Chain/Running gear cleaning

crees22

Dec 15, 2003
Howdie Partners!!!!

Whats the best way to clean up the chain and the gears etc.. Last couple of times ive been degreasing it with WD40 but only with adequate results, I also have to use about a billion gallons of it aswell. Theres always a slight dirty residue left even after a good old cleaning, is there a better way of going about this?

Cheers... mr Chris

The best way is always the meticulous way. I take then chain off the bike and then soak it in a shallow metallic pan filled with a citrus cleaner. Use an old brush to work in all the nooks and crannies to get all that gunk off.

Dispose of the original fluid and rinse using more cleaner. Use a rag and wipe off the excess liquid and check the links and lightly spray with WD-40 or equivalent to displace any water from the cleaner.

Some process is used for the cassette and chainwheel. Jockey wheels of the rear derailler can be brushed with cleaner remove the dirt.

Dun forget to lube everything upon assembly....

Take a look www.pedros.com and look up the "ice wax" product.
Its a wax based chain lube. You can apply it over the oil and it will displace it, the **** can then be wiped off with a rag. This is simplistic but read the Pedros blurb and you'll see.
The wax lube will work much better than wd40 etc. For a new chain Pedros reckon you'll double the life if the cahin by using their stuff.

Once you have this stuff running your chain, its simply a matter of wiping it down with a rag and re-applying . The cranks etc will also just wipe off.

Doesn't leave oil stains on your clothes or legs and washes off in water - Does wash off the bike in water also so re-apply after rain.

OK......ready for this?

If the chain is really dirty and gunked up(rarely gets like this) I use WD40 as a degreaser. Take an old sock and put it on your hand. Grab the chain with the socked hand and spin the crank with the other hand.

I then further clean the chain with a diluted mix of Pedros Oranj Peelz, a citrus degreaser by using an old toothbrush. Wipe off with the hand/sock routine.

OK...this is where it gets tedious.Once/twice a month(depending on milage) I will cut thin strips of an old sock and literally "floss" each link to clean out the gunk inside each link. :eek:

Yeah....I know. Crazy huh? Rinse and apply lube.........with Pedros Liquid X dry lube. Really good stuff.

My theory is if you clean your drivetrain more often it actually becomes quick and easy.

I also clean the cassette regularly using the same stuff....wd 40, OP and toothbrush. Cleaning your chain but not the cassette is like washing your car but not the tires. Just doesn`t look right.