General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Ceamy Cheesy Fried Runza Wontons

Started by Steve Wertz · · Last activity · 20 posts · 664 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
1 May 2006
Last activity
2 May 2006
Original author
Steve Wertz
Posts
20
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
664
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 20
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Wonton wrappers are great for filling and frying almost anything.
    Tonight it was a basic runza recipe with cream and sharp cheddar
    cheeses(*). Kinda like the Minnesota version of crab rangoon.

    On every other wonton wrapper was placed a heaping tablespoon of
    filling, wet the edges with egg wash and then seal it with
    another wrapper, crimping the edges with a fork and being careful
    to get as much air out as possible.

    Fry in 325 oil for about 1.5 minutes. If you do it right, they
    won't explode. I had one (of eight) explode because the oil was
    too hot.

    Runza recipe is half a small head of green cabbage - chopped
    finelyt, 2 medium onions diced fine, 1lb hamburger (cooked and
    drained), lots of black pepper, and a little thyme, nutmeg,
    allspice, ground celery seed, MSG, all sauteed until limp.

    Then I added 2/3rd cups sharp cheddar, 4oz's cream cheese and
    half the cooked runza mixture and mixed it all together. I still
    have half the runza mixture for something else (?).

    My Beef taco/cheese/green onion wontons are a hit, too.
    You can never have enough wonton wrappers in the freezer.

    -sw

  2. "Steve Wertz" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Wonton wrappers are great for filling and frying almost anything.
    Tonight it was a basic runza recipe with cream and sharp cheddar
    cheeses(*). Kinda like the Minnesota version of crab rangoon.

    On every other wonton wrapper was placed a heaping tablespoon of
    filling, wet the edges with egg wash and then seal it with
    another wrapper, crimping the edges with a fork and being careful
    to get as much air out as possible.

    Fry in 325 oil for about 1.5 minutes. If you do it right, they
    won't explode. I had one (of eight) explode because the oil was
    too hot.

    Runza recipe is half a small head of green cabbage - chopped
    finelyt, 2 medium onions diced fine, 1lb hamburger (cooked and
    drained), lots of black pepper, and a little thyme, nutmeg,
    allspice, ground celery seed, MSG, all sauteed until limp.

    Then I added 2/3rd cups sharp cheddar, 4oz's cream cheese and
    half the cooked runza mixture and mixed it all together. I still
    have half the runza mixture for something else (?).

    My Beef taco/cheese/green onion wontons are a hit, too.
    You can never have enough wonton wrappers in the freezer.
    -sw

    Steve, runza, a Czech creation, is made with yeast dough, not wonton
    wrappers. Your version changes the dish totally to something else, a giant
    meat & cheese gyoza, or something. You must think of a new name for you've
    concocted.
    Kent, a genuine Bohemian, at least partially,

  3. Why don't they make a newsreader that spell-chucks the Subject:?

    "cReamy Cheesy Fried Runza Wontons".

    There.

    -sw

  4. "Steve Wertz" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Wonton wrappers are great for filling and frying almost anything.
    Tonight it was a basic runza recipe with cream and sharp cheddar
    cheeses(*). Kinda like the Minnesota version of crab rangoon.

    On every other wonton wrapper was placed a heaping tablespoon of
    filling, wet the edges with egg wash and then seal it with
    another wrapper, crimping the edges with a fork and being careful
    to get as much air out as possible.

    Fry in 325 oil for about 1.5 minutes. If you do it right, they
    won't explode. I had one (of eight) explode because the oil was
    too hot.

    Runza recipe is half a small head of green cabbage - chopped
    finelyt, 2 medium onions diced fine, 1lb hamburger (cooked and
    drained), lots of black pepper, and a little thyme, nutmeg,
    allspice, ground celery seed, MSG, all sauteed until limp.

    Then I added 2/3rd cups sharp cheddar, 4oz's cream cheese and
    half the cooked runza mixture and mixed it all together. I still
    have half the runza mixture for something else (?).

    My Beef taco/cheese/green onion wontons are a hit, too.
    You can never have enough wonton wrappers in the freezer.

    -sw

    Hey, that sounds good and I still have some frozen won ton wrappers! I
    think I'm going to try this. Thanks, Steve.

    kili <---- who will try it with pork or shrimp instead of ground beef.

  5. Steve Wertz said:


    Wonton wrappers are great for filling and frying almost anything.
    Tonight it was a basic runza recipe with cream and sharp cheddar
    cheeses(*). Kinda like the Minnesota version of crab rangoon.

    When cooked, the texture of cream cheese changes
    into something almost caky. It's nice that way,
    and I've filled wontons with a mixture of
    cream cheese and hot-smoked salmon which came
    out quite well. Avocado undergoes a similar
    change in texture.

  6. kilikini said:

    "Steve Wertz" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Wonton wrappers are great for filling and frying almost anything.
    Tonight it was a basic runza recipe with cream and sharp cheddar
    cheeses(*). Kinda like the Minnesota version of crab rangoon.

