Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Change GripShift to Shimano?

Started by Kgf · · Last activity · 11 posts · 1,551 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
16 September 2003
Last activity
19 September 2003
Original author
Kgf
Posts
11
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,551
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–11 of 11
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I'm looking at a closeout 2003 hybrid bike that has SRAM 9 speed gripshifts. What type of non-grip
    shifts should I be looking at to replace them with?

    The bike has a Shimano T201 front detailer and a SRAM 5.0 rear, as well as Tektro brake levers. Is
    is dumb to assume something like a Shimano Deore LX or XT 9 speed shifter would be compatible?

  2. The front derailer is compatable, but the SRAM 5.0 rear is ESP and only compatable with GripShift.
    So you would have to get a new rear derailer.

    Try the gripshift for a month or two, you might just like it and save a lot of money in the process.

    -josh

    "kgf" <[email hidden]> wrote in message "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I'm looking at a closeout 2003 hybrid bike that has SRAM 9 speed


    gripshifts.

    Quoted message said:

    What type of non-grip shifts should I be looking at to replace them with?

    The bike has a Shimano T201 front detailer and a SRAM 5.0 rear, as well as Tektro brake levers. Is
    is dumb to assume something like a Shimano Deore


    LX

    Quoted message said:

    or XT 9 speed shifter would be compatible?

  3. "Kurd" <[email hidden],net> wrote in message "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    The front derailer is compatable, but the SRAM 5.0 rear is ESP and only compatable with GripShift.
    So you would have to get a new rear derailer.

    Try the gripshift for a month or two, you might just like it and save a


    lot

    Quoted message said:

    of money in the process.

    -josh

    Yeah, I'd agree. I'm no fan of GripShift for a long time, but some people swear by it. If you
    haven't tried it, give it a go and see if you get along with it. If not, then spend some money on
    switching to STI. The only thing that would change my opinion about this is if the shop you're
    buying from agreed to split some costs with you on switching to STI for you. If this is a job you
    can do yourself, consider what it will cost you to do it that way as opposed to having the dealer
    slice in labour costs etc. If he's unwilling to help out in any way, try the GripShift.

    Cheers,

    Scott..

  4. "kgf" <[email hidden]> wrote in message "]news:[email hidden]...
    | I'm looking at a closeout 2003 hybrid bike that has SRAM 9 speed
    gripshifts.
    | What type of non-grip shifts should I be looking at to replace them with?
    |
    | The bike has a Shimano T201 front detailer and a SRAM 5.0 rear, as well as Tektro brake levers. Is
    | is dumb to assume something like a Shimano Deore
    LX
    | or XT 9 speed shifter would be compatible?

    I never much cared for the gripshifts, as they remind me too much of walmart/target stocked bikes.
    Every MTB (and hybrid) I own have components from the Deore line. It's just personal taste really.
    The gear displays seem easier to eyeball while riding fast. My favorite thing about them though is
    their down/up-shift layout next to the brake levers. I feel like I have more control with a thumb on
    the upshift, a finger on the downshift, and a finger or two on the brake levers

    I've tried the gripshifts (to give them a chance) and they seem to cause problems (for me at least)
    since moving fast between gears can cause your hand to move into a weird position causing you to
    readjust your hand properly on the grips to reach the brake levers. I had one friend crash (small)
    while using gripshifts and ran into a pedestrian on a trail since he couldn't reach his brake levers
    (but maybe he just had a [censored] shift/lever layout).

    If you do stick to gripshifts, look into good-traction handlebar grips (like the Specialized
    Transparent Gel ones [which aren't being made anymore =(]) to keep your hands from sliding
    up or down.

  5. It's always worth asking the bike shop if they'll do a swap for you. I did this a few years ago when buying a hybrid for commuting. The bike shop happily swapped them out and replaced with Shimano rapid-fire for free.

    At the very least they might give you a credit on the gripshift stuff.

  6. Quoted post said:

    Originally posted by Kurd
    The front derailer is compatable, but the SRAM 5.0 rear is ESP and only compatable with GripShift.
    So you would have to get a new rear derailer.

    Try the gripshift for a month or two, you might just like it and save a lot of money in the process.

    -josh

    Why are the ESP 5.0 der's is incompatible with non-grip shiifters?

  7. Why change? SRAM works (at least at the 9.0 and XO level) where my ShimaNO (XT and XTR) never did.
    Don't listen to the marketers, ShimaNO is not the be all and end all.

    Jon

    "kgf" <[email hidden]> wrote in message "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I'm looking at a closeout 2003 hybrid bike that has SRAM 9 speed


    gripshifts.

    Quoted message said:

    What type of non-grip shifts should I be looking at to replace them with?

    The bike has a Shimano T201 front detailer and a SRAM 5.0 rear, as well as Tektro brake levers. Is
    is dumb to assume something like a Shimano Deore


    LX

    Quoted message said:

    or XT 9 speed shifter would be compatible?

  8. [email hidden] schreef ...

    Quoted message said:

    Why change? SRAM works (at least at the 9.0 and XO level) where my ShimaNO (XT and XTR) never did.
    Don't listen to the marketers, ShimaNO is not the be all and end all.

    Perhaps the poster wishes to change because he doesn't like the twist shifting? I sympathize with
    him and have extensive experience with both Rapidfire and GripShift. But it's mainly a matter of
    preference, not of "one is technically better than the other".

    --
    Regards, Marten

  9. [email hidden] schreef ...

    Quoted message said:

    The front derailer is compatable, but the SRAM 5.0 rear is ESP and only compatable with GripShift.
    So you would have to get a new rear derailer.

    He should get the new Trigger Shifters from "chez SRAM". These will work with the 5.0 derailleur.

    Quoted message said:

    Try the gripshift for a month or two, you might just like it and save a lot of money in the
    process.

    That's true.

    --
    Regards, Marten

  10. I think thats just in Germany. I'm looking at the dealers QBP website right now- they have a couple
    different SRAM trigger shifters. Retail between $60-100.

    -josh

    "Qui si parla Campagnolo" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    mmhoff-<< He should get the new Trigger Shifters from "chez SRAM". These


    will

    Quoted message said:

    work with the 5.0 derailleur. >><BR><BR>

    Aren't these on hold as the shimano lawyers go toe to toe with SRAM? The lawsuit was filed about
    three days before Euro-Bike so SRAM couldn't


    put

    Quoted message said:

    their stuff in the show-nice timing but not surprising.

    Peter Chisholm Vecchio's Bicicletteria 1833 Pearl St. Boulder, CO, 80302
    (303)440-3535 vecchios.comvecchios.com "Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"

  11. [email hidden] schreef ...

    Quoted message said:

    I think thats just in Germany. I'm looking at the dealers QBP website right now- they have a
    couple different SRAM trigger shifters. Retail between $60-100.

    Correct, in Germany only. My contact at SRAM over here in the Netherlands confirmed this.

    --
    Regards, Marten

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.