General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Care of Knives?

Started by Niall Smyth · · Last activity · 20 posts · 1,116 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
17 December 2003
Last activity
20 December 2003
Original author
Niall Smyth
Posts
20
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,116
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 20
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Hi all

    I have steel knives ( who doesnt)

    I try to wash them by hand when I can but the wife keeps putting them in the dishwasher where they
    dont dry properly and get rust spots

    Can they be oiled? , If I use steel wool will it just get worse?

    Cheers

    Niall

    ---
    Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free. Checked by AVG anti-virus system (grisoft.comgrisoft.com).
    Version: 6.0.551 / Virus Database: 343 - Release Date: 11/12/2003

  2. "Niall Smyth" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Hi all

    I have steel knives ( who doesnt)

    I try to wash them by hand when I can but the wife keeps putting them in the dishwasher where they
    dont dry properly and get rust spots

    Can they be oiled? , If I use steel wool will it just get worse?

    Cheers

    Niall

    I use wire wool and oil on my knives and then give them a good sharpen and


    they are fine.

    Quoted message said:

    ---
    Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free. Checked by AVG anti-virus system (grisoft.comgrisoft.com).
    Version: 6.0.551 / Virus Database: 343 - Release Date: 11/12/2003

  3. "Niall Smyth" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Hi all

    I have steel knives ( who doesnt)

    I try to wash them by hand when I can but the wife keeps putting them in the dishwasher where they
    dont dry properly and get rust spots

    Can they be oiled? , If I use steel wool will it just get worse?

    Yes they can be oiled. You might try vinnegar or lemon juice on a rag to try and remove some of the
    rust. Check out the NG rec.knives for more specific knife care issues.

    I tend to just wash them by hand myself. Luckily no dishwashing mashine. ;-)

  4. Chris said:

    "Niall Smyth" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Hi all

    I have steel knives ( who doesnt)

    I try to wash them by hand when I can but the wife keeps putting them in the dishwasher where they
    dont dry properly and get rust spots

    Can they be oiled? , If I use steel wool will it just get worse?

    Yes they can be oiled. You might try vinnegar or lemon juice on a rag to try and remove some of
    the rust. Check out the NG rec.knives for more specific knife care issues.

    I tend to just wash them by hand myself. Luckily no dishwashing mashine. ;-)


    Good advice from Chris. And what part of "the good knives do *not* go into the dishwasher" does your
    wife not understand?? Not like it's brain surgery.

  5. Steve Calvin <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:
    Chris said:

    "Niall Smyth" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Hi all

    I have steel knives ( who doesnt)

    I try to wash them by hand when I can but the wife keeps putting them in the dishwasher where
    they dont dry properly and get rust spots

    Can they be oiled? , If I use steel wool will it just get worse?

    Yes they can be oiled. You might try vinnegar or lemon juice on a rag to try and remove some of
    the rust. Check out the NG rec.knives for more specific knife care issues.

    I tend to just wash them by hand myself. Luckily no dishwashing mashine. ;-)


    Good advice from Chris. And what part of "the good knives do *not* go into the dishwasher" does
    your wife not understand?? Not like it's brain surgery.

    Use coke, the drink not the good stuff, on the rust. In my house hold I cook and everyone else does
    dishes. It doesn't matter how many time you tell people not to do something they will. Mine was
    "don't use soap in this pan and don't put wood in to the dishwasher and don't even touch that cast
    iron". I now wash all non soap pans and cast iron and wood and knives. I take no chances.

  6. Steve Calvin <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:
    Chris said:

    "Niall Smyth" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Hi all

    I have steel knives ( who doesnt)

    I try to wash them by hand when I can but the wife keeps putting them in the dishwasher where
    they dont dry properly and get rust spots

    Can they be oiled? , If I use steel wool will it just get worse?

    Yes they can be oiled. You might try vinnegar or lemon juice on a rag to try and remove some of
    the rust. Check out the NG rec.knives for more specific knife care issues.

    I tend to just wash them by hand myself. Luckily no dishwashing mashine. ;-)


    Good advice from Chris. And what part of "the good knives do *not* go into the dishwasher" does
    your wife not understand?? Not like it's brain surgery.

    Use coke, the drink not the good stuff, on the rust. In my house hold I cook and everyone else does
    dishes. It doesn't matter how many time you tell people not to do something they will. Mine was
    "don't use soap in this pan and don't put wood in to the dishwasher and don't even touch that cast
    iron". I now wash all non soap pans and cast iron and wood and knives. I take no chances.

  7. Niall Smyth said:

    I try to wash them by hand when I can but the wife keeps putting them in the dishwasher where they
    dont dry properly and get rust spots

    I wash mine a put them away immediately after using them, so nobody could even be tempted to put
    them in the dishwasher. I mean IMMEDIATELY after use - it takes about ten seconds, and you don't
    even need detergent.

