UK and Europe · Public discussion

Carrying an ironed shirt

Started by Chris Bardell · · Last activity · 34 posts · 3,359 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
UK and Europe
Published
6 March 2003
Last activity
10 March 2003
Original author
Chris Bardell
Posts
34
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
3,359
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 34
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Hi all,

    Doesn't sound cycling-related, but for next month or two I'm working at a different site, approx
    45mins walk from home. So, about to start cycle-commuting.

    Corporate environment, so it's shirt&tie etc. Able to store shoes, trousers, tie etc in a suitbag at
    the office. Planning on wearing my cycling gear on the way in & changing when I get there.

    Anyone know a good way of carrying an ironed shirt with me? Can you get shirt boxes or something?
    Have tried a trawl of the net without luck, but wasn't sure exactly what to search on.

    Any experiences or suggns appreciated. Cheap'n'cheerful preferred - totally boracic. Thanks.

    --ChrisB

  2. Chris Bardell scribbled:

    Quoted message said:

    Hi all,

    Doesn't sound cycling-related, but for next month or two I'm working at a different site, approx
    45mins walk from home. So, about to start cycle-commuting.

    Corporate environment, so it's shirt&tie etc. Able to store shoes, trousers, tie etc in a suitbag
    at the office. Planning on wearing my cycling gear on the way in & changing when I get there.

    Anyone know a good way of carrying an ironed shirt with me? Can you get shirt boxes or something?
    Have tried a trawl of the net without luck, but wasn't sure exactly what to search on.

    Any experiences or suggns appreciated. Cheap'n'cheerful preferred - totally boracic. Thanks.

    --ChrisB

    I used to take five identical shirts at the start of the week in a 'normal' suit carrier .. 😉

    --

    My house is FOR SALE ... tinyurl.com69r0

  3. Chris Bardell said:

    Anyone know a good way of carrying an ironed shirt with me?

    - folded in a similar way to how they come in the shops and packed into a flat box / envelope file,
    then hung up in the office for a little while to shake out the creases. Take all five shirts for
    the week on the Monday.

    - other people have reported success with rolling the shirts up, but I tend to find this only works
    with suits.

  4. "Chris Bardell" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Hi all,

    Doesn't sound cycling-related, but for next month or two I'm working at a different site, approx
    45mins walk from home. So, about to start cycle-commuting.

    Corporate environment, so it's shirt&tie etc. Able to store shoes, trousers, tie etc in a suitbag
    at the office. Planning on wearing my cycling gear on the way in & changing when I get there.

    Anyone know a good way of carrying an ironed shirt with me? Can you get shirt boxes or something?
    Have tried a trawl of the net without luck, but wasn't sure exactly what to search on.

    Any experiences or suggns appreciated. Cheap'n'cheerful preferred - totally boracic. Thanks.

    --ChrisB

    I used to carry one in my Brompton bag. It would fit in a slim bit at the back of the back where it
    could keep in shape (sort of). Carefully folded and packed it didn't look too bad after being in the
    bag for an hour.

  5. In article <[email hidden]>, tessier- [email hidden] says...

    Quoted message said:

    Hi all,

    Doesn't sound cycling-related, but for next month or two I'm working at a different site, approx
    45mins walk from home. So, about to start cycle-commuting.

    Corporate environment, so it's shirt&tie etc. Able to store shoes, trousers, tie etc in a suitbag
    at the office. Planning on wearing my cycling gear on the way in & changing when I get there.

    Anyone know a good way of carrying an ironed shirt with me? Can you get shirt boxes or something?
    Have tried a trawl of the net without luck, but wasn't sure exactly what to search on.

    Folding it properly is the key. Lie a buttoned-up, ironed shirt button- side down on a table. Take a
    chunky women's mag (though men's mags are as chunky these days---but use a proper size one rather
    than Jack!) and place it squarely on the back of the shirt so that its top edge lies along the top
    of the collar. Fold the left side over the back of the mag using the edge as the folding line, then
    fold the sleeve so it lies along the length of this bit of shirt. Repeat for the right side. Fold
    the bottom upwards (taking the sleeves with it) using the lower edge of the bag as the folding line.

    You now have two options. If you don't mind the weight of the mag tuck the tail of the shirt over
    the top edge of the mag and neatly down behind the collar. The mag helps protect the shirt a little.
    If you do mind the weight then remove the mag and then do the fold. Place the whole lot in a bag and
    pack well! A shirt-box would be useful here, particularly if you put a couple of shirts in it.

    This method puts very few creases in and they tend to be in non-visible areas with a jacket or they
    drop out if not folded for long.

