Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Chain Lube -- tried Ice Wax?

Started by Aztec · · Last activity · 11 posts · 2,061 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
19 October 2003
Last activity
5 December 2003
Original author
Aztec
Posts
11
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
2,061
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–11 of 11
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I'm curious to hear what you folks use to keep your drivetrains nice n' smooth. I grabbed a bottle of that Pedro's Ice Wax stuff and gave it a shot. Can't really tell a difference other than it doesn't seem to get so black and greasy. Campy Chorus, by the way.

    Thoughts?

  2. I only use the Ice Wax and other wax based lubes on my MTB. Think they are designed to flake off when dirt and grit gets on the chain. I also apply some after every ride.

    On my road bike I use White Lightening after every wet ride or once a week, sometimes twice depending on the milage.

    JR

  3. I use to hot wax my chains, but you go through a lot of hassles doing it. I've settled on a bi-weekly cleaning on the drive train (depending on my mileage) and applying a Teflon based dry lube. The only down side I see to this stuff is that it leaves a chalky white residue on the drive train, but as far as lubrication goes, it's much cheaper than White Lightening or Pedro's Ice Wax, and from what I can see, is every bit as good!

  4. I use a hot melt chainwax on my chains. I have a master link chain connector on my chain so it's no hassle taking the chain off. I have a small parts washer that I clean it with and then rinse it off with a soapy mixture with a compressed sprayer. After drying it with compressed air it's ready for the dunk in the wax. The whole process doesn't take long at all. Best part is your hands don't get dirty if you have a flat and go to take your chain off like they do with other lubes.

  5. Quoted post said:

    Originally posted by Cipher
    I use to hot wax my chains, but you go through a lot of hassles doing it. I've settled on a bi-weekly cleaning on the drive train (depending on my mileage) and applying a Teflon based dry lube. The only down side I see to this stuff is that it leaves a chalky white residue on the drive train, but as far as lubrication goes, it's much cheaper than White Lightening or Pedro's Ice Wax, and from what I can see, is every bit as good!

    What brand of teflon based dry lube do you use? I'm using the FinishLine Teflon now, and prefer it to Ice Wax, but always want to save money.....$5 for a 2 oz bottle from my LBS does seem a bit steep to me. Thanks.

    Dan

  6. Quoted post said:

    Originally posted by Aztec
    I grabbed a bottle of that Pedro's Ice Wax stuff and gave it a shot.

    Thoughts?

    Back on the original question, for us less-than-garagified readers in need of simpler lube solutions...

    talking mountain bikes, I have been a long-time devotee of Ice Wax and have recently switched to White Lightning. I made the switch because, IMHO, Ice Wax doesn't last long enough. Ten miles or so into a typical, dusty SoCal ride I need to re-lube... and more often than that if I cross any creeks. I took to bringing a bottle with me (which doesn't make for much of a burden).

    Looking for something that would last a little longer, I made the switch. and White does seem to function a little longer before disappearing.

    Despite this, I am going back to Ice Wax. Ice Wax (and its buildup) is much easier to clean off the chain after a ride (any bio degreaser will take it off, whereas removing wax and its gunky buildup takes something much gnarlier, like Oranj Peels or similar, powerful citrus degreasers), and in the end this ease of cleaning means I keep the chain running cleaner (and stronger) for a longer time.

    One of my mtbs gets ridden mostly on the street, where it isn't subjected to as much grime. Here, I'm still in search of something longer-lasting than Ice Wax (yet still "breakable" with regular bio-degreaser).

  7. What should I run on my road bike, then, since I ride for 20-50 miles?

  8. Quoted post said:

    Originally posted by dhk
    What brand of teflon based dry lube do you use? I'm using the FinishLine Teflon now, and prefer it to Ice Wax, but always want to save money.....$5 for a 2 oz bottle from my LBS does seem a bit steep to me. Thanks.

    Dan

    The stuff is called B'laster TDL. It comes in a 12oz. aerosol spray can, and I bought it at a big box type hardware chain store (Menards). I got it on sale for approx. $1.50/can, which will last for most of the summer. (I do apply it very liberally).

    Their web address is www.blasterproducts.com or call 800-858-6605.

  9. Quoted post said:

    Originally posted by Cipher
    The stuff is called B'laster TDL. It comes in a 12oz. aerosol spray can, and I bought it at a big box type hardware chain store (Menards). I got it on sale for approx. $1.50/can, which will last for most of the summer. (I do apply it very liberally).

    Their web address is www.blasterproducts.com or call 800-858-6605.

    Thanks, I'll look for that stuff. Did use that Tri-Flow aerosol in the past, and it can get kind of messy as you know....needs a quick wipedown before the next ride.

    Dan

  10. B'laster clean-up:

    I found this forum because I was researching the possibility of using B'laster to lube my chain. I just got my newly aquired used bike cleaned up, had only one lube in the house (not counting KY which I know is bad for bikes🙂), and I had no patience to wait till I found the perfect lube at a bike shop. I got the can of b'laster, read the whole thing, then found this forum online.

    Well if it wont hurt the bike, then I am using it till I find anything else I want to try.
    Found out how hard cleanup was.
    Then found a way to make it easier.

    Before ever touching soap and water, use a clean dry cloth or sturdy paper towel to remove all of the greasy mess from your hands, arms or where ever else, that you can remove in that fashion. Then soap down with a good dish soap, a little water, and use something like a nail cleaning brush to scrub the entire greasy area of hands and wherever else the stuff managed to get stuck to you. Still difficult to remove, but tons easier than than slopping on the soap and water before removing all the excess mess.

  11. Quoted post said:

    Originally posted by billo
    Back on the original question, for us less-than-garagified readers in need of simpler lube solutions...

    talking mountain bikes, I have been a long-time devotee of Ice Wax and have recently switched to White Lightning. I made the switch because, IMHO, Ice Wax doesn't last long enough. Ten miles or so into a typical, dusty SoCal ride I need to re-lube... and more often than that if I cross any creeks. I took to bringing a bottle with me (which doesn't make for much of a burden).

    Looking for something that would last a little longer, I made the switch. and White does seem to function a little longer before disappearing.

    Despite this, I am going back to Ice Wax. Ice Wax (and its buildup) is much easier to clean off the chain after a ride (any bio degreaser will take it off, whereas removing wax and its gunky buildup takes something much gnarlier, like Oranj Peels or similar, powerful citrus degreasers), and in the end this ease of cleaning means I keep the chain running cleaner (and stronger) for a longer time.

    One of my mtbs gets ridden mostly on the street, where it isn't subjected to as much grime. Here, I'm still in search of something longer-lasting than Ice Wax (yet still "breakable" with regular bio-degreaser).

    hmm, maybe i'm not paying proper attention, but i switched from WL to Ice Wax because i felt it lasted longer, especially in the wet. maybe need to retry the WL . . . i've got a half-full bottle around here somewhere . . .

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.