Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Chain mileage, how far is too far?

Started by Earl Bollinger · · Last activity · 24 posts · 762 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
9 July 2006
Last activity
26 July 2006
Original author
Earl Bollinger
Posts
24
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
762
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 24
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I used to run some cheap chains and cheap rear cassettes and I would get
    maybe 500-600 miles off of them, sometimes nearly a thousand miles, before
    they stretched too much or the rear cassette was noticeably worn down. The
    dry Texas roads seem to have a lot of abrasive grit on them, not counting
    the rain storms and such too.
    So I decided to try a really good chain, mainly because it was coming up on
    winter and there might be a lot of rain and wet conditions on my commutes,
    so i had bought and installed a Wipperman 9sp stainless steel chain, along
    with a good Shimano rear cassette too.
    Anyway this morning I checked the chain and it was at the .75% wear point on
    my fancy Park Chain Checker Tool. But in my mileage logs I show me as having
    ridden a shade under 2,000 miles on this chain on my commuter bike. The rear
    cassette seems to look really good still too, almost like new still.
    So now I am torn between still running the chain more or putting on a new
    chain, even if it is a just in case thing.
    What do you all think?

  2. Earl Bollinger said:

    I used to run some cheap chains and cheap rear cassettes and I would get
    maybe 500-600 miles off of them, sometimes nearly a thousand miles, before
    they stretched too much or the rear cassette was noticeably worn down. The
    dry Texas roads seem to have a lot of abrasive grit on them, not counting
    the rain storms and such too.
    So I decided to try a really good chain, mainly because it was coming up on
    winter and there might be a lot of rain and wet conditions on my commutes,
    so i had bought and installed a Wipperman 9sp stainless steel chain, along
    with a good Shimano rear cassette too.
    Anyway this morning I checked the chain and it was at the .75% wear point on
    my fancy Park Chain Checker Tool. But in my mileage logs I show me as having
    ridden a shade under 2,000 miles on this chain on my commuter bike. The rear
    cassette seems to look really good still too, almost like new still.
    So now I am torn between still running the chain more or putting on a new
    chain, even if it is a just in case thing.
    What do you all think?

    Put a new chain on. A Sram PC 59 will do. A Wippermann stainless steel
    chain is a waste of money unless you have a very good deal.

    Lou
    --
    Posted by news://news.nb.nu

  3. "Lou Holtman" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Earl Bollinger said:

    I used to run some cheap chains and cheap rear cassettes and I would get
    maybe 500-600 miles off of them, sometimes nearly a thousand miles,
    before they stretched too much or the rear cassette was noticeably worn
    down. The dry Texas roads seem to have a lot of abrasive grit on them,
    not counting the rain storms and such too.
    So I decided to try a really good chain, mainly because it was coming up
    on winter and there might be a lot of rain and wet conditions on my
    commutes, so i had bought and installed a Wipperman 9sp stainless steel
    chain, along with a good Shimano rear cassette too.
    Anyway this morning I checked the chain and it was at the .75% wear point
    on my fancy Park Chain Checker Tool. But in my mileage logs I show me as
    having ridden a shade under 2,000 miles on this chain on my commuter
    bike. The rear cassette seems to look really good still too, almost like
    new still.
    So now I am torn between still running the chain more or putting on a new
    chain, even if it is a just in case thing.
    What do you all think?

    Put a new chain on. A Sram PC 59 will do. A Wippermann stainless steel
    chain is a waste of money unless you have a very good deal.

    Lou
    --
    Posted by news://news.nb.nu

    Yes the Wipperman chain was a really good deal a while ago, not anymore
    though.
    I guess I should have bought more than one of them at that time.
    They are very pricey at this time even if they do work beautifully.
    Yes I just so happen to have a new SRAM chain waiting to be used too.
    Thanks

  4. Hi,
    You're doing the right thing by checking the chain wear to determine when to
    change the chain. There are so many variables relating to riding conditions
    (wet, dry, dusty, gritty) etc. that affect wear that it is hard to predict
    what mileage you "should" expect.

    If you change the chain in time, before the wear becomes too severe, your
    cassette should be fine. I wouldn't change the cassette until it starts
    skipping when you put on a new chain.

