General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Cell phone idiots revisited

Started by Dave Smith · · Last activity · 36 posts · 561 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
29 March 2006
Last activity
1 April 2006
Original author
Dave Smith
Posts
36
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
561
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 36
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Don't think they are dangerous for drivers? How about
    pedestrians?
    I had someone walk into me today while she was yakking on
    her cell phone. I was walking around a corner. She was
    walking around the same corner and in the same direction and
    walked right into me.

  2. Dave Smith wrote on 3/28/2006:

    Quoted message said:

    Don't think they are dangerous for drivers? How about
    pedestrians? I had someone walk into me today while she was yakking on
    her cell phone. I was walking around a corner. She was
    walking around the same corner and in the same direction and
    walked right into me.

    She was obviously preparing the way for the Lord. A much higher
    calling.
    She was probably talking to the Lord. Cut her some slack, dude!

    JK

  3. "KevinS" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    Dave Smith wrote on 3/28/2006:

    Quoted message said:

    Don't think they are dangerous for drivers? How about
    pedestrians? I had someone walk into me today while she was yakking on
    her cell phone. I was walking around a corner. She was
    walking around the same corner and in the same direction and
    walked right into me.

    The same thing happened to me a few months ago-- but::::
    She wasn't on the cell phone. She was behind me and walked right into me.
    Big time. With her cart!
    My point: some people are unconscious no matter what they do.

    In the library the other day there were 3 kids, one mother. They were
    running the aisles, very loud. The mother was loudly saying, all these
    'things' you say to kids nowadays. Time out, etc. I try to avoid bodily
    contact; one really has to be alert not to get walked or run into these
    days. I've noticed in New England the people will run right into you full
    frontal if you don't quickly step aside. They are in such a HURRY! Some
    people get disgusted with older people's slow walking, but it's all not
    age -- there's more to it than that. But many younger people haven't a
    clue.
    Dee Dee


  4. Quoted message said:

    Don't think they are dangerous for drivers? How about
    pedestrians?
    I had someone walk into me today while she was yakking on
    her cell phone. I was walking around a corner. She was
    walking around the same corner and in the same direction and
    walked right into me.

    There is no justice... she is probably thinking YOU walked into her, and no
    doubt told the person on the phone that "Some idiot just walked right into
    me"

    People like that are "staring in their own movie" and who the hell are you.

    Larry T

  5. Dee Randall said:

    <trimmed>

    Quoted message said:

    I've noticed in New England the people will run right into you full
    frontal if you don't quickly step aside.

    I noticed that as well, a sort of arrogant "I'm more important so you
    get out of my way". They are real startled when you don't budge and they
    either have to step to the side of get flattened. Seems particularly
    prevalent among PYV women with nothing better to do than shop all day.

    I particularly like it when a couple of these PYVs are wandering a 6'
    store isle taking up the entire isle and I come walking down the right
    side of the isle and plow through them when they are too oblivious
    and/or arrogant to consolidate themselves to make room for others to get
    by.

    Pete C.

  6. "Pete C." <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Dee Randall said:

    <trimmed>

    Quoted message said:

    I've noticed in New England the people will run right into you full
    frontal if you don't quickly step aside.

    I noticed that as well, a sort of arrogant "I'm more important so you
    get out of my way". They are real startled when you don't budge and they
    either have to step to the side of get flattened. Seems particularly
    prevalent among PYV women with nothing better to do than shop all day.

    I particularly like it when a couple of these PYVs are wandering a 6'
    store isle taking up the entire isle and I come walking down the right
    side of the isle and plow through them when they are too oblivious
    and/or arrogant to consolidate themselves to make room for others to get
    by.

    Pete C.

    I'm surprised that men (I assume Pete C. you are a man?) find this happens
    to them. I thought maybe it was a woman thing, that their neurons flashed
    that I was just too small or insignificant to be recognized on their radar
    screen.
    BTW what is PYV -- hmmm -- googled, but nothing.
    Dee Dee

  7. "LT" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:

    There is no justice... she is probably thinking YOU walked into her, and
    no
    doubt told the person on the phone that "Some idiot just walked right into
    me"

    People like that are "staring in their own movie" and who the hell are
    you.

    (laugh) I met one in training a few years back. Little girl in the
    supermarket pushing the cart. The parent stopped to look at
    something, I was waiting behind their cart. Little girl starts backing
    up, I tried to get out of the way but, really, I can't run backwards
    down a supermarket aisle with a cart. Bink! she backed into me,
    and ...

    this the thing ...

