Chiggers

Benjamin Dover

Jun 20, 2003
How does anyone prevent Texas Chigger bites or deal with the ferocious itching that results after they infest the elastic in your socks and cycling shorts? Does anyone have experience with Kerosene, Ohio Blue Tip matches, and an Ice Pick???

Never heard of a Texas Chigger? What are they? Some form of louse? :confused:

Originally posted by Benjamin Dover
How does anyone prevent Texas Chigger bites or deal with the ferocious itching that results after they infest the elastic in your socks and cycling shorts? Does anyone have experience with Kerosene, Ohio Blue Tip matches, and an Ice Pick???

Ben, sprinkle flowers of sulfur around your sock tops. It won't improve your smell but it will help keep chiggers off. If that's to late, get under a good light, locate the little bugger and scratch it off. Nothing feels better than scratching off a chigger. Apply a little an alcohol or antiseptic. An old southern standby is Dr. Tichenor's Antiseptic. Wish you luck.

OK, chigger = tick.

* wondering how a chigger ends up in the elastic of one's cycling shorts? *

Vo2, NO! Not ticks. Chiggers are very small mites that live in grass or at times on tree stumps. They usually crawl until they find a soft spot on a chosen victim to stop and bite. If they were as large as a house fly, I suspect they would bit your leg off. They make a red spot which itches madly. On some people they become red sores. If you have never experienced chiggers I suspect you never ventured south of the Mason Dixon line. See what you are missing?

Now I remember why I wont move back to Texas......

Those things are pesky, and can cause a heck of a sore on your leg...diffenantly use an antiseptic spray on those bites.