Chain for Rohloff speedhub

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Peter, May 9, 2003.

  1. Peter

    Peter Guest

    I know (I think) a 1/8 chain should be used with a Sram 7 speed internal gear hub. But does anyone
    know what chain should be used with a Rohloff speedhub? Looked on their site but can't find this.
    Thanks peter

    Tags:

  2. x

    x Guest

    RE/
    >I know (I think) a 1/8 chain should be used with a Sram 7 speed internal gear hub. But does anyone
    >know what chain should be used with a Rohloff speedhub? Looked on their site but can't find this.

    Dunno from "should", but I was using 9-speed chains left over from before the Rohloff.

    Now I'm using 1/8" chains - but they're a pretty tight fit through Rohloff's chain tensioner. Tight
    enough, in fact, that I have to abandon SRAM's quick link because it hangs up. But those chains are
    only about nine bucks...and they seem to work a-ok.
    -----------------------
    PeteCresswell

  3. peter wrote:
    > I know (I think) a 1/8 chain should be used with a Sram 7 speed internal gear hub.

    Most, if not all, Sram sprockets are for 3/32" chain.

    > But does anyone know what chain should be used with a Rohloff speedhub? Looked on their site but
    > can't find this.

    Every Rohloff sprocket I've ever seen was for 3/32" chain.

    You _can_ use 1/8" chain on 3/32" sprockets, but there's no good reason to do so.

    Sheldon "1/8 Is Gradually Going The Way Of Skip-Link" Brown
    | A billion here, a couple of billion there -- | first thing you know it adds up to be real money.
    | | --Sen. Everett McKinley Dirksen |
    +------------------------------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts

  4. Peter

    Peter Guest

    Thanks for the very useful replies. peter

  5. Almost Fast

    Almost Fast Guest

    Any bushing type chains in 3/32? Or other type chain with good lateral stiffness?

    Sheldon Brown <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > peter wrote:
    > > I know (I think) a 1/8 chain should be used with a Sram 7 speed internal gear hub.
    >
    > Most, if not all, Sram sprockets are for 3/32" chain.
    >
    > > But does anyone know what chain should be used with a Rohloff speedhub? Looked on their site but
    > > can't find this.
    >
    > Every Rohloff sprocket I've ever seen was for 3/32" chain.
    >
    > You _can_ use 1/8" chain on 3/32" sprockets, but there's no good reason to do so.
    >
    > Sheldon "1/8 Is Gradually Going The Way Of Skip-Link" Brown
    > +------------------------------------------------------+
    > | A billion here, a couple of billion there -- | first thing you know it adds up to be real
    > | money. | --Sen. Everett McKinley Dirksen |
    > Massachusetts Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041 http://harriscyclery.com Hard-to-find parts
    > shipped Worldwide http://captainbike.com http://sheldonbrown.com

  6. almost fast asked:

    > Any bushing type chains in 3/32? Or other type chain with good lateral stiffness?

    We have some NOS (Made in "West Germany") Wipperman chains like this. $14.95

    | A: Because it reverses the logical flow of conversation. |
    | Q: Why is top posting frowned upon? |
    +-----------------------------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts