Cheap large steel frame and forks

Hi all. I'm looking to build up a very cheap single speed road bike
for going to the pub and shops and generally rolling around on.

I got a very cheap ($35) donor bike from a local Op-Shop. It's got Dia
Compe brakes, some non-make cranks (which will do for now), nice-ish
bars and stem, I have a seat and post from an older bike. The wheels
are good but need a bit of maintenance and a Single speed conversion
kit put on (Gusset and DMR do fairly cheap kits). I have all other
parts apart from new bartape, bearings etc...

The problem is I'm 6 foot 6 ish (200cm) and the frame on the donor
bike is 22-23" so too small for me. Does anyone know where I may be
able to get a cheap steel frame to fit me from? I've been trawling
ebay in my local area for some time but to little success. Is there
anywhere else I should be looking?

Anyone have something they want to sell me? Remember cheapness is key.
Oh and I'm in Melbourne.

Cheers all.

[email protected] wrote:
> Hi all. I'm looking to build up a very cheap single speed road bike
> for going to the pub and shops and generally rolling around on.
>
> I got a very cheap ($35) donor bike from a local Op-Shop. It's got Dia
> Compe brakes, some non-make cranks (which will do for now), nice-ish
> bars and stem, I have a seat and post from an older bike. The wheels
> are good but need a bit of maintenance and a Single speed conversion
> kit put on (Gusset and DMR do fairly cheap kits). I have all other
> parts apart from new bartape, bearings etc...
>
> The problem is I'm 6 foot 6 ish (200cm) and the frame on the donor
> bike is 22-23" so too small for me. Does anyone know where I may be
> able to get a cheap steel frame to fit me from? I've been trawling
> ebay in my local area for some time but to little success. Is there
> anywhere else I should be looking?
>
> Anyone have something they want to sell me? Remember cheapness is key.
> Oh and I'm in Melbourne.
>
> Cheers all.

I believe that Hard Rubbish Season is either underway or about to
start in your part of the world. There were rich pickings available
around Glen Waverley last year, from a bicycle point of view. ;-)

http://www.monash.vic.gov.au/maps/static/waste/annual.htm

BTH

On Jul 15, 11:28 pm, "[email protected]" <[email protected]> wrote:
> Hi all. I'm looking to build up a very cheap single speed road bike
> for going to the pub and shops and generally rolling around on.
>
> I got a very cheap ($35) donor bike from a local Op-Shop. It's got Dia
> Compe brakes, some non-make cranks (which will do for now), nice-ish
> bars and stem, I have a seat and post from an older bike. The wheels
> are good but need a bit of maintenance and a Single speed conversion
> kit put on (Gusset and DMR do fairly cheap kits). I have all other
> parts apart from new bartape, bearings etc...
>
> The problem is I'm 6 foot 6 ish (200cm) and the frame on the donor
> bike is 22-23" so too small for me. Does anyone know where I may be
> able to get a cheap steel frame to fit me from? I've been trawling
> ebay in my local area for some time but to little success. Is there
> anywhere else I should be looking?
>
> Anyone have something they want to sell me? Remember cheapness is key.
> Oh and I'm in Melbourne.
>
> Cheers all.

Oh, or you could visit the bike shed at Ceres in Brunswick:

http://www.ceres.org.au/community/onsitegroups.html#bg

BTH

[email protected] wrote:

> Anyone have something they want to sell me? Remember cheapness is key.
> Oh and I'm in Melbourne.

I thought Melbourne had a wealth of "bicycle recyling" centres.

> The problem is I'm 6 foot 6 ish (200cm) and the frame on the donor
> bike is 22-23" so too small for me. Does anyone know where I may be
> able to get a cheap steel frame to fit me from? I've been trawling
> ebay in my local area for some time but to little success. Is there
> anywhere else I should be looking?
>
> Anyone have something they want to sell me? Remember cheapness is key.
> Oh and I'm in Melbourne.
>
> Cheers all.

As a similar sized gorilla (195cm) I can empathise with you. I've been
looking for a 60cm+ steel frame for a while now, and they just don't
come up very often. Off the shelf jobs are limited size wise (yes, I
know Rivendell do large off the shelf frames) and custom jobbies are
ballpark $2k for anything decent.

So while I have no leads to offer you, you have my best wishes on your
quest.

Brendo.

p.s. Have you thought about brazing up your own frame?

In aus.bicycle on Sun, 15 Jul 2007 19:52:41 -0700
Brendo <[email protected]> wrote:

> As a similar sized gorilla (195cm) I can empathise with you. I've been
> looking for a 60cm+ steel frame for a while now, and they just don't
> come up very often. Off the shelf jobs are limited size wise (yes, I
> know Rivendell do large off the shelf frames) and custom jobbies are
> ballpark $2k for anything decent.

Well, it is looking like the frame my friend has in Sydney is for a
taller sort of bod.