  8. On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 07:05:11 GMT, Lorne Epp <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:
    Niall Smyth said:

    I try to wash them by hand when I can but the wife keeps putting them in the dishwasher where they
    dont dry properly and get rust spots

    I wash mine a put them away immediately after using them, so nobody could even be tempted to put
    them in the dishwasher. I mean IMMEDIATELY after use - it takes about ten seconds, and you don't
    even need detergent.

    Just give them a good wipe with a damp cloth and that is all they need.

  9. Steve Calvin said:


    Good advice from Chris. And what part of "the good knives do *not* go into the dishwasher" does
    your wife not understand?? Not like it's brain surgery.

    Spouses don't understand the concept of "do not."

    Best regards, Bob

  10. Taffy Stoker said:
    Lorne Epp said:
    Niall Smyth said:

    I try to wash them by hand when I can but the wife keeps putting them in the dishwasher where
    they dont dry properly and get rust spots

    I wash mine a put them away immediately after using them, so nobody could even be tempted to put
    them in the dishwasher. I mean IMMEDIATELY after use - it takes about ten seconds, and you don't
    even need detergent.

    Just give them a good wipe with a damp cloth and that is all they need.

    I keep my most-used knives in a wooden block. Before putting my knives into the block, I oiled it
    with mineral oil, even down into the slots for the knives. I wipe with a damp cloth (and even
    scour with a scratchy plastic sponge when necessary), wipe dryish and put into the block. No
    rust, no staining. Touch up the edge with a ceramic "steel" and sharpen on a diamond "steel"
    about once a month.

    Pastorio

  11. Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I try to wash them by hand when I can but the wife keeps putting them in the dishwasher where
    they dont dry properly and get rust spots

    I wash mine a put them away immediately after using them, so nobody could even be tempted to put
    them in the dishwasher. I mean IMMEDIATELY after use - it takes about ten seconds, and you don't
    even need detergent.

    Just give them a good wipe with a damp cloth and that is all they need.

    Try explaining that putting them in a dishwasher allows them to 'bang against' other things in the
    dishwasher. This causes small 'dings' on the knives that would have to be steeled off. It will dull
    the knives. If your knives are not the best quality, it may cause the handles to separate from the
    blade, over time.

    Best bet is to wash them yourself.

  12. zxcvbob said:
    Steve Calvin said:


    Good advice from Chris. And what part of "the good knives do *not* go into the dishwasher" does
    your wife not understand?? Not like it's brain surgery.

    Spouses don't understand the concept of "do not."

    Best regards, Bob


    I musta been lucky and got one of the "good" models. ;-) It only took one time of telling her that
    my good knives under no circumstances went into the dishwasher. That they got washed and dried
    immediately.

  13. "Bob Pastorio" wrote in message "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I keep my most-used knives in a wooden block. Before putting my knives into the block, I oiled it
    with mineral oil, even down into the slots for the knives. I wipe with a damp cloth (and even
    scour with a scratchy plastic sponge when necessary), wipe dryish and put into the block.

    This is at least the second post I've seen in this thread where someone said that they wipe their
    knives with a damp cloth before putting them away. Are you saying you don't wash is with soap and
    hot water or is the wiping in addition to that?

    -Mike

  14. robert said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    >I try to wash them by hand when I can but the wife keeps putting them in the dishwasher where
    >they dont dry properly and get rust spots

    I wash mine a put them away immediately after using them, so nobody could even be tempted to put
    them in the dishwasher. I mean IMMEDIATELY after use - it takes about ten seconds, and you don't
    even need detergent.

    Just give them a good wipe with a damp cloth and that is all they need.

    Try explaining that putting them in a dishwasher allows them to 'bang against' other things in the
    dishwasher. This causes small 'dings' on the knives that would have to be steeled off. It will
    dull the knives. If your knives are not the best quality, it may cause the handles to separate
    from the blade, over time.

    Best bet is to wash them yourself.

    The problem is that sometimes, Spouse will use one of the good knives, stick it in the dishwasher,
    and run it through the Potscrubber™ cycle; all in about 10 minutes when no one else is looking.

    That's one reason I have plastic handles on all but one of my good knives, but I still don't like
    them going in the dishwasher.

    Bob

  15. Mike Pearce said:

    "Bob Pastorio" wrote in message "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I keep my most-used knives in a wooden block. Before putting my knives into the block, I oiled it
    with mineral oil, even down into the slots for the knives. I wipe with a damp cloth (and even
    scour with a scratchy plastic sponge when necessary), wipe dryish and put into the block.

    This is at least the second post I've seen in this thread where someone said that they wipe their
    knives with a damp cloth before putting them away. Are you saying you don't wash it with soap and
    hot water or is the wiping in addition to that?

