Chain for Rohloff speedhub

Peter

Guest
I know (I think) a 1/8 chain should be used with a Sram 7 speed internal gear hub. But does anyone
know what chain should be used with a Rohloff speedhub? Looked on their site but can't find this.
Thanks peter

RE/
>I know (I think) a 1/8 chain should be used with a Sram 7 speed internal gear hub. But does anyone
>know what chain should be used with a Rohloff speedhub? Looked on their site but can't find this.

Dunno from "should", but I was using 9-speed chains left over from before the Rohloff.

Now I'm using 1/8" chains - but they're a pretty tight fit through Rohloff's chain tensioner. Tight
enough, in fact, that I have to abandon SRAM's quick link because it hangs up. But those chains are
only about nine bucks...and they seem to work a-ok.
-----------------------
PeteCresswell

peter wrote:
> I know (I think) a 1/8 chain should be used with a Sram 7 speed internal gear hub.

Most, if not all, Sram sprockets are for 3/32" chain.

> But does anyone know what chain should be used with a Rohloff speedhub? Looked on their site but
> can't find this.

Every Rohloff sprocket I've ever seen was for 3/32" chain.

You _can_ use 1/8" chain on 3/32" sprockets, but there's no good reason to do so.

Sheldon "1/8 Is Gradually Going The Way Of Skip-Link" Brown
| A billion here, a couple of billion there -- | first thing you know it adds up to be real money.
| | --Sen. Everett McKinley Dirksen |
+------------------------------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts

Any bushing type chains in 3/32? Or other type chain with good lateral stiffness?

Sheldon Brown <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> peter wrote:
> > I know (I think) a 1/8 chain should be used with a Sram 7 speed internal gear hub.
>
> Most, if not all, Sram sprockets are for 3/32" chain.
>
> > But does anyone know what chain should be used with a Rohloff speedhub? Looked on their site but
> > can't find this.
>
> Every Rohloff sprocket I've ever seen was for 3/32" chain.
>
> You _can_ use 1/8" chain on 3/32" sprockets, but there's no good reason to do so.
>
> Sheldon "1/8 Is Gradually Going The Way Of Skip-Link" Brown
> +------------------------------------------------------+
> | A billion here, a couple of billion there -- | first thing you know it adds up to be real
> | money. | --Sen. Everett McKinley Dirksen |
> Massachusetts Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041 http://harriscyclery.com Hard-to-find parts
> shipped Worldwide http://captainbike.com http://sheldonbrown.com

almost fast asked:

> Any bushing type chains in 3/32? Or other type chain with good lateral stiffness?

We have some NOS (Made in "West Germany") Wipperman chains like this. $14.95

| A: Because it reverses the logical flow of conversation. |
| Q: Why is top posting frowned upon? |
+-----------------------------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts