Chain Suck and Chain Ring Replacement

Carnold

Guest
Over the last couple of weeks my bicycle with about 5,000
miles on it has developed a serious case of chain suck when
using the inner chainring. The bike has 105 components and
is a triple chainring by 9sp.

The first attempt to solve the problem was a good cleaning
and oiling of the chain, which didn't work. Next attempt
was to replace the chain, and of course this didn't work.
I've since read that the fix is to replace the chainring.
Is this correct?

And a few more questions:

1. In addition to the inner chainring should the middle and
outer be replaced at the same time?

2. Will Ultegra chainrings fit the 105 crank? Will the
Ultegra parts last any longer? Are there advantages other
than lightening the billfold?

3. Given that the bike has about 5,000 miles in the last
year (yes I'm averaging 100 miles a week), what else is
about to need replacing or repairing? How long do
cassettes last?

Thanks for the help in advance,

C.

In article <[email protected]>, carnold <[email protected]> wrote:
>Over the last couple of weeks my bicycle with about 5,000
>miles on it has developed a serious case of chain suck when
>using the inner chainring. The bike has 105 components and
>is a triple chainring by 9sp.
>
>The first attempt to solve the problem was a good cleaning
>and oiling of the chain, which didn't work. Next attempt
>was to replace the chain, and of course this didn't work.
>I've since read that the fix is to replace the chainring.
>Is this correct?

It is one possible fix yes, and one of the easier ones to
try.

>And a few more questions:
>
>1. In addition to the inner chainring should the middle
> and outer be replaced at the same time?

Not necessary.

>2. Will Ultegra chainrings fit the 105 crank?

Yes 100% interchangeable.

Aluminum granny rings are more likely to develop burrs than
the larger rings, using a stainless steel small ring can
sometimes help with intractable chain suck problems.

> Will the Ultegra parts last any longer? Are there
> advantages other than lightening the billfold?

Probably marginal if any. I have a dim recollection of
Ultegra rings being heat treated and cheaper ones not, but
I'm not sure if that's still true.

>3. Given that the bike has about 5,000 miles in the last
> year (yes I'm averaging 100 miles a week), what else is
> about to need replacing or repairing? How long do
> cassettes last?

That depends partly on how frequently you replace the chain.
If you are aggressive about replacing the chain, the cogs
will last longer. Exact mileage you'll get from a cassette
varies a lot based on the rider, which cogs are used the
most, weather conditions, cleanliness, etc. It is possible
to wear out a 105 cassette in 5000 miles but usually you'll
get a lot more than that.

--Paul

Originally posted by Carnold
[...]

1. You don't need to replace the outer ring.
"Chain suck is commonly caused by bent chainring teeth, dirty chains, or, occasionally, burrs on the teeth of new chainwheels."
per Sheldon Brown.... also at Sheldon's site is a suggestion of a site:
http://fagan.co.za/Bikes/Csuck/
Go there first before buying anything.

2. Ultegra will fit and work fine, but so will 105 at a lower cost.
Ultegra won't last longer.

3. Too many things to cover here, but you can visit Sheldon Brown's site and Park Tool site repair section to pick up many suggestions. I also think that a good bicycle repair manual and your bicycle owner's manual are good places to start.

"carnold" <[email protected]> schreef in bericht
news:[email protected]...
> Over the last couple of weeks my bicycle with about 5,000
> miles on it has developed a serious case of chain suck
> when using the inner chainring.
The
> bike has 105 components and is a triple chainring by 9sp.
>
> The first attempt to solve the problem was a good cleaning
> and oiling of
the
> chain, which didn't work. Next attempt was to replace the
> chain, and of course this didn't work. I've since read
> that the fix is to replace the chainring. Is this correct?
>
> And a few more questions:
>
> 1. In addition to the inner chainring should the middle
> and outer be replaced at the same time?
>
> 2. Will Ultegra chainrings fit the 105 crank? Will the
> Ultegra parts last any longer? Are there advantages
> other than lightening the billfold?
>
> 3. Given that the bike has about 5,000 miles in the last
> year (yes I'm averaging 100 miles a week), what else is
> about to need replacing or repairing? How long do
> cassettes last?
>
> Thanks for the help in advance,
>
> C.

You may want to look carefully for burrs on your chainrings.
Use both they eye and fingers to locate them If they are
there you can file (almost polish) the burrs very carefully
to remove them.

Bert L.

--
Posted by news://news.nb.nu