    On every other wonton wrapper was placed a heaping tablespoon of
    filling, wet the edges with egg wash and then seal it with
    another wrapper, crimping the edges with a fork and being careful
    to get as much air out as possible.

    Fry in 325 oil for about 1.5 minutes. If you do it right, they
    won't explode. I had one (of eight) explode because the oil was
    too hot.

    Runza recipe is half a small head of green cabbage - chopped
    finelyt, 2 medium onions diced fine, 1lb hamburger (cooked and
    drained), lots of black pepper, and a little thyme, nutmeg,
    allspice, ground celery seed, MSG, all sauteed until limp.

    Then I added 2/3rd cups sharp cheddar, 4oz's cream cheese and
    half the cooked runza mixture and mixed it all together. I still
    have half the runza mixture for something else (?).

    My Beef taco/cheese/green onion wontons are a hit, too.
    You can never have enough wonton wrappers in the freezer.

    -sw

    Hey, that sounds good and I still have some frozen won ton wrappers!
    I think I'm going to try this. Thanks, Steve.

    kili <---- who will try it with pork or shrimp instead of ground beef.

    Do my version of steamed dumplings with pork, shrimp and crabmeat.

    Jill

  7. Mark Thorson said:
    Steve Wertz said:


    Wonton wrappers are great for filling and frying almost anything.
    Tonight it was a basic runza recipe with cream and sharp cheddar
    cheeses(*). Kinda like the Minnesota version of crab rangoon.

    When cooked, the texture of cream cheese changes
    into something almost caky.

    When I deep fry them briefly, they just turn to goo. But some of
    the crab rangoon I get do seem kinda cakey come to think of it -
    like a cream cheese bear claw-type texture.

    -sw

  8. Steve Wertz said:

    Wonton wrappers are great for filling and frying almost anything.
    Tonight it was a basic runza recipe with cream and sharp cheddar
    cheeses(*). Kinda like the Minnesota version of crab rangoon.

    <GASP> Minnesota crab rangoon has no cheddar cheese, never did, never
    will. Unless someone gets really good and drunk.

    Hey, check this out. *This* is Minnesota rangoon:

    * Exported from MasterCook *

    Shrimp Rangoon

    Recipe By 😄amsel in dis Dress and Crasharooni
    Serving Size : 60 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Appetizers

    Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    16 ounces cream cheese -- softened
    4 ounces canned shrimp -- drained and chopped
    3 whole green onions -- chopped
    1/8 teaspoon granulated garlic
    1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
    1 dash Tabasco sauce
    1/2 teaspoon soy sauce
    60 won-ton wrappers -- (12 ounce package)

    In medium bowl, combine all ingredients except won ton wrappers and
    mix until well blended.

    Using a pastry brush, moisten edges of won ton wrapper with water.
    Place scant teaspoon of filling in center of won ton wrapper. Bring
    opposite points together above the filling. Do the same with the
    remaining two points. Seal the edges thoroughly. Should look like a
    square version of a Hershey's kiss.

    Fry in deep fryer at 350°F until golden brown.

    May be frozen until needed.

    Cuisine:
    "Fusion"
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    - -

    Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 52 Calories; 3g Fat (48.3%
    calories from fat); 2g Protein; 5g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber;
    12mg Cholesterol; 75mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1/2 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean
    Meat; 0 Vegetable; 1/2 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.

    Serving Ideas : Serve plain, or with seafood cocktail sauce.
    --

    Some people are like Slinkies... they don't really have a purpose but
    they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

    Stolen from "traid" on the IRC

  9. Steve Wertz said:

    My Beef taco/cheese/green onion wontons are a hit, too.

    <Damsel crosses her arms in front of her, assumes a stern facial
    expression, and taps her foot impatiently>

    And the recipe is ... where?

    Carol
    --

    Some people are like Slinkies... they don't really have a purpose but
    they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

    Stolen from "traid" on the IRC

  10. Damsel in dis Dress said:
    Steve Wertz said:

    Wonton wrappers are great for filling and frying almost anything.
    Tonight it was a basic runza recipe with cream and sharp cheddar
    cheeses(*). Kinda like the Minnesota version of crab rangoon.

    <GASP> Minnesota crab rangoon has no cheddar cheese, never did, never
    will.

    Neither does runza :-) What a great way to troll, though. Pick
    regional specialities and bastardize them. Hmmmm....

    Quoted message said:

    4 ounces canned shrimp -- drained and chopped

    -sw

  11. Damsel in dis Dress said:
    Steve Wertz said:

    My Beef taco/cheese/green onion wontons are a hit, too.

    <Damsel crosses her arms in front of her, assumes a stern facial
    expression, and taps her foot impatiently>

    And the recipe is ... where?

    Just cook up some of that americanized taco beef (from the
    Lawry's or McCormick) packet, and mix with cream cheese and green
    onions.1

  12. Steve Wertz said:
    Damsel in dis Dress said:
    Steve Wertz said:

    Wonton wrappers are great for filling and frying almost anything.
    Tonight it was a basic runza recipe with cream and sharp cheddar
    cheeses(*). Kinda like the Minnesota version of crab rangoon.

