Chain malfunction - does SS or hub gear minimise chance of this

pfc

Feb 25, 2007
I'm a newbie and very non-tech. Ride an old, rigid frame mtb with derailer gears.

Had a nasty crash 3 weeks back - broken collar bone, rib and severe concussion. As far as I can ascertain (I can't remember due to head knock) the crash was caused by the chain coming off.

Had a bit of a look around and it seems that is a common cause of accident. http://www.nisu.flinders.edu.au/pubs/shortreps/bikes.html

I was thinking of shifting to a single speed or hub gear bike and just wondered whether any of the techies out there could advise whether either of those is likely to minimise the chance of chain malfunction.

Thanks in advance for any help.

The change would probably lessen the chances of a chain breaking simply because you are not putting the lateral stresses on the chain that you get with a derailer. These stresses, though, are minimal and the derailer chains are made to withstand them. Chains normally only fail if they are not maintained, not connected using the right pins/connector link, or not replaced long after they are badly worn.

pfc said:
I'm a newbie and very non-tech. Ride an old, rigid frame mtb with derailer gears.

Had a nasty crash 3 weeks back - broken collar bone, rib and severe concussion. As far as I can ascertain (I can't remember due to head knock) the crash was caused by the chain coming off.
Buy & wear a helmet!

thanks guys. as soon as the shoulder is healed i'm going for a test ride - interested to see whether i can make it up the hills.

helmet was on, it's the law here in oz. thank god for that too, otherwise severe concussion would have been severe brain splatter.

kdelong said:
The change would probably lessen the chances of a chain breaking simply because you are not putting the lateral stresses on the chain that you get with a derailer. These stresses, though, are minimal and the derailer chains are made to withstand them. Chains normally only fail if they are not maintained, not connected using the right pins/connector link, or not replaced long after they are badly worn.
+1.

Actually, are lateral stresses high enough to cause chain failure? In any case, lateral stress is large only if you are cross-chaining, and that is something to be avoided. Now, if the front derailleur is out of whack, the chain can fall off when shifting chainrings. But the worst injury will happen if you are standing up and sprinting when the chain snaps. But well maintained chains (that are not too worn) shouldn't snap...