General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Cast iron causing stain on stove?

Started by Tom or Mary · · Last activity · 9 posts · 253 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
25 May 2006
Last activity
27 May 2006
Original author
Tom or Mary
Posts
9
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
253
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–9 of 9
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I use cast iron skillets all the time. The area around the burner keeps
    getting brown, and it is had to remove. Is this caused by: the iron skillet
    that is really large, the high temperatures when I stirfry, or the fact I do
    not use SOS pads to clean it after each use? My gas stove is around fifty
    years old, and I would like to get a new one, but I would like to prevent
    the above problem. Also I notice that most new gas stoves use an electric
    starter rather than pilot lights although I have seen a couple new ones with
    pilot lights. Are the newer types worth it or is there some hidden problem.
    I assume you save gas, but, do they wear out and you lose all the gas
    savings to have them replaced.Thanks for any suggestions you might have.

    Tom

  2. Tom or Mary said:

    I use cast iron skillets all the time. The area around the burner keeps
    getting brown, and it is had to remove. Is this caused by: the iron skillet
    that is really large, the high temperatures when I stirfry, or the fact I do
    not use SOS pads to clean it after each use? My gas stove is around fifty
    years old, and I would like to get a new one, but I would like to prevent
    the above problem. Also I notice that most new gas stoves use an electric
    starter rather than pilot lights although I have seen a couple new ones with
    pilot lights. Are the newer types worth it or is there some hidden problem.
    I assume you save gas, but, do they wear out and you lose all the gas
    savings to have them replaced.Thanks for any suggestions you might have.

    The pan is too large for the burner, and is scorching the area around
    the burner.

    Do not clean around the burner with steel wool. It will remove the stove
    top surface wherever it is used. Use baking soda and a light touch with
    a damp sponge, or a lesser abrasive commercial polisher like Bon Ami or
    Bar Keeper's Friend. Whatever you do, don't scour! A light touch is the key.

  3. Tom or Mary said:

    I use cast iron skillets all the time. The area around the burner keeps
    getting brown, and it is had to remove. Is this caused by: the iron skillet
    that is really large, the high temperatures when I stirfry, or the fact I do
    not use SOS pads to clean it after each use? My gas stove is around fifty
    years old, and I would like to get a new one, but I would like to prevent
    the above problem. Also I notice that most new gas stoves use an electric
    starter rather than pilot lights although I have seen a couple new ones with
    pilot lights. Are the newer types worth it or is there some hidden problem.
    I assume you save gas, but, do they wear out and you lose all the gas
    savings to have them replaced.Thanks for any suggestions you might have.

    Tom

    It sounds like the enamel around the burner is worn from 50 years of
    cleaning and the heat and cooking by-products are staining the
    stove-top. Porcelain enamel is pretty stain resistant but using
    abrasives will cause microscopic scratches that will allow stains to
    penetrate.

    I know of a Kenmore gas range with electric start that I believe was
    built in the early 80's and still works fine without ever being
    repaired.

  4. <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    I know of a Kenmore gas range with electric start that I believe was
    built in the early 80's and still works fine without ever being
    repaired.

    Gee, I would hope so. I wonder what the statistics are of the ages of
    stoves in the U.S.

    It must be my depression era thinking, but I feel almost ashamed of myself
    for buying a new stove (haven't picked it out yet) and mine is vintage 1988.

    Maybe we can take a poll.
    Dee Dee

  5. Pennyaline said:
    Tom or Mary said:

    I use cast iron skillets all the time. The area around the burner keeps
    getting brown, and it is had to remove. Is this caused by: the iron skillet
    that is really large, the high temperatures when I stirfry, or the fact I do
    not use SOS pads to clean it after each use? My gas stove is around fifty
    years old, and I would like to get a new one, but I would like to prevent
    the above problem. Also I notice that most new gas stoves use an electric
    starter rather than pilot lights although I have seen a couple new ones with
    pilot lights. Are the newer types worth it or is there some hidden problem.
    I assume you save gas, but, do they wear out and you lose all the gas
    savings to have them replaced.Thanks for any suggestions you might have.

    The pan is too large for the burner, and is scorching the area around
    the burner.

    Yes, true. The pan should fit the burner, neither overlapping or
    underlapping. Avoid using a "favorite" burner for all tasks, usually
    the small one on the left front side. ; )

  6. Tom or Mary said:

    I use cast iron skillets all the time. The area around the burner keeps
    getting brown, and it is had to remove. Is this caused by: the iron skillet
    that is really large, the high temperatures when I stirfry, or the fact I do
    not use SOS pads to clean it after each use? My gas stove is around fifty
    years old, and I would like to get a new one, but I would like to prevent
    the above problem. Also I notice that most new gas stoves use an electric
    starter rather than pilot lights although I have seen a couple new ones with
    pilot lights. Are the newer types worth it or is there some hidden problem.
    I assume you save gas, but, do they wear out and you lose all the gas
    savings to have them replaced.Thanks for any suggestions you might have.

    Tom

    It sounds like the enamel around the burner is worn from 50 years of
    cleaning and the heat and cooking by-products are staining the
    stove-top. Porcelain enamel is pretty stain resistant but using
    abrasives will cause microscopic scratches that will allow stains to
    penetrate.

    I know of a Kenmore gas range with electric start that I believe was
    built in the early 80's and still works fine without ever being
    repaired.

  7. Tom or Mary said:

    I use cast iron skillets all the time. The area around the burner keeps
    getting brown, and it is had to remove. Is this caused by: the iron skillet
    that is really large, the high temperatures when I stirfry, or the fact I do
    not use SOS pads to clean it after each use? My gas stove is around fifty
    years old, and I would like to get a new one, but I would like to prevent
    the above problem.

    I have an electric stove and I sometimes get a brown ring around the
    burners too.... but it's just grease. If you try wiping off the brown
    ring with a paper towel *before it cools*, you'll find it's much
    easier to remove.
    --

    Ham and eggs.
    A day's work for a chicken, a lifetime commitment for a pig.

  8. Quoted message said:

    The pan should fit the burner, neither overlapping or
    underlapping.

    So when are they going to make 14-16 inch burners for our larger pans?
    --

    Ham and eggs.
    A day's work for a chicken, a lifetime commitment for a pig.

  9. sf said:
    Quoted message said:

    The pan should fit the burner, neither overlapping or
    underlapping.

    So when are they going to make 14-16 inch burners for our larger pans?
    --

    Ham and eggs.
    A day's work for a chicken, a lifetime commitment for a pig.

    The recommendation to avoid overlapping the burner meant "within
    reason".

    As far as I know, the only way to accomodate a 16" pan would be on a
    range with a flat stovetop, (an antique cast iron stove, perhaps), on a
    grill, (wood or charcoal), or an open fire.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.