    From what I read and hear (no empirical evidence to back this up), the
    quality of chain isn't a big factor in lifespan. The extra money buys a
    nicer finish and maybe more rust resistance, but these generally shouldn't
    affect lifespan unless you are under severe rust conditions.
    Lyle

    "Earl Bollinger" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I used to run some cheap chains and cheap rear cassettes and I would get
    maybe 500-600 miles off of them, sometimes nearly a thousand miles, before
    they stretched too much or the rear cassette was noticeably worn down. The
    dry Texas roads seem to have a lot of abrasive grit on them, not counting
    the rain storms and such too.
    So I decided to try a really good chain, mainly because it was coming up
    on winter and there might be a lot of rain and wet conditions on my
    commutes, so i had bought and installed a Wipperman 9sp stainless steel
    chain, along with a good Shimano rear cassette too.
    Anyway this morning I checked the chain and it was at the .75% wear point
    on my fancy Park Chain Checker Tool. But in my mileage logs I show me as
    having ridden a shade under 2,000 miles on this chain on my commuter bike.
    The rear cassette seems to look really good still too, almost like new
    still.
    So now I am torn between still running the chain more or putting on a new
    chain, even if it is a just in case thing.
    What do you all think?

  5. Earl Bollinger said:

    "Lou Holtman" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Earl Bollinger said:

    I used to run some cheap chains and cheap rear cassettes and I
    would get maybe 500-600 miles off of them, sometimes nearly a
    thousand miles, before they stretched too much or the rear cassette
    was noticeably worn down. The dry Texas roads seem to have a lot of
    abrasive grit on them, not counting the rain storms and such too.
    So I decided to try a really good chain, mainly because it was
    coming up on winter and there might be a lot of rain and wet
    conditions on my commutes, so i had bought and installed a
    Wipperman 9sp stainless steel chain, along with a good Shimano rear
    cassette too. Anyway this morning I checked the chain and it was at the
    .75% wear
    point on my fancy Park Chain Checker Tool. But in my mileage logs I
    show me as having ridden a shade under 2,000 miles on this chain on
    my commuter bike. The rear cassette seems to look really good still
    too, almost like new still.
    So now I am torn between still running the chain more or putting on
    a new chain, even if it is a just in case thing.
    What do you all think?

    Put a new chain on. A Sram PC 59 will do. A Wippermann stainless
    steel chain is a waste of money unless you have a very good deal.

    Lou
    --
    Posted by news://news.nb.nu

    Yes the Wipperman chain was a really good deal a while ago, not
    anymore though.
    I guess I should have bought more than one of them at that time.
    They are very pricey at this time even if they do work beautifully.
    Yes I just so happen to have a new SRAM chain waiting to be used too.
    Thanks

    Consider Wipperman ConneX 908 nickel-plated chains which are about half the
    price of the stainless ones. The stainless chain only has stainless
    plates... essentially useless.
    --
    Phil Lee, Squid


  6. Quoted message said:

    I used to run some cheap chains and cheap rear cassettes and I would get
    maybe 500-600 miles off of them, sometimes nearly a thousand miles, before
    they stretched too much or the rear cassette was noticeably worn down.

    I get 4000 miles on my 9sp SRAM chains, and 8000 miles on my Nashbar
    cassettes. 2 chains per cassette.

  7. Earl Bollinger said:

    Anyway this morning I checked the chain and it was at the .75% wear point on
    my fancy Park Chain Checker Tool. But in my mileage logs I show me as having
    ridden a shade under 2,000 miles on this chain on my commuter bike. The rear
    cassette seems to look really good still too, almost like new still.
    So now I am torn between still running the chain more or putting on a new
    chain, even if it is a just in case thing.
    What do you all think?

    Run the chain a couple more weeks while you get a replacement, then
    swap it out and keep going on the same cassette.

    That's JMO.
    --
    Typoes are a feature, not a bug.
    Some gardening required to reply via email.
    Words processed in a facility that contains nuts.

