Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Cervelo at LBS

Started by pearcey · · Last activity · 9 posts · 1,303 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
1 November 2004
Last activity
2 November 2004
Original author
pearcey
Posts
9
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,303
Views / 30 days
0
Topics

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–9 of 9
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. My LBS is selling a new Cervelo Soloist 2002 frame. They put an Ultegra groupset on it, but haven't been able to sell the bike (for ages I reckon) so they are stripping it again and selling the frame.

    What do people reckon would be a reasonable price? They've basically asked me to make them an offer, but have hinted that below AU$1500 (which is about £600 or US$1100 and bikes cost pretty much the same over here as the UK, which is slightly more than they would be in the US) would be what they would be looking for. The bike fits me - its about the right size.

    I note that basically a new Soloist team frame costs about £1100 (or about AU$2500 and US$2000) but the older frames are slightly different (I'm not sure how much difference this would make to the ride, probably none), but I'm not sure of how much of a markdown I should accept.

    Best wishes

    Callum

  2. pearcey said:

    My LBS is selling a new Cervelo Soloist 2002 frame. They put an Ultegra groupset on it, but haven't been able to sell the bike (for ages I reckon) so they are stripping it again and selling the frame.

    What do people reckon would be a reasonable price? They've basically asked me to make them an offer, but have hinted that below AU$1500 (which is about £600 or US$1100 and bikes cost pretty much the same over here as the UK, which is slightly more than they would be in the US) would be what they would be looking for. The bike fits me - its about the right size.

    I note that basically a new Soloist team frame costs about £1100 (or about AU$2500 and US$2000) but the older frames are slightly different (I'm not sure how much difference this would make to the ride, probably none), but I'm not sure of how much of a markdown I should accept.

    Best wishes

    Callum

    Excelsports gets $1500 for a new soloist Team. They ought to be giving a 3 year old one awy just to get rid of it.

  3. Are you using it for tri/TT? I think the soloist looks really trick, but rode one a good while back and it seemed pretty harsh, even for al. (Now their superprodigy on the otherhand...oooh.) Would be good for short individual TT rides though if the price is right and the frame floats yer boat. Why don't you test the waters and offer them $300 or $400 US for the frame?

  4. RC2 said:

    Are you using it for tri/TT? I think the soloist looks really trick, but rode one a good while back and it seemed pretty harsh, even for al. (Now their superprodigy on the otherhand...oooh.) Would be good for short individual TT rides though if the price is right and the frame floats yer boat. Why don't you test the waters and offer them $300 or $400 US for the frame?

    I'm using it for a mixture of group road training and tri, which is why the soloist appealed. I'm looking at doing a quite a few triathlons next season with a couple of longish Olympic length triathlons in the summer followed by a half IM late summer (in Monaco).

    Actually had a go on it today, although only for half an hour, which is probably not enough, but to be honest considering that with the groupset I'm going to end up spending £2000 I'm not sure if there's that much advantage over my Bianchi. They're really keen to sell it (and want me to take it on a 2 hour ride), but I reckon they'll only go down to AU$1400 or so.

    US$1500 for a Soloist team frame. Makes me weep! Bike stuff seems so much cheaper in the US. It's almost worth flying over and bringing a frame back. 17.5% VAT does put the price of things up a bit!

    Thanks for all your replies.

    Pearcey

  5. Prices are a [censored] joke in Aus and Brit.

    I take it you're in Britain?

    Aus? What state?

    I thought I knew all the Cervelo dealers in the country, coz I sussed them all out when I was looking for my Cervelo.

    I paid $1700 Aus (692 pounds) for the 2004 steel model Cervelo frame (including fork, post and head-set), and there are now some small sizes selling for $1500 Aus.

    $1400 Aus sounds like a great price to me -- I'd try to get the whole bike

    The Soloist can't be too harsh because some of the Team CSC riders rode
    them on the cobbles in Europe, but I think they switched to a much softer
    Mizuno fork. Check out the picture on the top of this page:http://www.cervelo.com/bikes/overview-2004.htm

  6. 531Aussie said:

    Prices are a [censored] joke in Aus and Brit.

    I take it you're in Britain?

    Aus? What state?

    I thought I knew all the Cervelo dealers in the country, coz I sussed them all out when I was looking for my Cervelo.

    I paid $1700 Aus (692 pounds) for the 2004 steel model Cervelo frame (including fork, post and head-set), and there are now some small sizes selling for $1500 Aus.

    $1400 Aus sounds like a great price to me -- I'd try to get the whole bike

    The Soloist can't be too harsh because some of the Team CSC riders rode
    them on the cobbles in Europe, but I think they switched to a much softer
    Mizuno fork. Check out the picture on the top of this page:http://www.cervelo.com/bikes/overview-2004.htm

    I'm living in Perth WA, but I'm going back to the UK in a couple of weeks. The LBS is Bikeforce Fremantle. Yeah, AU$1400 should be OK I suppose. I'm more interested in the frame as I don't think they'll haggle much on the groupset etc. which I should be able to get in the UK for the same price. I think it'll be easier to transport a frame and easier to convince customs that the frame is old/not worth that much than a whole bike.

  7. pearcey said:

    I'm living in Perth WA, but I'm going back to the UK in a couple of weeks. The LBS is Bikeforce Fremantle. Yeah, AU$1400 should be OK I suppose. I'm more interested in the frame as I don't think they'll haggle much on the groupset etc. which I should be able to get in the UK for the same price. I think it'll be easier to transport a frame and easier to convince customs that the frame is old/not worth that much than a whole bike.

    good idea.

    If it comes with an Easton EC90 fork and a post and head-set, it's a pretty good price. The Easton fork is at least 500 bucks (Aus), so you're getting the rest for 900 bucks!!

  8. 531Aussie said:

    Prices are a [censored] joke in Aus and Brit.

    I take it you're in Britain?

    Aus? What state?

    I thought I knew all the Cervelo dealers in the country, coz I sussed them all out when I was looking for my Cervelo.

    I paid $1700 Aus (692 pounds) for the 2004 steel model Cervelo frame (including fork, post and head-set), and there are now some small sizes selling for $1500 Aus.

    $1400 Aus sounds like a great price to me -- I'd try to get the whole bike

    The Soloist can't be too harsh because some of the Team CSC riders rode
    them on the cobbles in Europe, but I think they switched to a much softer
    Mizuno fork. Check out the picture on the top of this page:http://www.cervelo.com/bikes/overview-2004.htm


    I have ridden my soloist for a little while now and I it certainly not harsh, I am comparing with a steel, columbus spx, frame. It is a little bit stiffer, quite a lot lighter, and maybe a tad harsher, but still plush. I love it.

  9. boudreaux said:

    Excelsports gets $1500 for a new soloist Team. They ought to be giving a 3 year old one awy just to get rid of it.

    [censored]. Just checked out Excelsports - $1280 for both Soloist Team and P2K Framesets. £700!

    (No connection)

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.