Chainring question

guzekre

Sep 4, 2003
I have a FSA gossamer double on my cross bike. Due to stupidities on my part, I screwed up my inner chainring. I was wondering if I could replace the chainring with a Shimano 105 or comparable? I mean aren't we only concerned about the five bolt pattern? Does the width of the ring vary or is it standard?

Thnx :confused:

guzekre said:
I have a FSA gossamer double on my cross bike. Due to stupidities on my part, I screwed up my inner chainring. I was wondering if I could replace the chainring with a Shimano 105 or comparable? I mean aren't we only concerned about the five bolt pattern? Does the width of the ring vary or is it standard?

Thnx :confused:
I'm not familiar with the FSA cranks, but check the bolt circle diameter (BCD) with the Shimano chainrings, or else the mounting bolts may not line up properly. No need to worry about the thickness (width) of the chainring.

e_guevara said:
I'm not familiar with the FSA cranks, but check the bolt circle diameter (BCD) with the Shimano chainrings, or else the mounting bolts may not line up properly. No need to worry about the thickness (width) of the chainring.

Thanks alot for the tid bit. Doing some quick research they both match up (130mm). I was wondering if the number of teeth makes a difference as well?

guzekre said:
Thanks alot for the tid bit. Doing some quick research they both match up (130mm). I was wondering if the number of teeth makes a difference as well?
Nope, it does not. :D

need11@46 said:
It certainly does if you want to retain the same gear ratios.
The answer was pertaining to installation issues.

The number of teeth do aid in gear development. There are however redundant ratios, depending on the chainring/sprocket combination. See Sheldon Brown's page about gear ratios and gear development for more info.

e_guevara said:

The number of teeth do aid in gear development. There are however redundant ratios, depending on the chainring/sprocket combination. See Sheldon Brown's page about gear ratios and gear development for more info.

So like what if my only concern was getting my bike back together again, so that I could ride it. Would having a crank with different number of teeth effect my performance, like causing crappy shifting or causing my chain to skip?

guzekre said:
So like what if my only concern was getting my bike back together again, so that I could ride it. Would having a crank with different number of teeth effect my performance, like causing crappy shifting or causing my chain to skip?
Double chainrings come in combinations of 52 or 53 for the biggest ring and 42 or 39 for the smaller ring. I see no reason for the chain to skip or the shifting to be crappy if the ring was installed properly.

e_guevara said:
Double chainrings come in combinations of 52 or 53 for the biggest ring and 42 or 39 for the smaller ring. I see no reason for the chain to skip or the shifting to be crappy if the ring was installed properly.

For some reason my double is a 38/48. I double checked this by counting the teeth myself. So if I was to swap this 38 with a 39 that would be ok right? Sorry to beat this to death

guzekre said:
For some reason my double is a 38/48. I double checked this by counting the teeth myself. So if I was to swap this 38 with a 39 that would be ok right? Sorry to beat this to death
Yes. I see no reason for it not to.

e_guevara said:

Perhaps, but your original response was incomplete. This response provides a complete and accurate answer to the entire matter. Thanks.