  8. Callistus Valerius said:
    Quoted message said:

    I used to run some cheap chains and cheap rear cassettes and I would get
    maybe 500-600 miles off of them, sometimes nearly a thousand miles, before
    they stretched too much or the rear cassette was noticeably worn down.

    I get 4000 miles on my 9sp SRAM chains, and 8000 miles on my Nashbar
    cassettes. 2 chains per cassette.

    Another Data point:

    10sp campagnolo

    3440 km's on the original campagnolo chain (snapped)
    9316 km's and counting on the current chain (obviously the cluster is
    getting replaced at the same time as this chain which is now
    'stretched' but still engaging correctly)

  9. My brother was in an abrasive environment and would melt paraffin in
    hot water on the stove, then drop the chain in that. Said it really
    helped make the chain last longer. Stainless steel is actually rather
    soft, so unless you are near water, I would go with something else.
    Tool steel can be very hard and tough, but has less chrome than
    stainless.

  10. Earl Bollinger said:

    Anyway this morning I checked the chain and it was at the .75% wear point on
    my fancy Park Chain Checker Tool. But in my mileage logs I show me as having

    I can't resist asking "What is being measured?"

    One common rule of thumb in motorcycling is to try lifting the tensioned
    chain off the sprocket near the center of the chain wrap. If it comes up
    more than half a tooth's height the chain and sprockets are due for
    replacement.

    Is there a corresponding measurement for bicycle chains? My bike chain
    flunks the motorcycle test but seems to work fine.

    Thanks for reading!

    bob prohaska

  11. bob prohaska's usenet account said:
    Earl Bollinger said:

    Anyway this morning I checked the chain and it was at the .75% wear point on
    my fancy Park Chain Checker Tool. But in my mileage logs I show me as having

    I can't resist asking "What is being measured?"

    One common rule of thumb in motorcycling is to try lifting the tensioned
    chain off the sprocket near the center of the chain wrap. If it comes up
    more than half a tooth's height the chain and sprockets are due for
    replacement.

    Is there a corresponding measurement for bicycle chains? My bike chain
    flunks the motorcycle test but seems to work fine.

    Thanks for reading!

    bob prohaska

    Dear Bob,

    A chain wears at the point where the pins meet the sideplate or
    bushing. The surfaces are worn by the abrasive sludge of extremely
    fine, hard road dust, the stuff kicked up by your tires that turns
    clean chain-oil black within a few miles.

    As the chain wears, it lengthens.

    (For fun, you can say that the chain stretches and see who posts the
    first or rudest correction.)

    The pins on bike chains are half an inch apart, center to center, so a
    ruler works well for measuring chain stretch--er, elongation.

    If the pin (or rivet) at the far end of a 12-inch ruler is right on
    the end, you have a new chain.

    If it's less than 1/16th of an inch beyond the ruler, fine.

    At 1/16th of an inch per 12 inches elongation, replace the chain
    before it starts devouring your sprockets.

    At 1/8th inch, your sprockets are probably in trouble.

    Beyond 1/8th inch, buy a new cassette when you buy the new chain, and
    check the prices on chain rings.

    If a new chain skips in a particular gear, replace the rear cog or the
    whole cassette. If it still skips, replace the chain rings. If it
    still skips, use a time machine to go back and adjust whatever was
    weird with your derailleurs or chain line.

    All this is explained more eloquently and in more detail, with good
    pictures, by Sheldon Brown:

    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/chains.html#wear

    Browse around Sheldon's site and glossary.

    The motorcycle test doesn't work too well, partly because you're
    lifting a motorcycle chain off a rear sprocket that's much larger than
    a typical rear bicycle sprocket, and partly because wider, heavier
    motorcycle chains are far less likely to skip and wear like bicycle
    chains.

    Cheers,

    Carl Fogel

  12. I go about 10k miles on a chain, for what that's worth, and then swap
    out freewheel and chain, and chainwheel if it's starting to pop off
    on hard starts.

    A stretched chain is an energy eater, in that you notice the difference,
    but not horrible, in that you don't notice it after a couple days on
    a new chain.

    It's a Huffy so chainwheels don't cost much, unless Huffy has decided
    to run their parts dept as a profit center suddenly, which is possible.