    .... looked me up and down with this Who the hell are you? look,
    and declared You ran into me. Like a little 30 year old.

    I said, no, you backed into me (why am I even bothering) and
    the parent scooted over, come on, let's go!

    What a brat.

    nancy

  8. Dee Randall said:


    "Pete C." <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Dee Randall said:

    <trimmed>

    Quoted message said:

    I've noticed in New England the people will run right into you full
    frontal if you don't quickly step aside.

    I noticed that as well, a sort of arrogant "I'm more important so you
    get out of my way". They are real startled when you don't budge and they
    either have to step to the side of get flattened. Seems particularly
    prevalent among PYV women with nothing better to do than shop all day.

    I particularly like it when a couple of these PYVs are wandering a 6'
    store isle taking up the entire isle and I come walking down the right
    side of the isle and plow through them when they are too oblivious
    and/or arrogant to consolidate themselves to make room for others to get
    by.

    Pete C.

    I'm surprised that men (I assume Pete C. you are a man?) find this happens
    to them. I thought maybe it was a woman thing, that their neurons flashed
    that I was just too small or insignificant to be recognized on their radar
    screen.

    I think it happens to pretty much everyone. Presumably some people are
    just so used to having to dodge these idiots that they don't really
    notice. I used to dodge them, but I wised up and now I just stand my
    ground and plow through them if they don't have the courtesy to
    consolidate themselves.

    Quoted message said:

    BTW what is PYV -- hmmm -- googled, but nothing.

    Plastic Yuppie Vermin

    Quoted message said:

    Dee Dee

    Pete C.

  9. Nancy Young said:

    "LT" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:

    There is no justice... she is probably thinking YOU walked into her, and
    no
    doubt told the person on the phone that "Some idiot just walked right into
    me"

    People like that are "staring in their own movie" and who the hell are
    you.

    (laugh) I met one in training a few years back. Little girl in the
    supermarket pushing the cart. The parent stopped to look at
    something, I was waiting behind their cart. Little girl starts backing
    up, I tried to get out of the way but, really, I can't run backwards
    down a supermarket aisle with a cart. Bink! she backed into me,
    and ...

    this the thing ...

    ... looked me up and down with this Who the hell are you? look,
    and declared You ran into me. Like a little 30 year old.

    I said, no, you backed into me (why am I even bothering) and
    the parent scooted over, come on, let's go!

    What a brat.

    Which one?

    Proves once again how the brat doesn't fall far from the family tree.

    Sheldon

  10. Pete C. said:

    I noticed that as well, a sort of arrogant "I'm more important so you
    get out of my way". They are real startled when you don't budge and they
    either have to step to the side of get flattened. Seems particularly
    prevalent among PYV women with nothing better to do than shop all day.

    My wife used to accuse me of paranoia when I complained about ignorant
    behaviour like that, and the more crowded the place the more likely it is
    to happen. I didn't think it was directed at me, just the result of their
    ignorance and stupidity. I started pointing it out to her and predicting
    it. She came to accept that it was real and not paranoia. I am talking
    about things like getting to the top or bottom of an escalator and stopping,
    stepping out from stores directly in front of you and ten stopping dead,
    often following by aimless spin around and then stepping back, groups of
    people walking side by side and expecting you to dodge them, people cutting
    across in front of you. Then there are the aisle blockers in grocery stores
    who park their cart 2/3 of the way across the aisle and then stand in the
    space to look at the goods so that you can't get by on either side.

    One of the worst is the automatic doors that slide open from the middle. I
    don't know what it is about people that they think that since the door fairy
    opened the doors for them than they get to walk right down the middle even
    when there are people coming the other way.

    I got fed up with dodging people and I no longer do it. I am a hell of a lot
    bigger than them. If they run into me they bounce of. Oops. I am sorry. I
    guess we weren't watching where we were going.

  11. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Sheldon said:
    Nancy Young said:

    "LT" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:

    There is no justice... she is probably thinking YOU walked into her, and
    no
    doubt told the person on the phone that "Some idiot just walked right into
    me"

    People like that are "staring in their own movie" and who the hell are
    you.

