Kevin" <[email hidden]> wrote
    > I recently purchased a used set of Mavic Carbonne wheels, and there is a
    > small (~1/4"😉 crack in the carbon right by one of the spokes on the front
    > wheel. Is this wheelset safe to ride on? It still feels plenty strong,
    > but I am a little uneasy because of the crack.
    > Here's a photo (if it's up yet):
    >http://bayimg.com/aAHaaAaBJ
    The photo link doesn't seem to be working. Try this:http://picasaweb.google.com/Kevin.GT/NewWheels/photo#5120516217781767618

    Qui si parla Campagnolo-www.vecchios.comwrote:

    Quoted message said:

    The carbon on this wheel is a fairing only, adds no structural
    integrity to the wheel at all..so ride with confidence.

    "Mine goes to eleven!"

    My cucumber is wrapped in foil!

  6. landotter said:
    A Muzi said:
    Quoted message said:

    > "Kevin" <[email hidden]> wrote
    >> I recently purchased a used set of Mavic Carbonne wheels, and there is a
    >> small (~1/4"😉 crack in the carbon right by one of the spokes on the front
    >> wheel. Is this wheelset safe to ride on? It still feels plenty strong,
    >> but I am a little uneasy because of the crack.
    >> Here's a photo (if it's up yet):
    >>http://bayimg.com/aAHaaAaBJ
    > The photo link doesn't seem to be working. Try this:http://picasaweb.google.com/Kevin.GT/NewWheels/photo#5120516217781767618

    Quoted message said:

    Qui si parla Campagnolo-www.vecchios.comwrote:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    The carbon on this wheel is a fairing only, adds no structural
    integrity to the wheel at all..so ride with confidence.

    Quoted message said:

    "Mine goes to eleven!"

    My cucumber is wrapped in foil!

    Is that a big hit with the ladies? ;-)

  7. Quoted message said:

    The carbon on this wheel is a fairing only, adds no structural
    integrity to the wheel at all..so ride with confidence.

    Am I mistaken or wasn't there a time when UCI rules didn't allow
    non-structural aerodynamic bits & pieces on bikes & parts? Clearly that's
    not the case today, and perhaps I'm not remembering correctly.

    --Mike Jacoubowsky
    Chain Reaction Bicycles
    www.ChainReaction.com
    Redwood City & Los Altos, CA USA

    "Qui si parla Campagnolo-www.vecchios.com" <[email hidden]> wrote in
    message news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Kevin said:

    The photo link doesn't seem to be working. Try
    this:http://picasaweb.google.com/Kevin.GT/NewWheels/photo#5120516217781767618

    Kevin

    "Kevin" <[email hidden]> wrote in message

    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I recently purchased a used set of Mavic Carbonne wheels, and there is a
    small (~1/4"😉 crack in the carbon right by one of the spokes on the
    front
    wheel. Is this wheelset safe to ride on? It still feels plenty strong,
    but I am a little uneasy because of the crack.

    Quoted message said:

    Here's a photo (if it's up yet):
    http://bayimg.com/aAHaaAaBJ

    Quoted message said:

    Thanks,
    Kevin

    The carbon on this wheel is a fairing only, adds no structural
    integrity to the wheel at all..so ride with confidence.

  8. Thanks for the input everyone.

    Kevin

    "Ozark Bicycle" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    landotter said:
    A Muzi said:

    >> "Kevin" <[email hidden]> wrote
    >>> I recently purchased a used set of Mavic Carbonne wheels, and there
    >>> is a
    >>> small (~1/4"😉 crack in the carbon right by one of the spokes on the
    >>> front
    >>> wheel. Is this wheelset safe to ride on? It still feels plenty
    >>> strong,
    >>> but I am a little uneasy because of the crack.
    >>> Here's a photo (if it's up yet):
    >>>http://bayimg.com/aAHaaAaBJ
    >> The photo link doesn't seem to be working. Try
    >> this:http://picasaweb.google.com/Kevin.GT/NewWheels/photo#5120516217781767618

    Quoted message said:

    Qui si parla Campagnolo-www.vecchios.comwrote:

    Quoted message said:

    > The carbon on this wheel is a fairing only, adds no structural
    > integrity to the wheel at all..so ride with confidence.

    Quoted message said:

    "Mine goes to eleven!"

    My cucumber is wrapped in foil!

    Is that a big hit with the ladies? ;-)

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.