Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

changing bands on my derailleur

Started by Kent · · Last activity · 6 posts · 901 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
28 January 2004
Last activity
30 January 2004
Original author
Kent
Posts
6
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
901
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–6 of 6
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Just bought a used triple front derailleur and it has the wrong size band on it (think the guy
    pulled a fast one on me..oh well). I was wondering if a person could buy a replacement band for the
    same derailleur. It is a Shimano 105 FD-5504 and has a 28.6 band on it now (silver and should have
    been black) bit I need one for 31.8 (hopefully black). Does anyone know if you can buy the band
    separately...and if so, where? Thanks for looking and any help that can be provided.

    cheers Kent

  2. kentiger-<< I was wondering if a person could buy a replacement band for the same derailleur. It is
    a Shimano 105 FD-5504 and has a 28.6 band on it now (silver and should have been black) bit I need
    one for 31.8 (hopefully black). Does anyone know if you can buy the band separately. >><BR><BR>

    AKAIK this front der is clampon in 28.6mm only and the 31.8 is actually a brazeon onto a shimano
    clamp, that is the 31.8..

    Peter Chisholm Vecchio's Bicicletteria 1833 Pearl St. Boulder, CO, 80302
    (303)440-3535 vecchios.comvecchios.com "Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"

  3. the only way you can replace the band is if you have one of the braze-on types with the seperate
    band attachment. if the band is integrated, you can't change it.

    regarding getting the size you want, your lbs should be able to order one for you because
    shimano /do/ make them with different sized bands. alternatively, online retailers like
    nashbar.com have them.

    jb

    Kent said:

    Just bought a used triple front derailleur and it has the wrong size band on it (think the guy
    pulled a fast one on me..oh well). I was wondering if a person could buy a replacement band for
    the same derailleur. It is a Shimano 105 FD-5504 and has a 28.6 band on it now (silver and should
    have been black) bit I need one for 31.8 (hopefully black). Does anyone know if you can buy the
    band separately...and if so, where? Thanks for looking and any help that can be provided.

    cheers Kent

  4. Thanks for the replies Peter and Jim. I have the derailleur in my hand and it seems the band, while
    not intended for the purpose, was separated from the main body by way of two bolts (one completely
    removeable and one fixed to the arm assembly) using a 2.5mm allen key. Why I know this is because
    the person who shipped it to me removed the band so it would fit in a standard USPS 2x5x9" cardboard
    box when wrapped in bubble wrap. Seems the person who sold it to me decided they wanted to keep the
    original black band that goes with this derailleur and swapped it out for a silver one. I have used
    one of the braze on/clamp on conversions before and I don't think this is going to be the case with
    this one as I see the triple band der. can be bought in both 28.6 and 31.8 as well. My thought
    was...since the person who shipped it to me was able to remove (and subsequently swap out) the
    original 28.6 band, it might be possible to buy the 31.8 band (in black since the reason for getting
    this der had everything to do with the fact that it matched the colours on my picky wifes
    bike)..undo the two bolts..and bolt in the new band. I've seen a few der and know that this is
    something that I have never seen possible before as most der bolts (also are pivot bolts) are
    actually pin and snap ring combos. This one seems different. Does, Shimano (the kings of planned
    obsolescence), sell the bands separately? cheers Kent

  5. kentiger-<< I was wondering if a person could buy a replacement band for the same derailleur. It is
    a Shimano 105 FD-5504 and has a 28.6 band on it now (silver and should have been black) bit I need
    one for 31.8 (hopefully black). Does anyone know if you can buy the band separately. >>

    A look at the shimano parts book shows that the 5504 front der is available in
    28.6 or brazeon only, in silver or black. There is no part number for the clamp assembly, so not
    available as a small part, AFAIK..

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    <BR><BR>

    Peter Chisholm Vecchio's Bicicletteria 1833 Pearl St. Boulder, CO, 80302
    (29)440-3535 vecchios.comvecchios.com "Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"

  6. hmm. data disconnect...

    nashbar.comprofile.cfm
    nashbar.comprofile.cfm

    both double & triple in multiple band sizes

    looks cheap & nasty, but this braze-on band is also available in multiple sizes: nashbar-nashbar-
    .com/profile.cfm?category=83&subcategory=1038&brand=&sku=2189&storetype=&estoreid=

    i think you've just confirmed my suspicion that there's not enough distibutors out there for
    competition to make sure they stay awake for the needs of the good lbs.

    jb

    Qui si parla Campagnolo said:

    kentiger-<< I was wondering if a person could buy a replacement band for the same derailleur. It
    is a Shimano 105 FD-5504 and has a 28.6 band on it now (silver and should have been black) bit I
    need one for 31.8 (hopefully black). Does anyone know if you can buy the band separately. >>

    A look at the shimano parts book shows that the 5504 front der is available in
    28.6 or brazeon only, in silver or black. There is no part number for the clamp assembly, so not
    available as a small part, AFAIK..

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    <BR><BR>

    Peter Chisholm Vecchio's Bicicletteria 1833 Pearl St. Boulder, CO, 80302
    (303)440-3535 vecchios.comvecchios.com "Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.