certified bike technician?????????

david462

Apr 3, 2006
heres some background info i feel like typing, but skip it if you want to get to the part where i have questions...

im a beginner at road cycling but ive been around bikes all my life. i rode bmx seriously for 4 or 5 years. in that time i learned everything there is to know about the bmx bike. i could do all repairs, build a complete bike, lace wheels, true wheels, you name it. i feel like i have a solid foundation so far. i havnt done much with gears though but im sure i could pick that up quite easily. im very good with mechanical things (im in the middle of mechanical engineer major) and with tools and such.....

anyways, i applied to work as a bike technician at dicks sporting goods (its a generic sporting goods store but one of the nicer ones). they asked if i was certified, which im not. all they do there is your basic repairs/installations and i guess build bikes in the back. i cant really prove to them that i have those skills i guess.

???'s:
i may still get the job, but now im thinking about getting certified. i dont know how you go about doing this or how much it costs. if im certified, what are my chances of getting a job at a bike shop?