Chain Lube Options?

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by DSK, Oct 26, 2003.

  1. DSK

    DSK New Member

    Joined:
    Oct 24, 2003
    I was just wandering, what chain lube is best to use on a road bike and what do you all use yourselves? Also, how oftend do you usually lube your chains?

    I'd prefer something that is not oily as oily stuff tends to fling off etc.

    Tags:

  2. Cipher

    Cipher New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 7, 2002
    Here's a web address from Cycling Forums that is discussing this topic.

    http://www.cyclingforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=53006

  3. DSK

    DSK New Member

    Joined:
    Oct 24, 2003
  4. "DSK" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I was just wandering, what chain lube is best to use on a road bike and what do you all use
    > yourselves? Also, how oftend do you usually lube your chains?
    >
    > I'd prefer something that is not oily as oily stuff tends to fling off etc.

    Krytech in the dry and routinely. If it gets really wet I plan to change to FinishLine Cross
    Country. I also got some free stuff from Decathlon in France I plan to try.

  5. Ouch

    Ouch Guest

    >I was just wandering, what chain lube is best to use on a road bike and what do you all use
    >yourselves? Also, how oftend do you usually lube your chains?
    >
    >I'd prefer something that is not oily as oily stuff tends to fling off etc.

    Well, I fit into the category of being a mtb'er but XC also rides roads so here's my 2ps worth.

    I chain my oil about once a month. I also take this opportunity to check the chain for wear.

    I first keep it in white spirit (which is a great grime and muck cleaner btw) for half a day before
    immersing it in a jar of synthetic engine oil for a day.

    After I remove the chain from the jar I wipe it clean with an old rag (can take a while to get it
    off from the outside of the chain) and put it back on again. Et voila!

    I don't find a problem with 'oily stuff flinging off' this way.

  6. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    DSK wrote:

    > I was just wandering, what chain lube is best to use on a road bike and what do you all use
    > yourselves? Also, how oftend do you usually lube your chains?

    White Lightning Raceday (wax) - I've tried plenty of things and this seems to keep the chain clean
    (sheds crud) and lasts a reasonable time. In summer a weekly drip of lube is all that's required, in
    winter maybe every couple of days if the roads are very wet.

    I ride a recumbent, the rear mech is very close to the ground, and keeping crud off the chain is a
    Big Deal, but I also use the same stuff on my upwrongs (including a triplet) with equally good
    results. The teiplet only seems to need a drip of lube every month or so, and it's used most days
    for the school run.

    --
    Guy
    ===

  7. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    DSK wrote:
    > I was just wandering, what chain lube is best to use on a road bike and what do you all use
    > yourselves? Also, how oftend do you usually lube your chains?
    >
    > I'd prefer something that is not oily as oily stuff tends to fling off etc.

    The cleanest hard wax products are expensive and don't last long so need reapplying very very
    frequently (especially after riding in the rain). You can literally end up spending more on lube
    than chain.

    Thicker oil based products don't fling off too much. Spray grease is cheap and works (leave to
    thicken for a few hours after applying and wipe off excess); some other special oil lubes may work
    even better. Chain will get very dirty with them though.

    I'm currently using Halfords Chain Wax (same as Castrol's) which is a relatively inexpensive medium
    soft wax so is a compromise between the two types. Some dirt does stick to it (but wipes off quite
    easily) so it's not ideal, really. Trouble is, there is NO ideal chain lube.

    Don't worry about it and use whatever *you* think is best and . It's just important to clean the
    chain thouroughly by immersing in solvent/degreaser before it gets extremely dirty/gritty.

    Check out the motorcycle products which are cheaper than Finish Price Fixed Line, etc - not all of
    them are designed exclusively for o-ring chains (bicycle chains don't have o-rings).

    ~PB

  8. Andyp

    Andyp Guest

    "DSK" <[email protected]> wrote

    > I was just wandering, what chain lube is best to use on a road bike and what do you all use
    > yourselves? Also, how oftend do you usually lube your chains?
    >
    > I'd prefer something that is not oily as oily stuff tends to fling off etc.