    (laugh) I met one in training a few years back. Little girl in the
    supermarket pushing the cart. The parent stopped to look at
    something, I was waiting behind their cart. Little girl starts backing
    up, I tried to get out of the way but, really, I can't run backwards
    down a supermarket aisle with a cart. Bink! she backed into me,
    and ...

    this the thing ...

    ... looked me up and down with this Who the hell are you? look,
    and declared You ran into me. Like a little 30 year old.

    I said, no, you backed into me (why am I even bothering) and
    the parent scooted over, come on, let's go!

    What a brat.

    Which one?

    Proves once again how the brat doesn't fall far from the family tree.

    Sheldon

    Yet another reason to study Tai Chi. Yield with no effort and help
    them (others) go where they must go. Sometimes on their ass. After
    all they must go some where as here is never good enough. I shop quite
    a bit these days and I notice our seniors are polite but are not
    deferred to out of respect as should be a given. . Sad as every one's
    time is on the move.

    Bill who was told told I qualify for senior discount.

    Yikes

    --
    Located In S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade
    This article is posted under fair use rules in accordance with
    Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, and is strictly for the educational
    and informative purposes. This material is distributed without profit.
    Vision Problems? Look at http://www.ocutech.com/ ~us$1500

  12. "Pete C." <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Dee Randall said:


    "Pete C." <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Dee Randall wrote:
    >

    <trimmed>

    > I've noticed in New England the people will run right into you full
    > frontal if you don't quickly step aside.

    I noticed that as well, a sort of arrogant "I'm more important so you
    get out of my way". They are real startled when you don't budge and
    they
    either have to step to the side of get flattened. Seems particularly
    prevalent among PYV women with nothing better to do than shop all day.

    I particularly like it when a couple of these PYVs are wandering a 6'
    store isle taking up the entire isle and I come walking down the right
    side of the isle and plow through them when they are too oblivious
    and/or arrogant to consolidate themselves to make room for others to
    get
    by.

    Pete C.

    I'm surprised that men (I assume Pete C. you are a man?) find this
    happens
    to them. I thought maybe it was a woman thing, that their neurons
    flashed
    that I was just too small or insignificant to be recognized on their
    radar
    screen.

    I think it happens to pretty much everyone. Presumably some people are
    just so used to having to dodge these idiots that they don't really
    notice. I used to dodge them, but I wised up and now I just stand my
    ground and plow through them if they don't have the courtesy to
    consolidate themselves.

    Quoted message said:

    BTW what is PYV -- hmmm -- googled, but nothing.

    Plastic Yuppie Vermin

    Quoted message said:

    Dee Dee

    Pete C.

    PYV -- Roaring with laughter! Did you make this up? HA AHAHAHAHAH.
    Dee Dee

  13. "Nancy Young" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "LT" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:

    There is no justice... she is probably thinking YOU walked into her, and
    no
    doubt told the person on the phone that "Some idiot just walked right
    into
    me"

    People like that are "staring in their own movie" and who the hell are
    you.

    (laugh) I met one in training a few years back. Little girl in the
    supermarket pushing the cart. The parent stopped to look at
    something, I was waiting behind their cart. Little girl starts backing
    up, I tried to get out of the way but, really, I can't run backwards
    down a supermarket aisle with a cart. Bink! she backed into me,
    and ...

    this the thing ...

    ... looked me up and down with this Who the hell are you? look,
    and declared You ran into me. Like a little 30 year old.

    I said, no, you backed into me (why am I even bothering) and
    the parent scooted over, come on, let's go!

    What a brat.

    nancy


    You're lucky you didn't get a tongue lashing from the mom.
    This happens, you know.
    Dee Dee

  14. "Sheldon" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:

    Nancy Young wrote:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I said, no, you backed into me (why am I even bothering) and
    the parent scooted over, come on, let's go!

    What a brat.

    Which one?

    Proves once again how the brat doesn't fall far from the family tree.

    That's so funny, I was thinking don't you say something,
    sorry! anything? No, just hustle the little princess away.
    I suppose the kid's charm is in full force as a teenager, now.

    nancy

  15. Dee Randall said:


    "Pete C." <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Dee Randall said:


    "Pete C." <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...
    > Dee Randall wrote:
    >>
    >
    > <trimmed>
    >
    >> I've noticed in New England the people will run right into you full
    >> frontal if you don't quickly step aside.
    >
    > I noticed that as well, a sort of arrogant "I'm more important so you
    > get out of my way". They are real startled when you don't budge and
    > they
    > either have to step to the side of get flattened. Seems particularly
    > prevalent among PYV women with nothing better to do than shop all day.
    >
    > I particularly like it when a couple of these PYVs are wandering a 6'
    > store isle taking up the entire isle and I come walking down the right
    > side of the isle and plow through them when they are too oblivious
    > and/or arrogant to consolidate themselves to make room for others to
    > get
    > by.
    >
    > Pete C.

