Recumbent bicycles · Public discussion

China Bikes and Lanes

Started by Al Kubeluis · · Last activity · 7 posts · 857 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Recumbent bicycles
Published
23 February 2003
Last activity
24 February 2003
Original author
Al Kubeluis
Posts
7
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
857
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–7 of 7
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Yo Bikers, Friend of mine is in China and sent following.
    --
    ~~~al.kubeluis..md.usa.earth.sun.milkyway.virgo.universe..corsa~~~

    Except for Yao Ming, I am the tallest person here. There are some foreigners but only in the tourist
    area near the Bund in the Nanking shopping district here in Shanghai. We are 13 hours ahead of you
    so I right this on Sunday morning while it is Saturday night there. It is a city of contrasts. Some
    mornings it is so foggy and smoggy that I can't see beyond
    1/2 mile. Other days, I can see for miles.

    As we have driven around, I have seen the Shanghai of the 50s and 60s and the Shanghai of today. In
    the old days, everyone's dream was to have a basic apartment, a bicycle, a radio, fan, etc. Over the
    last 7 years the city has undergone a construction boom and the area around Pudong across from the
    Bund is ultra modern skyscrapers with modern architecture. It is truly incredible unlike any I have
    seen in the U.S. In this area, the dream is to own a modern condo, with a car (lots of Volkswagen
    and Buick), big screen TV, air conditioning etc. You see both in the city. Every road has a huge
    bike lane and people use it. There are cars as well. There are 6 million bicyles in Shanghai.

    Food, people, everything is different and interesting. People are friendly, helpful and curious.
    China has the financial leverage and low labor rates capable of making it the next great economic
    power. I have truly enjoyed this week even though all of it has been work. Should go to tea gardens
    today if time permits.

    There weather has been so bad that I wasn't able to get good pictures yesterday and Sunday looks
    similar. I will try to get postcards or a picture book.

    Jim

  2. When we visited Shanghai in the mid-1980s, we walked along the Bund on a Sunday morning and were
    literally surrounded by dense crowds of hundreds of curious but mostly-smiling Chinese who wanted to
    look at us, talk to us in their minimal English and actually reach out and physically touch us. My
    wife and I were the first live Caucasians they had ever seen. Parents carried their
    one-child-per-couple proudly and the tots were gloriously dressed in multi-colored outfits. These
    "only" children were visibly worshipped by their beaming parents. We also had a fabulous boat trip
    on the Yangtze River, much of which was endlessly lined with obviously polluting light. medium and
    heavy industry. We also visited the Great Wall before there were any tourist accommodations there.
    We were taken to the Great Wall in a Toyota van that bounced and shuddered all the way from Beijing
    to the Great Wall over a two lane, largely broken concrete and sometimes gravel road. We passed lots
    of pedestrians, a number of one-lung gas-powered two wheel carts and some bicycles. The public
    toilets at the Wall ( as in many places) were still pit toilets.

    In Beijing, all the boulevards and streets were crowded with thousands upon thousands of bicycles
    and very, very few motor vehicles ... a few trucks and the occasional military or government car.
    The bikes bunched up by the hundreds at major street intersection traffic lights and in one big
    mass, accelerated away from a dead stop the second the traffic policeman on an elevated platform
    gave the signal. Our (mandatory) guide, a government employee who was head of the Beijing tourist
    office, rode his bike 18 or 20 miles each day to work and home again, weather notwithstanding. And
    Beijing's climate is very similar to the northeastern U.S.

    The Bund looked like a movie set right out of 1930's Cleveland, Ohio. (Yes, I do know what "old
    Cleveland" looked like. I lived in Ohio for 15 years, commencing with college in 1946 and worked for
    the Cleveland Press from 1956-61. )

    Each morning for three straight days, we were driven to the tiny, antiquated Shanghai Airport at
    excruciatingly slow speeds through streets crowded from edge to edge with pedestrians and bicycles,
    the driver steadily honking his horn every few seconds in a hopeless attempt to clear the way. The
    first two days we were told that the flight to Xian had been cancelled and we were returned to our
    hotel in Shanghai, where we continued to enjoy the sights until the next day. Finally, on the third
    day we took off for Xian in a very old, tired, noisy medium-size Russian-built commercial aircraft.
    No one ever told us "why" the delays.
    --
    Gator Bob Siegel EasyRacers Ti Rush

    "Al Kubeluis" <[email hidden]> wrote in message

    Quoted message said:

    Yo Bikers, Friend of mine is in China and sent following.

