chain not sitting nicely on back wheel

stevechow

Mar 11, 2006
my chain after tuning now cannot sit nicely on the gear\wheel behind. all the gears 1-9 is affected. how to tune it back. it keeps 'kicking' every 10-20 cycles. :D :D please help.

stevechow said:
my chain after tuning now cannot sit nicely on the gear\wheel behind. all the gears 1-9 is affected. how to tune it back. it keeps 'kicking' every 10-20 cycles. :D :D please help.

When in the 5th cog in back, is the top derailleur pulley centered on the 5th cog? Also, is the RD cable moving smoothly? Is the cable guide under the BB clean? How old are the cables and housings?

stevechow said:

Tight link??

stevechow said:
Who tuned it? What was done? How old are the cassette and chain?

stevechow said:
To state the obvious, since we are all presuming you know HOW to "tune" the indexing, the chain should be a 9-speed chain ... using a significantly wider chain than intended by the engineers who designed the drivetrain is one way you can probably create the problem you are describing ...

A rear derailleur hanger that needs alignment is probably another way to create the problem you are describing.

alienator said:
When in the 5th cog in back, is the top derailleur pulley centered on the 5th cog? Also, is the RD cable moving smoothly? Is the cable guide under the BB clean? How old are the cables and housings?
yes top pulley centered. the word shimano 105 is straight line. cable new. run smooth. bike is new :D :D