    I use detergent on a damp cloth or damp sponge. Hot water (125F). Wipe dry. Put into knife block.

    Never put a knife into a sink full of water because you can't see it clearly. Never in a dishwasher.

    Pastorio

  16. Mike Pearce said:


    "Bob Pastorio" wrote in message "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I keep my most-used knives in a wooden block. Before putting my knives into the block, I oiled
    it with mineral oil, even down into the slots for the knives. I wipe with a damp cloth (and even
    scour with a scratchy plastic sponge when necessary), wipe dryish and put into the block.

    This is at least the second post I've seen in this thread where someone said that they wipe their
    knives with a damp cloth before putting them away. Are you saying you don't wash is with soap and
    hot water or is the wiping in addition to that?

    -Mike

    For me, it depends on what I've been cutting... :-)

    If I have just been chopping veggies, then wiping is really sufficient. If I've been cutting meet or
    cheese, I give them a quick wipe with the scrubbie I keep in my hot, soapy sink water. Then I dry
    them and put them away.

    I don't leave knives out either. They are cleaned and immediately put back into the knife drawer. It
    just takes a few seconds!

    K.

    --

    Quoted message said:

    ^,,^< Cats-haven Hobby Farm >^,,^< [email hidden] >^,,^<

    "There are millions of intelligent species in the universe, and they are all owned by
    cats" -- Asimov

    Custom handcrafts, Sterling silver beaded jewelry
    cgi6.ebay.comeBayISAPI.dll

  17. On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 00:27:19 -0600, Katra <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:
    Mike Pearce said:


    "Bob Pastorio" wrote in message "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I keep my most-used knives in a wooden block. Before putting my knives into the block, I oiled
    it with mineral oil, even down into the slots for the knives. I wipe with a damp cloth (and
    even scour with a scratchy plastic sponge when necessary), wipe dryish and put into the block.

    This is at least the second post I've seen in this thread where someone said that they wipe their
    knives with a damp cloth before putting them away. Are you saying you don't wash is with soap and
    hot water or is the wiping in addition to that?

    -Mike

    For me, it depends on what I've been cutting... :-)

    For me it depends on what type of a mood I am in while cooking.

    Immediately after I use my knife I will run it under hot water, wipe it, run it under the hot water
    again and then wipe it dry and put it away.

    If I haven't done that while cooking then it will be the first thing washed in the hot soapy water
    when I handwash a load of dishes (no dishwasher at my house) and immediately dried and put away.

  18. Taffy Stoker said:


    Katra said:
    Mike Pearce said:


    "Bob Pastorio" wrote in message "]news:[email hidden]...

    > I keep my most-used knives in a wooden block. Before putting my knives into the block, I
    > oiled it with mineral oil, even down into the slots for the knives. I wipe with a damp cloth
    > (and even scour with a scratchy plastic sponge when necessary), wipe dryish and put into the
    > block.

    This is at least the second post I've seen in this thread where someone said that they wipe
    their knives with a damp cloth before putting them away. Are you saying you don't wash is with
    soap and hot water or is the wiping in addition to that?

    -Mike

    For me, it depends on what I've been cutting... :-)

    For me it depends on what type of a mood I am in while cooking.

    <grins>

    Quoted message said:


    Immediately after I use my knife I will run it under hot water, wipe it, run it under the hot
    water again and then wipe it dry and put it away.

    If I haven't done that while cooking then it will be the first thing washed in the hot soapy water
    when I handwash a load of dishes (no dishwasher at my house) and immediately dried and put away.

    I have a dishwasher... It's called "me". ;-D

    K.

    --

    Quoted message said:

    ^,,^< Cats-haven Hobby Farm >^,,^< [email hidden] >^,,^<

    "There are millions of intelligent species in the universe, and they are all owned by
    cats" -- Asimov

    Custom handcrafts, Sterling silver beaded jewelry
    cgi6.ebay.comeBayISAPI.dll

  19. On Mon, 15 Dec 2003 09:48:17 -0500, Steve Calvin >>

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:


    Good advice from Chris. And what part of "the good knives do *not* go into the dishwasher" does
    your wife not understand?? Not like it's brain surgery.

    i tried to impress this on my girlfriend. i believe she called me a 'kitchen nazi,' although i'm a
    complete slob in most other respects.

    your pal, blake

  20. On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 08:07:47 -0600, zxcvbob <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:
    Steve Calvin said:


    Good advice from Chris. And what part of "the good knives do *not* go into the dishwasher" does
    your wife not understand?? Not like it's brain surgery.

    Spouses don't understand the concept of "do not."

    Best regards, Bob

    or either they understand it entirely too well.

    your pal, blake

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.