    I'm well aware of the "Ooh you don't wanna put WD40/GT85 stuff anywhere near your chain mate" advice
    but that's all I ever used on my old bike and 1 new chain (and rear cassette) in 10 years says it
    works to me. I didn't bother measuring any "stretch" but just ran the chain until it started
    slipping and coming off. (More environmentally friendly and cheaper than throwing away perfectly
    good chains that have probably still got plenty of life left in them just because they don't measure
    a certain length, surely?)

    Anyhow, since getting a new bike in March I've taken note and the chain has "stretched" a smidgen
    less than 1/16th inch on the odd squirt of GT85 and little in the way of cleaning. That'd be about
    1500 to 2000 of dirt and tarmac miles at a rough guesstimate. How much mileage would anyone expect
    from any other lubricant?

  9. DSK wrote:

    > I was just wandering, what chain lube is best to use on a road bike and what do you all use
    > yourselves? Also, how oftend do you usually lube your chains?
    >
    > I'd prefer something that is not oily as oily stuff tends to fling off etc.

    Never found better than 3-in-1 oil. Just give the chain a really good wipe after you've oiled each
    link and it won't fling (it goes a bit gummy with age which helps)

  10. DSK wrote:

    >I was just wandering, what chain lube is best to use on a road bike and what do you all use
    >yourselves? Also, how oftend do you usually lube your chains?

    I swear by Boeshield T-9, esp. in wet conditions.

    Mark van Gorkom.

  11. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    > ....Halfords Chain Wax (same as Castrol's).....

    Note that this product is very slow to set so leave for at least several hours after application
    before using, and wipe off excess.

    ~PB

  12. AndyP wrote:

    > "DSK" <[email protected]> wrote
    >

    >>I was just wandering, what chain lube is best to use on a road bike and what do you all use
    >>yourselves? Also, how oftend do you usually lube your chains?
    >>
    >>I'd prefer something that is not oily as oily stuff tends to fling off etc.
    >

    > I'm well aware of the "Ooh you don't wanna put WD40/GT85 stuff anywhere near your chain mate"
    > advice but that's all I ever used on my old bike and 1 new chain (and rear cassette) in 10 years
    > says it works to me. I didn't bother measuring any "stretch" but just ran the chain until it
    > started slipping and coming off. (More environmentally friendly and cheaper than throwing away
    > perfectly good chains that have probably still got plenty of life left in them just because they
    > don't measure a certain length, surely?)
    >
    > Anyhow, since getting a new bike in March I've taken note and the chain has "stretched" a smidgen
    > less than 1/16th inch on the odd squirt of GT85 and little in the way of cleaning. That'd be about
    > 1500 to 2000 of dirt and tarmac miles at a rough guesstimate. How much mileage would anyone expect
    > from any other lubricant?

    1/16th is the wear limit before you start to knacker sprockets and chainrings. 1500 to 2000 miles
    isn't all that good unless you only ride offroad. I'd expect at least 5,000 if not 10,000.

    I confess that my chains usually rust (because I forget to sort them out after wet rides) rather
    than wear out.

  13. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    AndyP wrote:

    > I'm well aware of the "Ooh you don't wanna put WD40/GT85 stuff anywhere near your chain mate"
    > advice but that's all I ever used on my old bike and 1 new chain (and rear cassette) in 10 years
    > says it works to me. I didn't bother measuring any "stretch" but just ran the chain until it
    > started slipping and coming off. (More environmentally friendly and cheaper than throwing away
    > perfectly good chains that have probably still got plenty of life left in them just because they
    > don't measure a certain length, surely?)
    >
    > Anyhow, since getting a new bike in March I've taken note and the chain has "stretched" a smidgen
    > less than 1/16th inch on the odd squirt of GT85 and little in the way of cleaning. That'd be about
    > 1500 to 2000 of dirt and tarmac miles at a rough guesstimate. How much mileage would anyone expect
    > from any other lubricant?

    That much or quite a bit more depending on make of chain and exact useage (strength of pedalling and
    cross-over gears used, etc) as well as possibly lubrication.

    I find WD40 or GT85 flings off and messes up wheels & frame when ridden, gets gritty and doesn't
    last long.

    ~PB

  14. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    Zog The Undeniable wrote:
    > 1/16th is the wear limit before you start to knacker sprockets and chainrings. 1500 to 2000 miles
    > isn't all that good unless you only ride offroad. I'd expect at least 5,000 if not 10,000.