    I'm surprised that men (I assume Pete C. you are a man?) find this
    happens
    to them. I thought maybe it was a woman thing, that their neurons
    flashed
    that I was just too small or insignificant to be recognized on their
    radar
    screen.

    I think it happens to pretty much everyone. Presumably some people are
    just so used to having to dodge these idiots that they don't really
    notice. I used to dodge them, but I wised up and now I just stand my
    ground and plow through them if they don't have the courtesy to
    consolidate themselves.

    Quoted message said:

    BTW what is PYV -- hmmm -- googled, but nothing.

    Plastic Yuppie Vermin

    Quoted message said:

    Dee Dee

    Pete C.

    PYV -- Roaring with laughter! Did you make this up? HA AHAHAHAHAH.
    Dee Dee

    It does appear that I can claim credit for that one. At least I haven't
    found any reference to it that I can't trace back to myself.

    Pete C.

  16. Dee Randall said:


    You're lucky you didn't get a tongue lashing from the mom.
    This happens, you know.

    True. I was walking through a mall and some woman stepped out from a store right
    in front of me. Not a major problem because there was lots of room to move over.
    What I wasn't expecting was her yard ape to jump out in front of me. I said a
    loud "Excuse me" and the mother turns to the kid and says "Boy, someone sure is
    grouchy today". I wonder what she would have done if I had gone with my instinct
    and drop kicked her little darling.

  17. "Dee Randall" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:

    "Nancy Young" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I said, no, you backed into me (why am I even bothering) and
    the parent scooted over, come on, let's go!

    Quoted message said:

    You're lucky you didn't get a tongue lashing from the mom.
    This happens, you know.

    (laugh!) I can hear the announcement now, Bloodshed
    on Aisle 3! Cleanup, Aisle 3!

    nancy

  18. "Dave Smith" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Don't think they are dangerous for drivers? How about
    pedestrians?
    I had someone walk into me today while she was yakking on
    her cell phone. I was walking around a corner. She was
    walking around the same corner and in the same direction and
    walked right into me.

    Reading it, I have to ask --- :-) What about that other person that
    almost walked into her? Was he on a cell phone also, or just otherwise
    distracted?

    (From the theory that it take more than one object to have a collision....)

    Or was one of them British, and thus was walking on the wrong side of the
    sidewalk......

    inquiring minds want to know...

  19. "Dave Smith" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Don't think they are dangerous for drivers? How about
    pedestrians?

    OK - seriously then -- sort of..

    I know when I'm text messaging in traffic, it seems that I always have more
    room around me. I don't look up very often (it's tough running that little
    keypad with my glasses up), just enough to stay in the lane, sort of, and
    other drivers are not as close as when I am sans texting, so from that
    standpoint it seems safer, actually.
    My appear-to-be-grown children claim it's not them being polite, it's that
    they notice my driving on the sidewalk or drifting into other lanes of
    traffic and they avoid me for self prservation. I think that's an
    exaggeration, as I seldom drive on the sidewalk.
    Besides, what kind of person drives for self preservation?

    Y, TFIC

    Quoted message said:

    I had someone walk into me today while she was yakking on
    her cell phone. I was walking around a corner. She was
    walking around the same corner and in the same direction and
    walked right into me.

  20. Dave Smith said:


    Dee Randall said:


    You're lucky you didn't get a tongue lashing from the mom.
    This happens, you know.

    True. I was walking through a mall and some woman stepped out from a store right
    in front of me. Not a major problem because there was lots of room to move over.
    What I wasn't expecting was her yard ape to jump out in front of me. I said a
    loud "Excuse me" and the mother turns to the kid and says "Boy, someone sure is
    grouchy today". I wonder what she would have done if I had gone with my instinct
    and drop kicked her little darling.

    Just trip over her darling little hell spawn, land on the floor with a
    big thud, yell loudly for security and threaten to sue the irresponsible
    parent.

    Pete C.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.