I'm waiting for him to give me measurements, hey it is free in Sydney
see if someone can bring it down in the back of their car...

Zebee

Brendo said:

> The problem is I'm 6 foot 6 ish (200cm) and the frame on the donor
> bike is 22-23" so too small for me. Does anyone know where I may be
> able to get a cheap steel frame to fit me from? I've been trawling
> ebay in my local area for some time but to little success. Is there
> anywhere else I should be looking?
>
> Anyone have something they want to sell me? Remember cheapness is key.
> Oh and I'm in Melbourne.
>
> Cheers all.

As a similar sized gorilla (195cm) I can empathise with you. I've been
looking for a 60cm+ steel frame for a while now, and they just don't
come up very often. Off the shelf jobs are limited size wise (yes, I
know Rivendell do large off the shelf frames) and custom jobbies are
ballpark $2k for anything decent.

So while I have no leads to offer you, you have my best wishes on your
quest.

Brendo.

p.s. Have you thought about brazing up your own frame?
an option, could be hard at 200cm though, is to just get longer seat post and stem??

Im 6'5" and ride a 58cm frame as i prefer to feel like i am riding a bike than steering the titanic.

here I go pimping Bicycle Recycle again :)

9555 8692, South Rd, Moorabbin

Does it have to have no derailleur hanger?

> an option, could be hard at 200cm though, is to just get longer seat
> post and stem??
>
> Im 6'5" and ride a 58cm frame as i prefer to feel like i am riding a
> bike than steering the titanic.
>
> --
> byron27-

Out of curiosity, what is your inseam length? With a thin ruler I
measure 101cm. I'm currently on a 60cm c-c, with a 30degree 120mm stem
turned upwards. The seat is lower than it should be for my inseam, but
if I extend it to the correct height, then there is about 15cm from
the top of the seat to the top of the bars. It's fine for smaller
rides, but I can see knee issues with a low seat (or numbness and
shoulder issues for a higher seat) once the km's get higher.

Brendo

On 2007-07-15, [email protected] <[email protected]> wrote:
> Hi all. I'm looking to build up a very cheap single speed road bike
> for going to the pub and shops and generally rolling around on.
>
> I got a very cheap ($35) donor bike from a local Op-Shop. It's got Dia
> Compe brakes, some non-make cranks (which will do for now), nice-ish
> bars and stem, I have a seat and post from an older bike. The wheels
> are good but need a bit of maintenance and a Single speed conversion
> kit put on (Gusset and DMR do fairly cheap kits). I have all other
> parts apart from new bartape, bearings etc...
>
> The problem is I'm 6 foot 6 ish (200cm) and the frame on the donor
> bike is 22-23" so too small for me. Does anyone know where I may be
> able to get a cheap steel frame to fit me from? I've been trawling
> ebay in my local area for some time but to little success. Is there
> anywhere else I should be looking?
>
> Anyone have something they want to sell me? Remember cheapness is key.
> Oh and I'm in Melbourne.
>
> Cheers all.

We've got a couple of large frames at Human Powered Cycles, it's about
$50 for a reasonable quality frame and forks. I think we've got a 60cm
or 62cm 1980s puegeot with the original fork and at least one or two
other larger frame for sale.

38 Harrison St. Brunswick East (next to the Russian Orthobox Church with
the big golden domes)

Cheers

Joel

--
Human Powered Cycles | High quality servicing and repairs
[email protected] | Affordable second hand bikes

On Jul 16, 12:59 pm, Zebee Johnstone <[email protected]> wrote:
> In aus.bicycle on Sun, 15 Jul 2007 19:52:41 -0700
>
> Brendo <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > As a similar sized gorilla (195cm) I can empathise with you. I've been
> > looking for a 60cm+ steel frame for a while now, and they just don't
> > come up very often. Off the shelf jobs are limited size wise (yes, I
> > know Rivendell do large off the shelf frames) and custom jobbies are
> > ballpark $2k for anything decent.

> Well, it is looking like the frame my friend has in Sydney is for a
> taller sort of bod.
>
> I'm waiting for him to give me measurements, hey it is free in Sydney
> see if someone can bring it down in the back of their car...
>
> Zebee

Sadly I'm without car and unlikely to head up to Sydney any time soon.
Cheers though.

On Jul 16, 10:10 am, BT Humble <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Jul 15, 11:28 pm, "[email protected]" <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> > Hi all. I'm looking to build up a very cheap single speed road bike
> > for going to the pub and shops and generally rolling around on.

> > I got a very cheap ($35) donor bike from a local Op-Shop. It's got Dia
> > Compe brakes, some non-make cranks (which will do for now), nice-ish
> > bars and stem, I have a seat and post from an older bike. The wheels
> > are good but need a bit of maintenance and a Single speed conversion
> > kit put on (Gusset and DMR do fairly cheap kits). I have all other
> > parts apart from new bartape, bearings etc...