    Colin

  6. Quoted message said:

    Anyone know a good way of carrying an ironed shirt with me? Can you get shirt boxes or something?
    Have tried a trawl of the net without luck, but wasn't sure exactly what to search on.

    Fold shirt neatly. Put in carrier bag (preferably one of the stronger ones)


    Place in saddlbag/rucsac. No problem. Been doing it for years.

    Cliff

  7. (Chris Bardell) said:

    Hi all,

    Quoted message said:

    Anyone know a good way of carrying an ironed shirt with me? Can you get shirt boxes or something?
    Have tried a trawl of the net without luck, but wasn't sure exactly what to search on.

    --ChrisB

    Not an ideal solution I know but I try to roll my shirts rather than folding them. The easiest I
    find is to roll the shirt with the my trousers.

    I tend to take shirt, trousers undies socks and shoes on Monday and then just take fresh undies on
    Tuesday. Wednesday is new shirt and undies etc.

    My office colleagues have not complained so far...perhaps they are just too polite.

    I do have the luxury of showers at work.

    John "squeaky clean" Tomlinson Remove the singers of Spam before replying

  8. "Chris Bardell" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Hi all,

    Doesn't sound cycling-related, but for next month or two I'm working at a different site, approx
    45mins walk from home. So, about to start cycle-commuting.

    Corporate environment, so it's shirt&tie etc. Able to store shoes, trousers, tie etc in a suitbag
    at the office. Planning on wearing my cycling gear on the way in & changing when I get there.

    Anyone know a good way of carrying an ironed shirt with me? Can you get shirt boxes or something?
    Have tried a trawl of the net without luck, but wasn't sure exactly what to search on.

    Any experiences or suggns appreciated. Cheap'n'cheerful preferred - totally boracic. Thanks.


    Get non-iron shirts Take a load and hang them up on Monday.

    Personally I wear jeans/t-shirts so I just rotate 3 of them - taking them home at the weekend to
    wash and wearing 2 of them twice. Then again I'm a scruffy b*stard.

  9. Cover the ironed shirt in the plastic wrapping your suits come back from the dry cleaners in and
    fold over loosely two or three times. I generally leave the shirt on a wire hanger and carry it this
    way in a small backpack. The plastic seems to prevent creasing.

    Good luck

    Fran

    "Chris Bardell" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Hi all,

    Doesn't sound cycling-related, but for next month or two I'm working at a different site, approx
    45mins walk from home. So, about to start cycle-commuting.

    Corporate environment, so it's shirt&tie etc. Able to store shoes, trousers, tie etc in a suitbag
    at the office. Planning on wearing my cycling gear on the way in & changing when I get there.

    Anyone know a good way of carrying an ironed shirt with me? Can you get shirt boxes or something?
    Have tried a trawl of the net without luck, but wasn't sure exactly what to search on.

    Any experiences or suggns appreciated. Cheap'n'cheerful preferred - totally boracic. Thanks.

    --ChrisB

  10. Take a week's supply of shirts on a Monday & bring them home Friday night.

    Travel iron kept at the office for use if needed.

    Cheers, helen s

    ~~~~~~~~~~
    Flush out that intestinal parasite and/or the waste product before sending a reply!

    Any speeliong mistake$ aR the resiult of my cats sitting on the keyboaRRRDdd
    ~~~~~~~~~~

  11. "Chris Bardell" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Hi all,

    Doesn't sound cycling-related, but for next month or two I'm working at a different site, approx
    45mins walk from home. So, about to start cycle-commuting.

    Corporate environment, so it's shirt&tie etc. Able to store shoes, trousers, tie etc in a suitbag
    at the office. Planning on wearing my cycling gear on the way in & changing when I get there.

    Anyone know a good way of carrying an ironed shirt with me? Can you get shirt boxes or something?
    Have tried a trawl of the net without luck, but wasn't sure exactly what to search on.

    Any experiences or suggns appreciated. Cheap'n'cheerful preferred - totally boracic. Thanks.

    --ChrisB


    I carry one every day to my government office. Button it up - fold the sleeves across the back (as
    when you bought it) fold it into 3 - tail back up the back and gently roll into a carrier back with
    socks, underwear, trousers, belt and towel. Don't crush and unpack as soon as you arrive. Works
    every time - cotton only shirts - polyester might crease - paradoxically.

  12. "wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Travel iron

    What's one of them then?

    cheers, clive

    (working at home : now even scruffier)

  13. Clive George said:

    "wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Travel iron

    What's one of them then?

    I think it must be something golfers use. Not sure why she's going on about them here.

  14. On 6 Mar 2003 09:34:43 -0800, Chris Bardell scrawled: ) Anyone know a good way of carrying an ironed
    shirt with me?