    I don't deny that that is possible but I think it's atypical. 1500 to 3500 (on-road) is more like it
    with typical modern chain and use, I think. I've completely worn out a PC41 8sp chain in less than
    9000 miles so that it skips on original sprockets let alone got past the 1/16th point. (I now use
    9sp chain and replace at 1/16th but haven't been keeping track of mileage recently).

    I've got a feeling Shimano and Campagnolo chain lasts longer than SRAM but I haven't got any data to
    back that up yet. Certainly my Park chain checker measures less initial play from new with Campag C9
    compared to SRAM PC59 so I would guess the Campag should last longer (although more likely to skip
    on partly worn sprockets from new).

    ~PB

  15. Andyp

    Andyp Guest

    "Zog The Undeniable" <[email protected]> wrote

    > 1/16th is the wear limit before you start to knacker sprockets and chainrings. 1500 to 2000 miles
    > isn't all that good unless you only ride offroad. I'd expect at least 5,000 if not 10,000.

    As I said above my last bike had one new chain and cassette in 10 years of offroad and daily
    commuting in all weathers for the last 5 or 6. I didn't need new chainrings. If you're happy with
    average bottom of the range stuff...£10 for a chain and £15 for a cassette... I can't see the point
    in changing your chain when it reaches some arbitrary limit for the sake of not having to renew the
    cassette as well. Certainly not from a cost point of view. Why not let them wear together until you
    start actually getting problems which in my experience must be way past the 1/8th inch stage. (Or do
    they maybe wear so much and then stop or at least wear at a progressively slower rate as they become
    a looser fit?).

  16. Pete Biggs wrote:

    > I don't deny that that is possible but I think it's atypical. 1500 to 3500 (on-road) is more like
    > it with typical modern chain and use, I think.

    Possibly for 9 speed chain which seems rather lightweight. I haven't been able to evaluate the life
    of one of these as I only converted the bike from 7 speed rceently. At about £25 for a Dura-Ace
    chain I hope it lasts!

  17. Simon Brooke

    Simon Brooke Guest

    "AndyP" <[email protected]> writes:

    > "DSK" <[email protected]> wrote
    >
    > > I was just wandering, what chain lube is best to use on a road bike and what do you all use
    > > yourselves? Also, how oftend do you usually lube your chains?
    > >
    > > I'd prefer something that is not oily as oily stuff tends to fling off etc.
    >
    > I'm well aware of the "Ooh you don't wanna put WD40/GT85 stuff anywhere near your chain mate"
    > advice but that's all I ever used on my old bike and 1 new chain (and rear cassette) in 10 years
    > says it works to me. I didn't bother measuring any "stretch" but just ran the chain until it
    > started slipping and coming off. (More environmentally friendly and cheaper than throwing away
    > perfectly good chains that have probably still got plenty of life left in them just because they
    > don't measure a certain length, surely?)

    If you change them in time you don't have to change the cassette and chainrings as well, which has
    to have some environmental friendliness to it....

    do not sail on uphill water
    - Bill Lee

  18. ouch <> schreef ...

    > I chain my oil about once a month.

    How do you do that? ;-)

    --
    Regards, Marten

  19. Andyp

    Andyp Guest

    "Simon Brooke" <[email protected]> wrote

    > If you change them in time you don't have to change the cassette and chainrings as well, which has
    > to have some environmental friendliness to it....

    Hmm...one chain and one cassette versus 15 to 20 (?) chains if changed at
    1/16th of elongation. I reckon the environment would go for the first option.

  20. Frank X

    Frank X Guest

    "Pete Biggs" <pbiggmellon{remove_fruit}[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > > ....Halfords Chain Wax (same as Castrol's).....
    >
    > Note that this product is very slow to set so leave for at least several hours after application
    > before using, and wipe off excess.

    I tried this, but I seem to have to put loads on and even then the chain didn't appear to be very
    well lubricated. It seemed to me a bottle would only last a month or so.

    It would have been cheaper to never lubricate and buy a new chains every 2 or 3 months. . I gave up
    and went back to car engine oil It sprays a lot and gets dirty but it lubricates and lasts.