    A chainwheel (with cranks) is something like the cost of a chain, in
    fact.

    --
    Ron Hardin
    [email hidden]

    On the internet, nobody knows you're a jerk.

  13. "Ron Hardin" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I go about 10k miles on a chain, for what that's worth, and then swap
    out freewheel and chain, and chainwheel if it's starting to pop off
    on hard starts.

    That's a strange thing to say: ' I get 10 k miles out of a chain and then
    swap chain, cassette/freewheel and chainrings'.
    I thought the consensus is that if you swap a worn chain you don't have to
    swap the cassette and centainly not the chainrings.

    Lou

  14. Lou Holtman said:

    I thought the consensus is that if you swap a worn chain you don't have to
    swap the cassette

    If the chain is not worn much then no need to change the cassette. If
    the chain is worn a lot both should be changed.

    JT

    ****************************
    Remove "remove" to reply
    Visit http://www.jt10000.com
    ****************************

  15. "John Forrest Tomlinson" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Lou Holtman said:

    I thought the consensus is that if you swap a worn chain you don't have


    to

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    swap the cassette

    If the chain is not worn much then no need to change the cassette. If
    the chain is worn a lot both should be changed.

    If the chain is not worn much, no need to change the chain.

    Lou

  16. Lou Holtman said:


    "John Forrest Tomlinson" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Lou Holtman said:

    I thought the consensus is that if you swap a worn chain you don't have


    to

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    swap the cassette

    If the chain is not worn much then no need to change the cassette. If
    the chain is worn a lot both should be changed.

    If the chain is not worn much, no need to change the chain.

    Sure, it'll still perform fine but using it in that state will mean
    you'll be replacing the cassette too if you ride much more.

    JT

    ****************************
    Remove "remove" to reply
    Visit http://www.jt10000.com
    ****************************

  17. "John Forrest Tomlinson" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Lou Holtman said:


    "John Forrest Tomlinson" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    On Mon, 10 Jul 2006 11:23:32 +0200, "Lou Holtman"
    <[email hidden]> wrote:

    >I thought the consensus is that if you swap a worn chain you don't


    have

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    to

    Quoted message said:

    >swap the cassette

    If the chain is not worn much then no need to change the cassette. If
    the chain is worn a lot both should be changed.

    If the chain is not worn much, no need to change the chain.

    Sure, it'll still perform fine but using it in that state will mean
    you'll be replacing the cassette too if you ride much more.

    It all depends on your defenition of a worn chain. I replace my chain before
    I need to replace my (expensive) cassette too. After three chains I repalce
    my cassette.

    Lou

  18. res09c5t said:

    The extra money buys a
    nicer finish and maybe more rust resistance, but these generally shouldn't
    affect lifespan unless you are under severe rust conditions.

    Unless you are under severe rust conditions *and* you only ride the bike
    very occasionally. A beach-bike drenched in salt spray without lubrication
    still won't have chain rust formation be a lifespan issue, unless you let
    it get completely seized up with rust.

    Jasper

  19. IMO, You're doing well. Even with meticulous care. I get between 1500
    & 1700 miles on a Sram chain. Two chains per Cassette.

    Richard

    Earl Bollinger said:

    I used to run some cheap chains and cheap rear cassettes and I would get
    maybe 500-600 miles off of them, sometimes nearly a thousand miles, before
    they stretched too much or the rear cassette was noticeably worn down.
    What do you all think?

  20. Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I used to run some cheap chains and cheap rear cassettes and I would get
    maybe 500-600 miles off of them, sometimes nearly a thousand miles, before
    they stretched too much or the rear cassette was noticeably worn down.

    I wish someone had told me this *before* last weekend...

    My chain had about 8000 km on it (5000 miles or so). One of the links
    popped open, got caught in my rear derailer, and ripped it off the
    bike. Yay!

    And of course the derailer doesn't have a hanger and is mounted
    directly to the dropout, so when it came off it bent the dropout. Yay!

    And of course the dropout is glued into the frame, so it's back to the
    factory for it's replacement. They say it will be a month or $o before
    it come$ back. Yay!

    Next time the chain goes in 2500 km or less.

    Maury

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.