    <GASP> Minnesota crab rangoon has no cheddar cheese, never did, never
    will.

    Neither does runza :-) What a great way to troll, though. Pick
    regional specialities and bastardize them.

    <Damsel THWACKS Wertz with the Minneapolis Yellow Pages>

    Quoted message said:

    Hmmmm....

    Quoted message said:

    4 ounces canned shrimp -- drained and chopped

    Much more flavorful than crab. And Crash and I list our recipe as
    Fusion. That way, we can't get in trouble for using some peculiar
    ingredients.

    Carol
    --

    Some people are like Slinkies... they don't really have a purpose but
    they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

    Stolen from "traid" on the IRC

  13. Steve Wertz said:
    Damsel in dis Dress said:
    Steve Wertz said:

    My Beef taco/cheese/green onion wontons are a hit, too.

    <Damsel crosses her arms in front of her, assumes a stern facial
    expression, and taps her foot impatiently>

    And the recipe is ... where?

    Just cook up some of that americanized taco beef (from the
    Lawry's or McCormick) packet, and mix with cream cheese and green
    onions.1

    Cream cheese? Shouldn't that be cheddar? Stevie, you're givin' me a
    headache!

    Carol
    --

    Some people are like Slinkies... they don't really have a purpose but
    they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

    Stolen from "traid" on the IRC

  14. Damsel in dis Dress said:

    On Mon, 1 May 2006 16:27:50 -0500, Steve Wertz
    <[email hidden]> wrote:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Just cook up some of that americanized taco beef (from the
    Lawry's or McCormick) packet, and mix with cream cheese and green
    onions.1

    Cream cheese? Shouldn't that be cheddar? Stevie, you're givin' me a
    headache!

    I use whatever I have on hand, both if possible.

    -sw

  15. Damsel in dis Dress said:

    Shrimp Rangoon

    Oh, man. I'm making this. (I'll use fresh shrimp, but it's easy to get
    here.) YUM!

    serene

  16. On Mon, 01 May 2006 21:25:16 -0700, Serene <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:
    Damsel in dis Dress said:

    Shrimp Rangoon

    Oh, man. I'm making this. (I'll use fresh shrimp, but it's easy to get
    here.) YUM!

    serene

    If you're anything like Crash, you'll curse me for not introducing it
    to you sooner. <G> I use the canned stuff for its convenience as
    much as anything else.

    Carol
    --

    Some people are like Slinkies... they don't really have a purpose but
    they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

    Stolen from "traid" on the IRC

  17. Damsel in dis Dress said:

    On Mon, 01 May 2006 21:25:16 -0700, Serene <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:
    Damsel in dis Dress said:

    Shrimp Rangoon

    Oh, man. I'm making this. (I'll use fresh shrimp, but it's easy to get
    here.) YUM!

    Quoted message said:


    If you're anything like Crash, you'll curse me for not introducing it
    to you sooner. <G>

    *grin* I have the Atheist Superpower of being completely unable to
    curse anyone. :-)

    Quoted message said:

    I use the canned stuff for its convenience as
    much as anything else.

    Yeah. I've only ever used it for shrimp salad, because my sister used
    to love it when I made that for her, back when I was willing to do
    things for my sister.

    serene

  18. On Mon, 01 May 2006 22:47:17 -0700, Serene <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:
    Damsel in dis Dress said:

    On Mon, 01 May 2006 21:25:16 -0700, Serene <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    On Mon, 01 May 2006 15:53:11 -0500, Damsel in dis Dress
    <[email hidden]> wrote:

    > Shrimp Rangoon

    Oh, man. I'm making this. (I'll use fresh shrimp, but it's easy to get
    here.) YUM!

    Quoted message said:


    If you're anything like Crash, you'll curse me for not introducing it
    to you sooner. <G>

    *grin* I have the Atheist Superpower of being completely unable to
    curse anyone. :-)

    Well, he doesn't actually *curse* me. It's more like, "You rotten
    [censored]!" We have the cutest pet names for each other. LOL!

    Carol
    --

    Some people are like Slinkies... they don't really have a purpose but
    they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

    Stolen from "traid" on the IRC

  19. On Tue, 02 May 2006 01:03:12 -0500, Damsel in dis Dress wrote:

    oh, afk huh? Well, I'm calling it a night.

    --

    Ham and eggs.
    A day's work for a chicken, a lifetime commitment for a pig.

  20. On Mon, 01 May 2006 23:43:27 -0700, sf <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    On Tue, 02 May 2006 01:03:12 -0500, Damsel in dis Dress wrote:


    <snip>

    Quoted message said:


    oh, afk huh? Well, I'm calling it a night.

    Yes, AFK applies when a person comes in to keep up with newsgroup
    postings during television commercials. What? You think I'm
    *required* to keep you company in the IRC? Sorry, not in my job
    description. Show's back on ... bye!

    Carol
    --

    Some people are like Slinkies... they don't really have a purpose but
    they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

    Stolen from "traid" on the IRC

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.