Chain Sizing

hwttdz

Sep 28, 2003
How do I determine the length my chain should be? Right now I'm thinking putting both front and rear on the largest rings and adding an inch to a taught chain.

Originally posted by hwttdz
How do I determine the length my chain should be? Right now I'm thinking putting both front and rear on the largest rings and adding an inch to a taught chain.

There are several methods, but the simplest and best all around method I've found for road drivetrains is:

The best technique for setting chain length is to thread the chain onto the large/large combination, without running it through the rear derailer. Mesh the two ends on to the large chainwheel so that they could be connected (outer link meets inner link), then make the chain one complete link (one inch) longer than that. In almost all cases, this will give the optimum length.

excerpted from
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/derailer-adjustment.html#chain

chainlength-fits.jpg

Ok I'm going to go for that, bit apprehensive about the whole thing, but I'm sure it'll work out.

Originally posted by hwttdz
Ok I'm going to go for that, bit apprehensive about the whole thing, but I'm sure it'll work out.
Ya think Sheldon does not know his stuff. Chains aren't rocket science. www.parktool.com also has good stuff in repair section.

Well it sort of worked out, the chain is the right length. I continue the chronicle in "bobbing rear deraileur" or some other similarly titled thread.

Oh I never doubted anyone else not knowing what they were doing. I was apprehensive about not knowing was I was doing. I was looking for a way that was easy so I didn't screw it up, I'm nervous about messing things up because I don't want to drop money to buy parts that I've broken installing incorrectly.