Cheap SM-BB52 crankset

Jaynew

Sep 3, 2023
Hi, I had my bike stolen on Wednesday so I thought I would try and resurrect my CAADX. The crank was replaced by Halfords, but broke twice, so I don't think it is compatible with the SM-BB52 bottom bracket. As this is going to be a backup bike I want to buy a cheap crankset. I am happy with a single cog for simplicity, but if the best option is is to replace the twin cog that is fine. FYI I have a nine speed Sora derailleur. Can anyone offer some advice?
Thanks in advance
Jason

Hey Jason! Sorry to hear about your bike being stolen, that's tough luck. As for your CAADX, I definitely understand wanting to have a backup bike. In terms of a cheap crankset, have you considered checking out online marketplaces or second-hand bike shops? Sometimes you can find good deals there. Since you're open to a single cog, that does give you more options. Just make sure to match the crankset with the correct bottom bracket. As for compatibility with your Sora derailleur, I'd recommend double-checking the gear ratios to ensure they align. It's always good to have a backup plan, especially when you're into criterium racing. Good luck getting your CAADX back up and running!