Chain length ??

joewho

Guest
I need some help in sizing a chain for my MTB.

I am replacing the cogset on the bike and the range is 11-30.

The old cogset was 11-28. The question I have is do I use the old chain as a guide for length or do
I re size the chain to a new length?

If I change the length of the chain how do I do it right the 1st time. I remember Sheldon Brown
having an article in Bicycling on how to do this but seem to have lost the issue.

Help!!!!

Thanks

Make the new chain fit the big/big chainwheel/cog combination.

> I need some help in sizing a chain for my MTB.
>
> I am replacing the cogset on the bike and the range is 11-30.
>
> The old cogset was 11-28. The question I have is do I use the old chain as a guide for length or
> do I re size the chain to a new length?
>
> If I change the length of the chain how do I do it right the 1st time. I remember Sheldon Brown
> having an article in Bicycling on how to do this but seem to have lost the issue.
>
> Help!!!!
>
> Thanks

>Make the new chain fit the big/big chainwheel/cog combination

Or bypass the rear derailleur, stretch the chain taut across the bib-big combination, and add one
inch (i.e., one complete link). AFIK this is what Sheldon Brown recommends.

You can check out his website http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/new.html and use the built-in search
engine to find chain length.

Mike Yankee

(Address is munged to thwart spammers. To reply, delete everything after "com".)

MikeYankee wrote:
>>Make the new chain fit the big/big chainwheel/cog combination
>

> Or bypass the rear derailleur, stretch the chain taut across the bib-big combination, and add one
> inch (i.e., one complete link). AFIK this is what Sheldon Brown recommends.
>
> You can check out his website http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/new.html and use the built-in search
> engine to find chain length.
>

> Mike Yankee
>
> (Address is munged to thwart spammers. To reply, delete everything after "com".)

My mountain bike only wants 1/2 link. If I add 1-1/2 links (my choices
:)), the chain's too loose in the front granny and the smaller rear
cogs. Yes, I've checked to make sure that accidental shifting into the big-big combo (nite riding)
won't break the DR.

Also, make sure that your suspension's at the point where it needs the longest chian. On my Jekyll,
it's fully extended so this is not problem.

David