> > The problem is I'm 6 foot 6 ish (200cm) and the frame on the donor
> > bike is 22-23" so too small for me. Does anyone know where I may be
> > able to get a cheap steel frame to fit me from? I've been trawling
> > ebay in my local area for some time but to little success. Is there
> > anywhere else I should be looking?

> > Anyone have something they want to sell me? Remember cheapness is key.
> > Oh and I'm in Melbourne.

> > Cheers all.

> Oh, or you could visit the bike shed at Ceres in Brunswick:
>
> http://www.ceres.org.au/community/onsitegroups.html#bg
>
> BTH

That looks really cool actually. I may pop along there and have a look
even if I don't get anything.

Cheers.

On Jul 16, 10:06 am, BT Humble <[email protected]> wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:
> > Hi all. I'm looking to build up a very cheap single speed road bike
> > for going to the pub and shops and generally rolling around on.

> > I got a very cheap ($35) donor bike from a local Op-Shop. It's got Dia
> > Compe brakes, some non-make cranks (which will do for now), nice-ish
> > bars and stem, I have a seat and post from an older bike. The wheels
> > are good but need a bit of maintenance and a Single speed conversion
> > kit put on (Gusset and DMR do fairly cheap kits). I have all other
> > parts apart from new bartape, bearings etc...

> > The problem is I'm 6 foot 6 ish (200cm) and the frame on the donor
> > bike is 22-23" so too small for me. Does anyone know where I may be
> > able to get a cheap steel frame to fit me from? I've been trawling
> > ebay in my local area for some time but to little success. Is there
> > anywhere else I should be looking?

> > Anyone have something they want to sell me? Remember cheapness is key.
> > Oh and I'm in Melbourne.

> > Cheers all.

> I believe that Hard Rubbish Season is either underway or about to
> start in your part of the world. There were rich pickings available
> around Glen Waverley last year, from a bicycle point of view. ;-)
>
> http://www.monash.vic.gov.au/maps/static/waste/annual.htm
>
> BTH

I've had a few bits of furniture this way but mostly its ppl dumping
it anyway so I figure I'm saving the council time. We have a
collection by appointment only round these parts (St Kilda) according
to the local council website. I live by an industrial estate and sadly
most stuff gets dumped there. Oh well. Means I get to have a look
through before the council gets it. I got most of a Repco racer this
way. The frame was way too small (20") and only a few parts were
salvagable (some of which are going towards this bike).

On Jul 16, 1:20 pm, byron27 <byron27.2ts...@no-
mx.forums.cyclingforums.com> wrote:
> Brendo Wrote:
>

> > > The problem is I'm 6 foot 6 ish (200cm) and the frame on the donor
> > > bike is 22-23" so too small for me. Does anyone know where I may be
> > > able to get a cheap steel frame to fit me from? I've been trawling
> > > ebay in my local area for some time but to little success. Is there
> > > anywhere else I should be looking?

> > > Anyone have something they want to sell me? Remember cheapness is

> > key.
> > > Oh and I'm in Melbourne.

> > > Cheers all.

> > As a similar sized gorilla (195cm) I can empathise with you. I've been
> > looking for a 60cm+ steel frame for a while now, and they just don't
> > come up very often. Off the shelf jobs are limited size wise (yes, I
> > know Rivendell do large off the shelf frames) and custom jobbies are
> > ballpark $2k for anything decent.

> > So while I have no leads to offer you, you have my best wishes on your
> > quest.

> > Brendo.

> > p.s. Have you thought about brazing up your own frame?

> an option, could be hard at 200cm though, is to just get longer seat
> post and stem??
>
> Im 6'5" and ride a 58cm frame as i prefer to feel like i am riding a
> bike than steering the titanic.
>
> --
> byron27

Do you use a longer stem or a riser?

I know what you mean about big frames though. I guess you get used to
them though.

On Jul 16, 1:31 pm, 531Aussie <531Aussie.2ts...@no-
mx.forums.cyclingforums.com> wrote:
> here I go pimping Bicycle Recycle again :)
>
> 9555 8692, South Rd, Moorabbin
>
> Does it have to have no derailleur hanger?
>
> --
> 531Aussie

No derailer hanger or not I don't mind. Has to be horizontal drops or
track ends though as I don't want to use a tensioner.

Thanks for the address I'll check them out.

[email protected] wrote:
> On Jul 16, 12:32 pm, Terryc <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>[email protected] wrote:
>>
>>>Anyone have something they want to sell me? Remember cheapness is key.
>>>Oh and I'm in Melbourne.

>>I thought Melbourne had a wealth of "bicycle recyling" centres.

> It probably does but I'm new here. So am yet to find any.

Use google groups (or other) to search this news groups. They have been
mentioned a few times before.