UK and Europe · Public discussion

Cartridge bearings

Started by Paul Davis · · Last activity · 6 posts · 409 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
UK and Europe
Published
6 August 2004
Last activity
8 August 2004
Original author
Paul Davis
Posts
6
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
409
Views / 30 days
8

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–6 of 6
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Is there any way to tell whether a bearing in a hub cartridge bearing is
    damaged? I've removed the seals but the bearings themselves aren't really
    visible.

    Thanks,
    Paul

  2. "Paul Davis" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Is there any way to tell whether a bearing in a hub cartridge bearing is
    damaged? I've removed the seals but the bearings themselves aren't really
    visible.

    If the rim waggles a bit - as if it had loose cones - the bearing's worn
    out. Remove it(them) and go to a bearing supplier to get cheap replacements.

    I have a White Industries hub that takes new bearings every 2 or 3 years
    (MTB). First time they went I asked in the LBS, £9 to £12 a bearing, and a
    wait of 3 days. I went to Hereford bearings and paid £12 for 4 of them - off
    the shelf.

    John

  3. Thanks John. Yes there has been a bit of play in the wheel and a strange
    knocking when turning (not the headset) so there probably is a damaged
    bearing.

    Thanks again,
    Paul

  4. "Paul Davis" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Is there any way to tell whether a bearing in a hub cartridge bearing is
    damaged? I've removed the seals but the bearings themselves aren't really
    visible.

    If there is any play whatsover they're worn out.
    If they don't rotate perfectly smoothly they are damaged, usually caused by
    water ingress.
    (Cartridge bearings run smoother than all but the best adjusted high quality
    cone bearings, well adjusted cones will also have some play when removed
    from the bike, cartridges won't)

    Rgds,
    Pete

  5. Paul Davis said:


    Is there any way to tell whether a bearing in a hub cartridge bearing is
    damaged? I've removed the seals but the bearings themselves aren't really
    visible.

    Yes. They scream like buggery when they are on the way out.
    I was descending a hill at about 45mph the other day when the
    front end of my bike literally started 'screaming'. I hit the
    brakes thinking I'd puncture or got something stuck between
    the wheel and fork, but when I slowed below 20mph odd the sound
    dissappeared. Same thing happened on the next fast descent.
    Sure enough, when I got home I took the bearings out of the
    wheels and the front left hand bearing had run dry and was covered
    in a patina of rust. Ho hum. Guess I'd best get some training wheels
    for next winter, rather than run the Ksyrium SLs in the wet and
    salt again.

    --
    Alex
    BMW R1150GS
    DIAABTCOD#3 MSWF#4 UKRMFBC#6 Ibw#35 BOB#8
    http://www.team-ukrm.co.uk
    Windy's "little soldier"

  6. Peter B said:

    well adjusted cones will also have some play when removed
    from the bike

    <pedant> Unless you have solid axles (like on a track bike or a cheap
    bike) </pedant>

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.