    Quoted message said:

    Except for Yao Ming, I am the tallest person here. There are some foreigners but only in the
    tourist area near the Bund in the Nanking shopping district here in Shanghai. We are 13 hours
    ahead of you so I


    right

    Quoted message said:

    this on Sunday morning while it is Saturday night there. It is a city of contrasts. Some mornings
    it is so foggy and smoggy that I can't see


    beyond

    Quoted message said:

    1/2 mile. Other days, I can see for miles.

    As we have driven around, I have seen the Shanghai of the 50s and 60s and the Shanghai of today.
    In the old days, everyone's dream was to have a basic apartment, a bicycle, a radio, fan, etc.
    Over the last 7 years the city has undergone a construction boom and the area around Pudong across
    from the Bund is ultra modern skyscrapers with modern architecture. It is truly incredible unlike
    any I have seen in the U.S. In this area, the


    dream

    Quoted message said:

    is to own a modern condo, with a car (lots of Volkswagen and Buick), big screen TV, air
    conditioning etc. You see both in the city. Every road


    has

    Quoted message said:

    a huge bike lane and people use it. There are cars as well. There are 6 million bicycles in
    Shanghai.

    Food, people, everything is different and interesting. People are


    friendly,

    Quoted message said:

    helpful and curious. China has the financial leverage and low labor rates capable of making it the
    next great economic power. I have truly enjoyed this week even though all of it has been work.
    Should go to tea gardens today if time permits.

    There weather has been so bad that I wasn't able to get good pictures yesterday and Sunday looks
    similar. I will try to get postcards or a picture book.

    Jim

  3. In article <[email hidden]>, [email hidden] says...

    Quoted message said:

    Except for Yao Ming, I am the tallest person here.


    Your friend was in Houston???

    --
    Cletus D. Lee Bacchetta Giro Lightning Voyager clee.orgclee.org
    - Bellaire, TX USA -

  4. Al Kubeluis said:

    Yo Bikers, Friend of mine is in China and sent following.
    --
    ~~~al.kubeluis..md.usa.earth.sun.milkyway.virgo.universe..corsa~~~

    Except for Yao Ming, I am the tallest person here. There are some foreigners but only in the
    tourist area near the Bund in the Nanking shopping district here in Shanghai. We are 13 hours
    ahead of you so I right this on Sunday morning while it is Saturday night there. It is a city of
    contrasts. Some mornings it is so foggy and smoggy that I can't see beyond
    1/2 mile. Other days, I can see for miles.

    As we have driven around, I have seen the Shanghai of the 50s and 60s and the Shanghai of today.
    In the old days, everyone's dream was to have a basic apartment, a bicycle, a radio, fan, etc.
    Over the last 7 years the city has undergone a construction boom and the area around Pudong across
    from the Bund is ultra modern skyscrapers with modern architecture. It is truly incredible unlike
    any I have seen in the U.S. In this area, the dream is to own a modern condo, with a car (lots of
    Volkswagen and Buick), big screen TV, air conditioning etc. You see both in the city. Every road
    has a huge bike lane and people use it. There are cars as well. There are 6 million bicyles in
    Shanghai.

    Food, people, everything is different and interesting. People are friendly, helpful and curious.
    China has the financial leverage and low labor rates capable of making it the next great economic
    power. I have truly enjoyed this week even though all of it has been work. Should go to tea
    gardens today if time permits.

    There weather has been so bad that I wasn't able to get good pictures yesterday and Sunday looks
    similar. I will try to get postcards or a picture book.

    Jim

    There are some pictures from my trip to Shanghai last summer at
    hofl.toe.doomcom.orgshanghai , which may give you an idea of what Jim is talking
    about. Lots of HPV content.

    -- Dave Strauss

  5. What software did you use? That's outstanding even at 56K downloads.

    --
    Gator Bob Siegel EasyRacers Ti Rush

    "Dave Strauss" >> There are some pictures from my trip to Shanghai last summer

    Quoted message said:

    at hofl.toe.doomcom.orgshanghai , which may give you an idea of what Jim is
    talking about. Lots of HPV content.

  6. Robert Siegel said:


    What software did you use? That's outstanding even at 56K downloads.

    --
    Gator Bob Siegel EasyRacers Ti Rush

    "Dave Strauss" >> There are some pictures from my trip to Shanghai last summer

    Quoted message said:

    at hofl.toe.doomcom.orgshanghai , which may give you an idea of what Jim is
    talking about. Lots of HPV content.

    Primarily I use a Linux utility called "xloadimage", plus a bash script I wrote to create
    all the html.

    -- Dave Strauss

  7. Correction. We visited Shanghai (and much of China) in the Fall of 1983, to be precise.

    --
    Gator Bob Siegel EasyRacers Ti Rush "Robert Siegel" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:

    When we visited Shanghai in the mid-1980s,

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.