Australia and New Zealand · Public discussion

carrying bikes on hatchback

Started by frankv · · Last activity · 15 posts · 977 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Australia and New Zealand
Published
1 January 2007
Last activity
2 January 2007
Original author
frankv
Posts
15
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
977
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–15 of 15
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I am after views, experience or advice on carrying bikes on a
    hatchback.
    I have a Daihatsu Charade with 3 of everything - 3 doors counting the
    hatch and 3 cylinders.
    Very economical but not very good for carrying bikes. I don't want to
    fit conventional roof bars such as Rola or Rhino as they have to be
    rivetted to the roof. I also do not want to fit a tow bar due to the
    extra weight.
    I have bought on line a cheap hatchback mounted rack
    http://tinyurl.com/ymfcqo
    which I am not happy with. It does not seem to suit the shape of the
    car. I do not have confidence in the straps. The bike is not supported
    adequately and the toptube could be damaged IMHO. I have read online
    stories of this style of rack jumping off on bumpy roads.
    I want to be able to carry one or possibly two mountain bikes.
    Carrying the bike(s) inside the car with the rear seat folded down is
    usually not possible due to the presence of other passengers.

    Frank

  2. frankv said:

    <snip>

    I've heard good things about the Saris Bones rack. I am in a similar
    situation and am about to go look at one of those.

    Damian

  3. Damian said:


    I've heard good things about the Saris Bones rack. I am in a similar
    situation and am about to go look at one of those.


    I have a Bones rack - and it does work very well, once set up. It is a
    pain to set up first (and if you are swapping between cars).

    Parbs

  4. frankv said:

    I am after views, experience or advice on carrying bikes on a
    hatchback.
    I have a Daihatsu Charade with 3 of everything - 3 doors counting the
    hatch and 3 cylinders.
    Very economical but not very good for carrying bikes. I don't want to
    fit conventional roof bars such as Rola or Rhino as they have to be
    rivetted to the roof. I also do not want to fit a tow bar due to the
    extra weight.
    I have bought on line a cheap hatchback mounted rack
    tinyurl.comymfcqo
    which I am not happy with. It does not seem to suit the shape of the
    car. I do not have confidence in the straps. The bike is not supported
    adequately and the toptube could be damaged IMHO. I have read online
    stories of this style of rack jumping off on bumpy roads.
    I want to be able to carry one or possibly two mountain bikes.
    Carrying the bike(s) inside the car with the rear seat folded down is
    usually not possible due to the presence of other passengers.

    Frank

    Frank, I had the same issues with my hatchback. I took the car to a specialist towbar maker, he made up a special lightweight towbar that while I could not tow with it, it was designed to take the vertical stresses of a bike rack. Cost less than $100 to get installed. Then add a conventional, removable towbar bike rack of your choice.

  5. frankv said:

    I am after views, experience or advice on carrying bikes on a
    hatchback.
    I have a Daihatsu Charade with 3 of everything - 3 doors counting the
    hatch and 3 cylinders.
    Very economical but not very good for carrying bikes. I don't want to
    fit conventional roof bars such as Rola or Rhino as they have to be
    rivetted to the roof.

    Does the Charade not have roof gutters then? My wife has an older
    ('92) Applause which *does* have them, but I suppose the design has
    changed quite a bit since then. Regardless, I'm sure that you can buy
    reasonable quality roof bars that don't need to have holes driled in
    the car to fit whether your car has roof gutters or not.

    Somebody here was talking about the cheap way of carrying bikes using
    standard roof bars a while ago (by attaching an old quick release hub
    to the front bar, clamping the bikes forks into it, and using an occy
    strap to hold the bike's rear wheel to the second roof bar). It
    sounded like a good idea.

    BTH

  6. frankv said:

    I have bought on line a cheap hatchback mounted rack
    http://tinyurl.com/ymfcqo
    which I am not happy with. It does not seem to suit the shape of the
    car. I do not have confidence in the straps. >
    Frank

    G'day Frank,

    Back in my uni days, when I drove a tres chic beige Mazda 323 hatch
    (*groans*), I used a similar strap-on rear bike rack. When I had it
    attached to the car the first time, I did everything I could to try and
    test it to failure (I wasn't 100% sure!!), but it stayed on no matter
    what I did. I used it for about 5 years or so, and it was absolutely
    fine.....

    The straps were adjustable as well, so as to change the way the rubber
    pads rested against the back of the car - I assume that was to adjust
    to different car shapes...... Maybe you could play around with the
    straps a bit??

    Anyway - just my 2 cents. Don't be worried about the strap system per
    se.....

    Cheers,
    Abby

  7. frankv said:

    car. I do not have confidence in the straps. The bike is not supported

    I borrowed my brother's strap on rack for use on Corolla Seca (he used
    it without any trouble on a Jackaroo). I was a bit suss on the straps.
    Going around a large roundabout I saw one side come off and the whole
    rack swing around to the side of the car. Luckily no damage done but i
    was forever cured of strap on racks.

    DaveB

  8. DaveB said:
    frankv said:

    car. I do not have confidence in the straps. The bike is not supported

    I borrowed my brother's strap on rack for use on Corolla Seca (he used
    it without any trouble on a Jackaroo). I was a bit suss on the straps.
    Going around a large roundabout I saw one side come off and the whole
    rack swing around to the side of the car. Luckily no damage done but i
    was forever cured of strap on racks.

    I had a lot of success with strap-on racks. Never had a problem .. you
    do have to be careful with them when you put them on, and do them up
    tight, but I've had 3 MTBs over very rough dirt roads on the back of a
    hatchback with no problems.