    You can invest in some no-iron shirts, or at least fold them where the creases won't show (as
    suggested elsewhere: fold as per Marks and Spencer's).

    J-P
    --
    When you're fighting a weasel they're as big as a man.

  15. Quoted message said:

    Any experiences or suggns appreciated. Cheap'n'cheerful preferred - totally boracic. Thanks.

    I take my shirts in, folded carefully, then wear then 4 times - hanging them up each night
    afterwards. It sounds afwul, but I usually wear a t-shirt underneath and am careful not to spill my
    food down them. So they're kept pretty clean and only worn 9-5. Good quality shirts make a huge
    difference too. They look fine after a few days wearing.

    Whatever you work out, cycling and getting changed at the other end isnt nearly as hard as I thought
    it would be. I spray plenty of deoderant and aftershave around - noone's complained about a bad
    smell yet...

  16. "Fran" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    Cover the ironed shirt in the plastic wrapping your suits come back from the dry cleaners in and
    fold over loosely two or three times. I generally leave the shirt on a wire hanger and carry it
    this way in a small backpack. The plastic seems to prevent creasing.

    Good luck

    Fran

    Thanks to everyone who has replied. I will check out all your suggestions.

    Cheers again for the suggestions & experiences.

    --ChrisB (terrifying the cage-commuters of Norwich starting next week - be afraid, etc).

  17. i bought a proper suit/clothes carrier pannier bag. quite big, but again, would only need to take it
    mon am and fri pm.

    soph

    On Thu, 6 Mar 2003 21:30:13 +0000, Johnny Klunk wrote (in message
    <[email hidden]>😉:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Any experiences or suggns appreciated. Cheap'n'cheerful preferred - totally boracic. Thanks.

    I take my shirts in, folded carefully, then wear then 4 times - hanging them up each night
    afterwards. It sounds afwul, but I usually wear a t-shirt underneath and am careful not to spill
    my food down them. So they're kept pretty clean and only worn 9-5. Good quality shirts make a huge
    difference too. They look fine after a few days wearing.

    Whatever you work out, cycling and getting changed at the other end isnt nearly as hard as I
    thought it would be. I spray plenty of deoderant and aftershave around - noone's complained about
    a bad smell yet...

  18. Don't fold, roll!

    "Chris Bardell" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Hi all,

    Doesn't sound cycling-related, but for next month or two I'm working at a different site, approx
    45mins walk from home. So, about to start cycle-commuting.

    Corporate environment, so it's shirt&tie etc. Able to store shoes, trousers, tie etc in a suitbag
    at the office. Planning on wearing my cycling gear on the way in & changing when I get there.

    Anyone know a good way of carrying an ironed shirt with me? Can you get shirt boxes or something?
    Have tried a trawl of the net without luck, but wasn't sure exactly what to search on.

    Any experiences or suggns appreciated. Cheap'n'cheerful preferred - totally boracic. Thanks.

    --ChrisB

  19. Chris Bardell said:

    Hi all,

    Doesn't sound cycling-related, but for next month or two I'm working at a different site, approx
    45mins walk from home. So, about to start cycle-commuting.

    Corporate environment, so it's shirt&tie etc. Able to store shoes, trousers, tie etc in a suitbag
    at the office. Planning on wearing my cycling gear on the way in & changing when I get there.

    Anyone know a good way of carrying an ironed shirt with me? Can you get shirt boxes or something?
    Have tried a trawl of the net without luck, but wasn't sure exactly what to search on.

    Any experiences or suggns appreciated. Cheap'n'cheerful preferred - totally boracic. Thanks.

    --ChrisB

    as someone else said, good quality shirts help if you are "doubling/trebling up", which isn't as bad
    as it sounds as you won't be wearing them as much like "normal" commuters will be doing. I just fold
    carefully then hang them up as soon as i get into work, most creases don't show _that_ much. I take
    one in on monday, the next on tuesday , to last the week. undies and socks each day. I have two
    pairs of trousers and get them dry cleaned when required near to where I work. shoes also stay at
    work. I have access to showers which I need after 14 miles

    davep

  20. Richard said:

    - other people have reported success with rolling the shirts up, but I tend to find this only
    works with suits.

    Works for me. First I fold the shirt up neatly (right hand sleeve and a couple of inches of shirt
    folded over to the left, then fold the sleeve down, do the same with the other side, then fold the
    bottom of the shirt up to the collar). Then I lay a pair of boxer shorts and a pair of socks on top
    of the shirt and roll everything around the socks. Been doing it for years with no problems.

    --
    Danny Colyer (remove safety to reply) ( juggler.netdanny ) Recumbent cycle page:
    speedy5.freeserve.co.ukrecumbents "He who dares not offend cannot be honest." -
    Thomas Paine

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.