UK and Europe · Public discussion

Charity Rides Supplement in C+

Started by Not Responding · · Last activity · 8 posts · 377 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
UK and Europe
Published
27 March 2005
Last activity
29 March 2005
Original author
Not Responding
Posts
8
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
377
Views / 30 days
4

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–8 of 8
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Anyone else see the glossy charity rides supplement in C+. I've never
    seen such a brimming collection of perfectly sunny days and smiling
    cyclists. I'm all for getting people out on bikes but it did rather
    strike me as verging on the mis-selling. But then I suppose a picture of
    road grimed audaxers at the end of a 200 into a howling gale of sleet
    and rain might be being a bit too honest.

  2. "Not Responding" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Anyone else see the glossy charity rides supplement in C+. I've never
    seen such a brimming collection of perfectly sunny days and smiling
    cyclists. I'm all for getting people out on bikes but it did rather
    strike me as verging on the mis-selling. But then I suppose a picture of
    road grimed audaxers at the end of a 200 into a howling gale of sleet
    and rain might be being a bit too honest.

    Yebut they'd still be smiling.

  3. Not Responding said:

    Anyone else see the glossy charity rides supplement in C+. I've never
    seen such a brimming collection of perfectly sunny days and smiling
    cyclists. I'm all for getting people out on bikes but it did rather
    strike me as verging on the mis-selling. But then I suppose a picture
    of road grimed audaxers at the end of a 200 into a howling gale of
    sleet and rain might be being a bit too honest.

    Haven't seen it, but one can't expect anything as tawdry as realism in a
    glossy wossname. One has only to look at adverts for kitchens, bathroom
    suites etc. Were they at all realistic then the average UK house would be
    roughly the size of Blenheim Palace...

    --

    Dave Larrington - http://www.legslarry.beerdrinkers.co.uk/
    World Domination?
    Just find a world that's into that kind of thing, then chain to the
    floor and walk up and down on it in high heels. (Mr. Sunshine)

  4. Not Responding said:

    Anyone else see the glossy charity rides supplement in C+. I've never

    Quoted message said:

    seen such a brimming collection of perfectly sunny days and smiling
    cyclists. I'm all for getting people out on bikes but it did rather
    strike me as verging on the mis-selling. But then I suppose a picture


    of

    Quoted message said:

    road grimed audaxers at the end of a 200 into a howling gale of sleet

    Quoted message said:

    and rain might be being a bit too honest.

    Of course if you were getting a free holiday paid for by people's
    charity donations you'd be smiling!

  5. MartinM said:
    Not Responding said:

    Anyone else see the glossy charity rides supplement in C+. I've never

    Quoted message said:

    seen such a brimming collection of perfectly sunny days and smiling
    cyclists. I'm all for getting people out on bikes but it did rather
    strike me as verging on the mis-selling. But then I suppose a picture

    of

    Quoted message said:

    road grimed audaxers at the end of a 200 into a howling gale of sleet

    Quoted message said:

    and rain might be being a bit too honest.

    Of course if you were getting a free holiday paid for by people's
    charity donations you'd be smiling!

    I was part of a team that raised several hundred pounds at last year's
    London to Brighton. It was a good day, but not exactly a "free holiday".

    I know what you're referring to, but there's no need to be cynical about
    *all* charity rides.

    As an added benefit, forming our 15-strong L2B team got a few friends
    interested in cycling and they've kept it up.

    --
    jc

    Remove the -not from email

  6. Jeremy Collins said:
    MartinM said:
    Not Responding said:

    Anyone else see the glossy charity rides supplement in C+. I've


    never

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    seen such a brimming collection of perfectly sunny days and smiling
    cyclists. I'm all for getting people out on bikes but it did rather
    strike me as verging on the mis-selling. But then I suppose a


    picture

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:


    of

    Quoted message said:

    road grimed audaxers at the end of a 200 into a howling gale of


    sleet

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    and rain might be being a bit too honest.

    Of course if you were getting a free holiday paid for by people's
    charity donations you'd be smiling!

    I was part of a team that raised several hundred pounds at last


    year's

    Quoted message said:

    London to Brighton. It was a good day, but not exactly a "free


    holiday".

    Quoted message said:


    I know what you're referring to, but there's no need to be cynical


    about

    Quoted message said:

    *all* charity rides.

    As an added benefit, forming our 15-strong L2B team got a few friends
    interested in cycling and they've kept it up.

    I was not having a go at anyone doing the one day rides; I have done
    L2B myself 10 times and it costs a lot to ride it, but it's worth it.
    What I object to is companies like bike events who cream off some of
    the sponsorship to pay for the organising costs.

  7. Quoted message said:

    road grimed audaxers at the end of a 200 into a howling gale of sleet

    Quoted message said:

    and rain might be being a bit too honest.

    Yebut they'd still be smiling.

    only if it "was" at the end ;-)

  8. Not Responding <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    Anyone else see the glossy charity rides supplement in C+. I've never
    seen such a brimming collection of perfectly sunny days and smiling
    cyclists. I'm all for getting people out on bikes but it did rather
    strike me as verging on the mis-selling. But then I suppose a picture of
    road grimed audaxers at the end of a 200 into a howling gale of sleet
    and rain might be being a bit too honest.

    On roughly the same subject... I've gone on numerous cycling trips to
    Scotland, inevitably returning with photos showing lovely deep blue
    skies. My wife, however, has apparently never witnessed a such a
    phenomenon north of the English border. She's even accused me of using
    photoshop to sex them up.

    It's not hard to see why magazines favour sunshiny skies and faces,
    but I tend to agree, it does grate.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.