Chain length ??

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by joewho, Feb 16, 2003.

  1. joewho

    joewho Guest

    I need some help in sizing a chain for my MTB.

    I am replacing the cogset on the bike and the range is 11-30.

    The old cogset was 11-28. The question I have is do I use the old chain as a guide for length or do
    I re size the chain to a new length?

    If I change the length of the chain how do I do it right the 1st time. I remember Sheldon Brown
    having an article in Bicycling on how to do this but seem to have lost the issue.

    Help!!!!

    Thanks

    Tags:

  2. Doug Huffman

    Doug Huffman Guest

    Make the new chain fit the big/big chainwheel/cog combination.

    > I need some help in sizing a chain for my MTB.
    >
    > I am replacing the cogset on the bike and the range is 11-30.
    >
    > The old cogset was 11-28. The question I have is do I use the old chain as a guide for length or
    > do I re size the chain to a new length?
    >
    > If I change the length of the chain how do I do it right the 1st time. I remember Sheldon Brown
    > having an article in Bicycling on how to do this but seem to have lost the issue.
    >
    > Help!!!!
    >
    > Thanks

  3. Mikeyankee

    Mikeyankee Guest

    >Make the new chain fit the big/big chainwheel/cog combination

    Or bypass the rear derailleur, stretch the chain taut across the bib-big combination, and add one
    inch (i.e., one complete link). AFIK this is what Sheldon Brown recommends.

    You can check out his website http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/new.html and use the built-in search
    engine to find chain length.

    Mike Yankee

    (Address is munged to thwart spammers. To reply, delete everything after "com".)

  4. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    [email protected] wrote:
    > The old cogset was 11-28. The question I have is do I use the old chain as a guide for length or
    > do I re size the chain to a new length?

    The old chain may be long enough if it was longer than necessary, but it would be sensible just to
    forget that and size the chain for the new gears.

    See: http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/FAQchainlength.shtml

    ~PB

  5. David Kunz

    David Kunz Guest

    MikeYankee wrote:
    >>Make the new chain fit the big/big chainwheel/cog combination
    >

    > Or bypass the rear derailleur, stretch the chain taut across the bib-big combination, and add one
    > inch (i.e., one complete link). AFIK this is what Sheldon Brown recommends.
    >
    > You can check out his website http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/new.html and use the built-in search
    > engine to find chain length.
    >

    > Mike Yankee
    >
    > (Address is munged to thwart spammers. To reply, delete everything after "com".)

    My mountain bike only wants 1/2 link. If I add 1-1/2 links (my choices
    :)), the chain's too loose in the front granny and the smaller rear
    cogs. Yes, I've checked to make sure that accidental shifting into the big-big combo (nite riding)
    won't break the DR.

    Also, make sure that your suspension's at the point where it needs the longest chian. On my Jekyll,
    it's fully extended so this is not problem.

    David