  9. Bleve said:
    DaveB said:
    frankv said:

    car. I do not have confidence in the straps. The bike is not supported


    I borrowed my brother's strap on rack for use on Corolla Seca (he used
    it without any trouble on a Jackaroo). I was a bit suss on the straps.
    Going around a large roundabout I saw one side come off and the whole
    rack swing around to the side of the car. Luckily no damage done but i
    was forever cured of strap on racks.

    I had a lot of success with strap-on racks. Never had a problem .. you
    do have to be careful with them when you put them on, and do them up
    tight, but I've had 3 MTBs over very rough dirt roads on the back of a
    hatchback with no problems.

    I suspect they work very well or very badly. The rack my brother used
    saw a lot of action in Northern territory, without a hiccup. Just didn't
    work well for my car.

    DaveB

  10. DaveB said:
    frankv said:

    car. I do not have confidence in the straps. The bike is not supported

    I borrowed my brother's strap on rack for use on Corolla Seca (he used
    it without any trouble on a Jackaroo). I was a bit suss on the straps.
    Going around a large roundabout I saw one side come off and the whole
    rack swing around to the side of the car. Luckily no damage done but i
    was forever cured of strap on racks.

    DaveB

    Strap on, eh? *snigger*

    http://www.thule.com/Thule/ProductPage____33556.aspx

    Anyone tried the Thule Clip On High? It's a bit pricey at almost AUD300
    but I like the look of the rails that secure the wheels and keep the
    bikes apart. My experiences with towbar- and boot-mounted racks where
    the bikes lean against each other usually end up with scratched frames
    and forks. However, I believe a few of the newer racks like the Saris
    Bones have extra straps that you put around the seat tube to keep the
    bikes separated.

  11. BT Humble said:

    Does the Charade not have roof gutters then? My wife has an older
    ('92) Applause which *does* have them, but I suppose the design has
    changed quite a bit since then. Regardless, I'm sure that you can buy
    reasonable quality roof bars that don't need to have holes driled in
    the car to fit whether your car has roof gutters or not.

    94 model, No gutters.
    Thule make roof bars to suit
    http://tinyurl.com/ynzlsp
    RRP of $359 and that does not include bike mounts.

    I have made my own bike mounts in the past for older cars with gutters.
    Whilst the Saris rack can't be in use when the tailgate is in use, I
    like the idea of resting most of the weight on the bumper.

    Thanks for all replies so far.

    Frank

  12. Harng Goh said:
    DaveB said:
    frankv said:

    car. I do not have confidence in the straps. The bike is not supported

    I borrowed my brother's strap on rack for use on Corolla Seca (he used
    it without any trouble on a Jackaroo). I was a bit suss on the straps.
    Going around a large roundabout I saw one side come off and the whole
    rack swing around to the side of the car. Luckily no damage done but i
    was forever cured of strap on racks.

    DaveB

    Strap on, eh? *snigger*

    http://www.thule.com/Thule/ProductPage____33556.aspx

    Anyone tried the Thule Clip On High? It's a bit pricey at almost AUD300
    but I like the look of the rails that secure the wheels and keep the
    bikes apart. My experiences with towbar- and boot-mounted racks where
    the bikes lean against each other usually end up with scratched frames
    and forks. However, I believe a few of the newer racks like the Saris
    Bones have extra straps that you put around the seat tube to keep the
    bikes separated.

    These ones look pretty sturdy too :

    http://hollywoodracks.com/

    Quite a bit cheaper than the Thule jobby ...

    Expect the Saris stuff to be a lot easier to get hold of in the next
    few months, now Trek are the distributors for it in Oz.

  13. Bleve said:
    Harng Goh said:
    DaveB said:

    frankv wrote:
    > car. I do not have confidence in the straps. The bike is not supported

    I borrowed my brother's strap on rack for use on Corolla Seca (he used
    it without any trouble on a Jackaroo). I was a bit suss on the straps.
    Going around a large roundabout I saw one side come off and the whole
    rack swing around to the side of the car. Luckily no damage done but i
    was forever cured of strap on racks.

    DaveB

    Strap on, eh? *snigger*

    http://www.thule.com/Thule/ProductPage____33556.aspx

    Anyone tried the Thule Clip On High? It's a bit pricey at almost AUD300
    but I like the look of the rails that secure the wheels and keep the
    bikes apart. My experiences with towbar- and boot-mounted racks where
    the bikes lean against each other usually end up with scratched frames
    and forks. However, I believe a few of the newer racks like the Saris
    Bones have extra straps that you put around the seat tube to keep the
    bikes separated.

    These ones look pretty sturdy too :

    http://hollywoodracks.com/

    Quite a bit cheaper than the Thule jobby ...

    Expect the Saris stuff to be a lot easier to get hold of in the next
    few months, now Trek are the distributors for it in Oz.

    I saw those Hollywood Racks at the recent bike show. The price is
    right, and I like the bike separator straps.

  14. Harng Goh said:

    I saw those Hollywood Racks at the recent bike show. The price is
    right, and I like the bike separator straps.

    Yikes! As I clicked on the link for "Hollywood Racks", I suddenly
    thought I was going to get a pic of Paris Hilton's front end. Not
    kosher, on the work 'puter.

    Donga

  15. Donga said:
    Harng Goh said:

    I saw those Hollywood Racks at the recent bike show. The price is
    right, and I like the bike separator straps.

    Yikes! As I clicked on the link for "Hollywood Racks", I suddenly
    thought I was going to get a pic of Paris Hilton's front end. Not
    kosher, on the work 'puter.

    No such luck, eh? 🙂

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.